Looking At '08 LX570, but with undercarraige rust

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 03:11 AM
crtfour
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking At '08 LX570, but with undercarraige rust

Good Morning,

I currently have an LR3 which I love but am looking at the LX's since I need something a little bigger and more towing power. I never though much about the LX until sitting in one and driving one and now this is the vehicle I want. I'm looking at an '08 model immaculate with 41k miles that could be purchased for trade in value. The only thing that has me concerned is a rusty undercarriage. I'm in the south and I actually have two vehicles that were northern vehicles (which after purchasing them I went underneath myself and removed the rust that I could and sprayed rust inhibitor). As compared to my other vehicles, the LX looks significantly worse underneath than my other 2 vehicles despite fewer miles in northern conditions.

I attached some pictures. On some of the heavy areas you could pretty much rub the rust with your fingers and it would fall to the ground.

Would this make you guys hesitant or not really?

Thank you,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Looking At '08 LX570, but with undercarraige rust-lexus-1.png   Looking At '08 LX570, but with undercarraige rust-lexus-2.jpg   Looking At '08 LX570, but with undercarraige rust-lexus-3.jpg   Looking At '08 LX570, but with undercarraige rust-lexus-4.jpg  
Old 09-13-17, 10:28 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Personally, I'd walk away. If the underbody sheet metal is removed, I'll bet you'll see even more rust. Given just what I see here, I'd have to say the truck is definitely not "immaculate".

Get to lexus.com, register in the owners section and input the VIN...I think it will be interesting to see where the truck was initially delivered and the lexus web page will give you all service information on the truck since it was new, assuming it was serviced at a lexus dealer. I'd also check service items that were required based on time v. mileage. I would not like to drain and flush the AHC system if its had the same fluid for almost 10 years...same with all other fluids in the truck.
Old 09-13-17, 10:47 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Which state did this LX come from? NY?

I would pass on this car, no matter how much the dealership discounts it. Keep looking for one that's from the South (watch out for recent TX or FL cars due to poss flooding) or West Coast.
Old 09-13-17, 10:57 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Run away!!!
Old 09-14-17, 04:47 AM
crtfour
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the replies. I did end up passing. It was at a Manheim auction (from which I have bought my current cars from and they have been great), but with auction cars you can't take them out to have inspected (such as removing the pans on this one in order to look further).

This one came out of Maryland. It's a shame about the rust b/c it's a 1 owner, no accident vehicle. Also the paint and interior were absolutely immaculate when I looked it over. It ended up selling for $33,600.

Thanks again and I will continue my search and hopefully will post back here soon saying that I found one!

Rob
Old 09-14-17, 10:50 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I wonder if you had one of the following inspection scopes to look around (Do they allow it at the auction?). I have the cheaper scope ,$79 at Harbor Freight:

Originally Posted by crtfour
Thank you for the replies. I did end up passing. It was at a Manheim auction (from which I have bought my current cars from and they have been great), but with auction cars you can't take them out to have inspected (such as removing the pans on this one in order to look further).

This one came out of Maryland. It's a shame about the rust b/c it's a 1 owner, no accident vehicle. Also the paint and interior were absolutely immaculate when I looked it over. It ended up selling for $33,600.

Thanks again and I will continue my search and hopefully will post back here soon saying that I found one!

Rob
Old 09-27-17, 05:53 AM
crtfour
Driver School Candidate

That's a good idea with the scope and it would be allowed. Once inside the auction gates, you are allowed to inspect it as long as you want. They even leave the keys in all the vehicles and they can be driven around the yard. They actually do a very good inspection resulting in a very detailed report when the vehicles arrive but unfortunately the undercarriage is not included.

Anyway, the search is still on for another one.
Old 09-28-17, 10:18 AM
Driver School Candidate

I have one up for sale, located in toronto Canada. 2011 ultra-premium, around 70000 miles. all dealer maintained since day 1. extended warranty up to Jun 2020.
Do you have interest?
Old 11-12-18, 07:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Good Morning,

I currently have an LR3 which I love but am looking at the LX's since I need something a little bigger and more towing power. I never though much about the LX until sitting in one and driving one and now this is the vehicle I want. I'm looking at an '08 model immaculate with 41k miles that could be purchased for trade in value. The only thing that has me concerned is a rusty undercarriage. I'm in the south and I actually have two vehicles that were northern vehicles (which after purchasing them I went underneath myself and removed the rust that I could and sprayed rust inhibitor). As compared to my other vehicles, the LX looks significantly worse underneath than my other 2 vehicles despite fewer miles in northern conditions.

I attached some pictures. On some of the heavy areas you could pretty much rub the rust with your fingers and it would fall to the ground.

Would this make you guys hesitant or not really?

Thank you,

Rob
Not great. But not much of a concern for an older model.
Old 11-12-18, 08:01 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Damn!!!

Rob
Wow... $33,600... plus give or take.... add another 2-3k for tax and registration. LX sure does hold up its value.

I'm glad you ended up not owning this one. If you can fork 34K for a rusty vehicle....I'm sure you won't mind adding a few more dollars for a totally well maintained LX or LC. Just be patient!
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (11-13-18)
Old 11-14-18, 08:21 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not great. But not much of a concern for an older model.
...until you need a torch or nut-breaker to do basic maintenance.
Old 11-14-18, 12:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hankinid
...until you need a torch or nut-breaker to do basic maintenance.
It is not. I have Toyota and Lexus SUVs for a long long time. Yes they rust, never have I had an issue as you describe in the first 10-15 years.
Old 11-14-18, 12:13 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is not. I have Toyota and Lexus SUVs for a long long time. Yes they rust, never have I had an issue as you describe in the first 10-15 years.
Others may have completely different experiences, as well as opinions.
Old 11-14-18, 02:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hankinid
Others may have completely different experiences, as well as opinions.
Sure. You can have a different experience. I don't think that rust is an issue for a 10 year old model.