LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Considering purchase of LX 570 or LC200

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 06:59 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Considering purchase of LX 570 or LC200

Hey CL family. I'm a long time member and usually active on the ISF forum as I have had my 2008 Lexus ISF since new. I love the car, it only has 75k miles on it.
I recently moved from the SF Bayarea of California to the ChicagoLand area. My problem is that the window of time I get to drive the ISF is so small! I don't drive it in the winter (snow and salt) and with Max Performance Summer Only tires it gets a bit hairy once the temp drops to the 40s F! So it ends up parked a lot. On top of that the roads here are in terrible condition and there are no fun roads to take for a drive (it is incredibly FLAT here, no twisty mountain roads).

So Plan B: sell the ISF and my winter beater ('04 Volvo XC70) and get a LX 570 that I can drive year round and have some fun with in the woods. I'm looking at 2011-2013 vehicles as they fall into my price range for this purchase. Is there anything I should be aware of between years? Problems I should be aware of or look for? Recalls or common repairs that should be taken care of? What things did those that already own these vehicles think about when they made their decision. Did you consider the LX to the Land Cruiser? I like the luxury features but also want to be able to take it off road (I have a feeling many of these vehicles never see anything but pavement). Are there mileage concerns I should have about finding a car? Many in the preowned market seem to have A LOT of miles on the clock like they are popular commuter cars.

Thanks for the help!
Andy
Old 11-30-17, 12:58 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Buy the newest lowest mileage one you can afford and then where you live I make sure you had it treated underneath every year with fluid film so you don’t get rust damage
Old 11-30-17, 03:41 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Hey CL family. I'm a long time member and usually active on the ISF forum as I have had my 2008 Lexus ISF since new. I love the car, it only has 75k miles on it.
I recently moved from the SF Bayarea of California to the ChicagoLand area. My problem is that the window of time I get to drive the ISF is so small! I don't drive it in the winter (snow and salt) and with Max Performance Summer Only tires it gets a bit hairy once the temp drops to the 40s F! So it ends up parked a lot. On top of that the roads here are in terrible condition and there are no fun roads to take for a drive (it is incredibly FLAT here, no twisty mountain roads).

So Plan B: sell the ISF and my winter beater ('04 Volvo XC70) and get a LX 570 that I can drive year round and have some fun with in the woods. I'm looking at 2011-2013 vehicles as they fall into my price range for this purchase. Is there anything I should be aware of between years? Problems I should be aware of or look for? Recalls or common repairs that should be taken care of? What things did those that already own these vehicles think about when they made their decision. Did you consider the LX to the Land Cruiser? I like the luxury features but also want to be able to take it off road (I have a feeling many of these vehicles never see anything but pavement). Are there mileage concerns I should have about finding a car? Many in the preowned market seem to have A LOT of miles on the clock like they are popular commuter cars.

Thanks for the help!
Andy
I had the same decision when I bought my'13 Land Cruiser...price right, mileage low, all maintenance done on time at Lexus dealer where purchased. I found it in Spokane, WA and had a deal done the same day it was first advertised. Flew up the next morning, wrote a check, and drove her home. No "shoulda' got an LX" thoughts whatsoever. My wife drives an '01 LX, both trucks definitely get off the road as there are thousands of miles of fire roads in the boondocks to explore and camp at...exactly why Toyota designed them.

Toyota exports very few 200 series trucks to North America...be prepared to travel for a good one, especially in the winter. Toyota designs the trucks for 250K miles if you do your homework with PM. Ih8mud.com is the Nexus of all things Land Cruiser and LX if you have more questions... https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/200-...-cruisers.136/ . Once you find one you like, you can input the VIN on toyota or lexus.com in the owners sections, and see any maintenance done as well as maintenance recommended but declined by the owner.

PM me if you need more and have fun shopping.

hth

Steve
Old 12-01-17, 06:12 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Thanks Steve! Yes, I've been lurking on ih8mud for a few years now. Almost pulled the trigger on a FZJ80 with lockers but then decided instead of adding a 4th vehicle to our stable I would look at newer models and keep us at 3.
Old 12-02-17, 08:51 AM
virulosity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a bottom dollar 2009 with 155k miles on it. Other than the paint on the hood and bumper, you can barely tell its not a relatively new car (drivers seat is perfect!), quite different than my ISF....). The interior materials hold up extremely well, aside from the wood veneer which has peeled in a few spots. This is one of the nicest riding machines I have ever owned, but there are a few types of bumps that transmit more NVH than my previous 4runner. I suspect changing the 20" wheels for 18s will help significantly. Living in CA, it is easy to find a car that is totally rust free, just check the carfax and make sure it has always been a CA car. It is also nice when it has been dealer serviced as the entire maintenance history is available on the carfax as well. One thing I would pay attention to is some vibration in the steering and gas pedal at ~1800rpm. This is attributed to a bearing in the transfer case that is expensive to fix. It isn't something that has been known to "fail" but it is worse in some cars then others and I have seen others post that it bothers them. Mine fortunately is barely detectable and only under certain driving conditions.
Old 12-02-17, 10:01 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by virulosity
I bought a bottom dollar 2009 with 155k miles on it. Other than the paint on the hood and bumper, you can barely tell its not a relatively new car (drivers seat is perfect!), quite different than my ISF....). The interior materials hold up extremely well, aside from the wood veneer which has peeled in a few spots. This is one of the nicest riding machines I have ever owned, but there are a few types of bumps that transmit more NVH than my previous 4runner. I suspect changing the 20" wheels for 18s will help significantly. Living in CA, it is easy to find a car that is totally rust free, just check the carfax and make sure it has always been a CA car. It is also nice when it has been dealer serviced as the entire maintenance history is available on the carfax as well. One thing I would pay attention to is some vibration in the steering and gas pedal at ~1800rpm. This is attributed to a bearing in the transfer case that is expensive to fix. It isn't something that has been known to "fail" but it is worse in some cars then others and I have seen others post that it bothers them. Mine fortunately is barely detectable and only under certain driving conditions.
put some heavier LT tire's on it will handle the bumps better. These beasts should of come from the factory with LT tire's. I'm running BFG AT/KO's 285/55/20. Love them
Old 12-12-17, 05:34 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

I found a super clean and well maintained one owner LX570. Now I’m on the fence about pulling the trigger on it. I still love my ISF and will miss the speed and handling but only get that a few times a year and not at all during winter. Now doing the math to see if I can have both and sit on the ISF. Wondering when the prices will bottom out on the ISF.
Old 12-12-17, 08:55 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I found a super clean and well maintained one owner LX570. Now I’m on the fence about pulling the trigger on it. I still love my ISF and will miss the speed and handling but only get that a few times a year and not at all during winter. Now doing the math to see if I can have both and sit on the ISF. Wondering when the prices will bottom out on the ISF.
resell really sucks on the ISF they’re great cars but plan for a sales terrible I would hold onto that just get pick you up at LAX
Old 12-13-17, 09:37 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Max707
put some heavier LT tire's on it will handle the bumps better. These beasts should of come from the factory with LT tire's. I'm running BFG AT/KO's 285/55/20. Love them
I think P-rated tires are a joke on a truck that weighs 5880 with a full tank, me, and a dog or 2. My '13 came with oem 18" wheels, so it's Toyo AT II's LT285-75x18 for 8 or 9 months out of the year, and Blizzaks on 18" zero mileage Tundra take-offs in the winter. Be advised that some LX's come with 21" wheels, which SEVERELY limits your tire choices.
Old 12-13-17, 04:08 PM
zink
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased a 2017 LX but initially wanted a new LC. After finally seeing the interior of the LC, I just couldn't justify the expense, the interior was dated and felt cheap. The LX is so much better put together on the interior but I was skeptical of off-road performance. After doing some research I realized with the right wheels and all-terrain tires the LX was just as capable as an LC. I have validated the LX off-road ability over a few mountain passes in Colorado and through the gumbo of Texas and am impressed.
Old 12-20-17, 12:23 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Well I jumped in and bought it. She is adjusting well to the new cliimate (bought in TX, live in IL) and get's along with her stablemate, my ISF. Keeping the F!
Old 12-21-17, 05:17 AM
SaraEv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a son who will soon be 16, and I want to buy him Lexus lx570 2011. I have a 2008 Lx, but for kids all the best is how do you think I'll make the right decision about buying such a car to him? . What types of insurance policies exist for minors and how does it work? Thank you.
Old 12-21-17, 06:31 AM
JohnA411
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus insurance

Originally Posted by SaraEv
I have a son who will soon be 16, and I want to buy him Lexus lx570 2011. I have a 2008 Lx, but for kids all the best is how do you think I'll make the right decision about buying such a car to him? . What types of insurance policies exist for minors and how does it work? Thank you.
Hi my Lexus lx570 was made in 2012, and before this was Lexus lx570 made in 2007 and I can say that the new machine is much better and less likely to break. Very cool of course gift to his son, probably he is a fine fellow), I can advise you only what is better to take with 4 doors, since it will be easier, but I think you will make the right choice. With regard to insurance, I have been working as an insurance broker for many years and I can advise you to read this site .http://www.autoinsurancevegas.com/ How much I would not look for different sites, on this you will find the most current insurance and information about them.
And yes I think you can take his car =)
Good luck!
Old 12-21-17, 09:17 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaraEv
I'd be more inclined to let him drive the '08. Insurance for minors is not an issue if you can stand the yearly premium. As with any insurance, you need to get multiple quotes prior to signing up with any company...a local agent you can trust is invaluable. Can't tell by "CA" if you're in Canada or California, but if you're in California the state insurance board shows the number of consumer complaints for each company.

The LX is derived and made on the same assembly line as Land Cruisers. Toyota designs the Cruiser for a 25 year / 250K mileage life. It is NOT true as posted above that "the new machine is much better and less likely to break". There are plenty of '08's driving around with high mileage and zero issues. My wife drives a 2001 LX470 that's had zero unscheduled maintenance items in +190K miles.

Having raised 3 boys, I'd be looking for more of a beater for the kid, v. a 3 ton truck that will get to 60mph in less than 8 seconds. Good luck with whatever you do, and be sitting down when you get the insurance quote.

Last edited by hankinid; 12-21-17 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-21-17, 12:13 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

I'll add that my wife commutes through rain, snow, sleet, and hail in a 2001 LX. It has had no unscheduled maintenance in a bit over 190K miles. We'd drive it across country on a moment's notice. Going rate on a truck like that should be a bit over $10K.

Quick Reply: Considering purchase of LX 570 or LC200