LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Indy Shop/Firestone Can NOT do alignment on my 2013 LX570. Lexus DEALERSHIP ONLY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 02:26 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Indy Shop/Firestone Can NOT do alignment on my 2013 LX570. Lexus DEALERSHIP ONLY?

Indy Shop/Firestone Can NOT do alignment on my 2013 LX570. Lexus DEALERSHIP ONLY?

Is this true?

Anyone able to confirm this? Thanks
Old 11-30-17, 03:27 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus

Is this true?

Anyone able to confirm this? Thanks
Why did Firestone say they could not do alignment??

indy shop in Boise, LTS Motors, can check and adjust caster, camber and alignment with no issues. Same specs for an LX and a Land Cruiser, so a local Toyota dealer can also check steering alignment.

Last edited by hankinid; 11-30-17 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 05:03 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a very good Indy I use for my Porsche and Audi, and had very bad luck with them doing LX alignment. Don't know why.
Old 11-30-17, 06:18 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The same Firestone shop did our RX450h a few days ago without any issues. I got a print out of before and after graphical layout diagrams with specs. All good.

But earlier today, as soon as they put the LX570 on the rack they said can not do, "too complicated and the SUV is to NICE to mess around". I guess they are trying to say, they don't know what to do with the LX570.

I called our local Toyota dealership and they ARE NOT SURE if they can do it???? WHAT DID I JUST HEAR ? That's right, they are "not sure" until they put it on the racks. I reminded them that the LX570 is the sister vehicle to the Land Cruiser. They said they will have to see when I get there.

Anybody know if Toyota can do 4 wheel alignment on the LX570? I DON'T SEE WHY NOT. We had our RX450h serviced in that Toyota dealership for brake fluid flush. I would think Toyota has access to TechStream????

Thanks

Originally Posted by hankinid
Why did Firestone say they could not do alignment??

indy shop in Boise, LTS Motors, can check and adjust caster, camber and alignment with no issues. Same specs for an LX and a Land Cruiser, so a local Toyota dealer can also check steering alignment.
Old 11-30-17, 08:47 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Anybody know if Toyota can do 4 wheel alignment on the LX570? I DON'T SEE WHY NOT. We had our RX450h serviced in that Toyota dealership for brake fluid flush. I would think Toyota has access to TechStream????

Thanks
2 things...first, find another Toyota dealer.

Second...afaik, only the front wheels can be aligned on a 200 series. The rear end is non-irs, obviously. It's fixed in position with upper and lower trailing arms on both sides, and a Panhard rod to control side-to-side movement. Looking at a diagram (blow up full size if it doesn't open that way) shows nothing adjustable on the rear suspension...
https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_20...1460-4804.html
I selected Land Cruiser as that's what I drive, but the rear end support are identical to an LX...only difference is hydraulic shocks and lighter springs on the LX.

I was offered 4-wheel alignment on wife's horse hauler Dodge 2500...manager heard the offer and apologized...gave a minor butt chewing to the guy who made the offer.
Old 11-30-17, 09:37 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Thanks for the information.

I will keep all posted on the progress.

2 things...first, find another Toyota dealer.

Second...afaik, only the front wheels can be aligned on a 200 series. The rear end is non-irs, obviously. It's fixed in position with upper and lower trailing arms on both sides, and a Panhard rod to control side-to-side movement. Looking at a diagram (blow up full size if it doesn't open that way) shows nothing adjustable on the rear suspension...
https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_20...1460-4804.html
I selected Land Cruiser as that's what I drive, but the rear end support are identical to an LX...only difference is hydraulic shocks and lighter springs on the LX.

I was offered 4-wheel alignment on wife's horse hauler Dodge 2500...manager heard the offer and apologized...gave a minor butt chewing to the guy who made the offer.
Old 12-01-17, 12:08 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

I think it has to do with the variable suspension, whatever Lexus calls it, the kneeling when shutting off and the ability to raise when desired. And, this is a feature that is not on the Land Cruiser. I've read some sad stories about people having their LX repaired/serviced at a Toyota dealer. The LX and the Land Cruiser are different. Yes, I know they are the same platform, but they are different.
Old 12-01-17, 12:16 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
I think it has to do with the variable suspension, whatever Lexus calls it, the kneeling when shutting off and the ability to raise when desired. And, this is a feature that is not on the Land Cruiser. I've read some sad stories about people having their LX repaired/serviced at a Toyota dealer. The LX and the Land Cruiser are different. Yes, I know they are the same platform, but they are different.
This is true just here in the USA. Land Cruiser is available with AHC in other countries.
Old 12-01-17, 01:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Lexus calls it "Automatic Height Control" aka AHC. That feature was available in the North American market in, iirc, 2006 and 2007 MY's.

Alignment on the front end is normally done with the engine running (if the truck has the auto-kneeling feature), and doors closed...and that is per the FSM information.

No question that the LX and LC are "different". I've read just as many sad stories about people having their LX worked on at a Lexus dealer, where the service department had zero ideas on how to remedy a simple issue. As I've posted before, great mechanics and parts folks end up starting their own independent shop, or working for one. In this case, the "difference" is immaterial as parts are identical and AHC, as I explained, is set to normal height and any "comfort" setting.

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
This is true just here in the USA. Land Cruiser is available with AHC in other countries.
ClaytonW, you beat me to it. The variety of options in other worldwide LX markets is astounding. I'd an give an eye tooth for a diesel 200 or 100 series.
Old 12-01-17, 02:16 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
But the original poster is from California. So what is your point. Traveling in Europe you can see many different models of almost every vehicle sold here in the U.S.

A vehicle with AHC showing up in a Toyota shop may be very unique to that shop, or any independent shop. I was just at my indy this afternoon where they had a Ferreri, Masserati, 240Z, classic 32 Ford hotrod, Carman Giha, various Mercs, air and water cooled Porsches, Audis etc. As I've said they do excellent work. But, I doubt they had seen a Lexus with AHC before mine and therefore were not well equipped to do the wheel alignment. The same is true for a Toyota shop.
Old 12-01-17, 02:30 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The later 100 series cruisers had AHC so any Toyota dealer should be able to handle it. Both our LX570s have been aligned at the Toyota dealership as my friend works there with no issues so it pretty odd to hear they are not sure. The only thing different with the AHC vehicle is they first have to check the hub to fender height to make sure its within spec and if not they adjust the AHC first to get the normal height correct and then go from there like a normal alignment. If you ask them to just align without adjusting height they can do that also as I did a sensor lift and wanted it aligned at the new higher normal setting vs. stock. Again, It was not an issue. I think it may be that some service advisers are not that knowledgeable on all the intricacies. The techs who do the work who have actually been trained on these systems are much more knowledgeable.
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 02:58 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

But the original poster is from California. So what is your point. Traveling in Europe you can see many different models of almost every vehicle sold here in the U.S.

A vehicle with AHC showing up in a Toyota shop may be very unique to that shop, or any independent shop. I was just at my indy this afternoon where they had a Ferreri, Masserati, 240Z, classic 32 Ford hotrod, Carman Giha, various Mercs, air and water cooled Porsches, Audis etc. As I've said they do excellent work. But, I doubt they had seen a Lexus with AHC before mine and therefore were not well equipped to do the wheel alignment. The same is true for a Toyota shop.
That's why you find a shop specializing in Toyota products...they do Lexus, Toyota, and Scion. My local Toyota dealer is far more familiar than the other Toyota / Lexus store in the area. It's definitely location dependent.
Old 12-03-17, 12:07 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, I'm located in SoCal and so is the LX570 in question. I would go to a "Lexus dealership", but it is a little distance and a good bit of travel time especially now with all that holiday traffic. There is a Toyota dealership right close.

I​​​​​​ will keep everyone posted when we go in this coming week later on.

I realize that there are various variants of the LC/LX platforms around the world and it is impossible for someone to be familiar with ALL variants right at their finger tips. The important thing is for the tech to realize it is beyond his/her expertise and to call others for help when the occasion arrises.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Old 12-04-17, 06:03 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Update:

Just got done at my local Toyota dealership. Total for $175 all inclusive for both alignment and Brake fluid flush. I have coupons for $89 alignment and $79 for brake fluid flush. A lot more convenient.

All good.

That's why you find a shop specializing in Toyota products...they do Lexus, Toyota, and Scion. My local Toyota dealer is far more familiar than the other Toyota / Lexus store in the area. It's definitely location dependent.