pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

in canada everything is "sped up" lol. I will have a look
Old 01-25-18, 05:36 AM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car has no timing belt so when should one change the water pump and thermostat?
in my other cars with timing belt I replace the thermostat and water pump when I
do the timing belt service.
Old 01-25-18, 06:33 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ships10
This car has no timing belt so when should one change the water pump and thermostat?
in my other cars with timing belt I replace the thermostat and water pump when I
Replace thermostat when water pump starts leaking and needs to be replaced. These are not maintance items.
The following users liked this post:
ships10 (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 10:48 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
I think the owners manual show 120k miles
Spark plugs...I replaced oem Denso iridium's at 85K for s & g's. The gap on all 8 was huge v. new Denso replacements. I've scheduled next spark plug R&R at another 75K.

At the latest, pump and t'stat should be replaced as soon as you see signs of leakage (dry, spongy dried residue from SLLC). Collective opinion on mud is at 120K for PM, since you've got other major maintenance items at that mileage.
The following users liked this post:
ships10 (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 12:39 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

huh mine is at 95k, you think the plugs should be done then? What do stealerships charge for that these days?
Old 01-25-18, 06:10 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pizdets17
huh mine is at 95k, you think the plugs should be done then? What do stealerships charge for that these days?
I'd guess north of $30 per plug but really no idea as it's an easy diy.

Heater hoses at passenger side rear of engine need removal to get to #8. That means draining half a gallon or so of coolant
so they can be removed without spilling anti-freeze all over. You'd also be well served to replace the heater hose "T's" while you're in there. Lexus sells the two 3-hose assemblies only, so you ask for the plastic T's for a Sequoia or Sienna...same exact T but sold separately.

If you do get it done at a dealer or indy shop, let us know the $$$ damages.
Old 01-26-18, 05:54 AM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hankinid
Spark plugs...I replaced oem Denso iridium's at 85K for s & g's. The gap on all 8 was huge v. new Denso replacements. I've scheduled next spark plug R&R at another 75K.

At the latest, pump and t'stat should be replaced as soon as you see signs of leakage (dry, spongy dried residue from SLLC). Collective opinion on mud is at 120K for PM, since you've got other major maintenance items at that mileage.
Sorry kinda new here ...what is MUD and pm?
Old 01-26-18, 07:15 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Sorry kinda new here ...what is MUD and pm?
"MUD' is a website filled with info on the 200 series trucks... https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/200-...-cruisers.136/

"PM" is preventative maintenance.

hth
Old 01-26-18, 10:18 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

As soon as I hear "draining coolant" I am thinking dealer lol. I think oil changes and brakes are as far as my diy skills take me, I was never great with my hands. My next service will be in March so will see what the dealer says. Thanks for the advice

Heater hoses at passenger side rear of engine need removal to get to #8. That means draining half a gallon or so of coolant
so they can be removed without spilling anti-freeze all over. You'd also be well served to replace the heater hose "T's" while you're in there. Lexus sells the two 3-hose assemblies only, so you ask for the plastic T's for a Sequoia or Sienna...same exact T but sold separately.

Old 01-26-18, 10:48 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

I got the "personal recommendation maintenance" from Lexus website. looks like spark plugs are not for a while yet. thoughts?

Attached Files
Old 01-26-18, 12:46 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

As soon as I hear "draining coolant" I am thinking dealer lol. I think oil changes and brakes are as far as my diy skills take me, I was never great with my hands. My next service will be in March so will see what the dealer says. Thanks for the advice
Coolant draining is a breeze. Get two 1 gallon milk jugs or similar, and about 2 feet of clear vinyl tubing (HD or Lowes). Push one end of the tubing over the radiator drain nipple, and the other end in the jug. Open the drain valve and fill the jug. If it looks like it will drain more than a gallon, pinch the tubing with your fingers to stop the flow and use the other milk jug. Once the flow stops, you're ready to remove the heater hoses (6 total) and replace the T's. If you can do brakes and oil changes, you'll find out we're not talking brain surgery here.
Old 01-26-18, 01:16 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

someone should make a video lol
Old 01-26-18, 08:18 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

someone should make a video lol
Search for 5.7 Tundra drain coolant on utube...same process, same engine.
Old 01-26-18, 10:29 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

great idea!
Old 01-29-18, 05:25 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm clumsy. In addition, I don't have a lift nor the tools. (Although the tools are easy to get) I prefer to pay a little extra (about $170.00 for oil change, tire rotation, inspection and a loaner) and let the dealer do it. Besides, I drop it off early in the morning, go to work and pick it up at the end of the day. The money I would have saved doing it myself I more than make up for it by going to work. Not to mention that I prefer my work over changing the oil. While I have great respect for those who do it themselves, I would be hesitant to buy a car from such people since I don't know their skill level, if and when they serviced their car, etc, etc. One other note... I've noticed that in markets, such as Southern California, where I'm at, as a result of a lot of competition, the service quality is excellent. In smaller markets that have only one dealer, the quality of the service tends to drop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Routine Maintenance