LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX 570 and TS Harvey

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 11:15 AM
Sleeper46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX 570 and TS Harvey

My 2016 LX parked in my garage stood in 26 inches of water for at least 24 hrs. Afterwards inspection showed no standing water inside but the floor carpet in front was wet and in second row damp. I'm wondering if the vehicle is constructed to withstand this kind of abuse or is it like most vehicles and likely to have all kinds of problems resulting from this. I have comprehensive insurance, They've informed me that my other vehicle in same situation 2014 Audi Q7 is totalled, but they are still reviewing the LX because of it's very high value.
Old 08-30-17, 11:22 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

How did you get it out of the garage? If they don't total it dry it out and change all the fluids in the drive-train oil and filter everything. Keep us posted sorry for your problems in S Texas
Old 08-30-17, 09:32 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
How did you get it out of the garage?
I would bet that he just drove out from the garage :-) Actually, it's Land Cruiser's twin and the name means something :-)
I think that fortunately (or unfortunately) LX can survive this. Just change all the fluids as Max707 already mentioned. Do not forget for all differentials and transmission fluids.

Last edited by ClaytonW; 08-30-17 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-31-17, 08:32 AM
Gordj
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a write off.
Old 09-01-17, 09:14 AM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
How did you get it out of the garage? If they don't total it dry it out and change all the fluids in the drive-train oil and filter everything. Keep us posted sorry for your problems in S Texas
That vehicle is made to maneuver in water much higher than that. If I crossed a stream 26 inches high I wouldn't get any fluids changed. Its a 2016 and thoroughly sealed. Dry your carpets, that is a luxury landcruiser its been through much worse.
Old 09-01-17, 04:36 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by tlhicks
That vehicle is made to maneuver in water much higher than that. If I crossed a stream 26 inches high I wouldn't get any fluids changed. Its a 2016 and thoroughly sealed. Dry your carpets, that is a luxury landcruiser its been through much worse.
While your carpets dry, take a close look at the wire harnesses running under the door sills. A bit of dampness can cause strange electrical behavior...sometimes you see immediate issues, other times at may take a while for gremlins to start.
Old 09-01-17, 06:06 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Declare it as salvage title and get a new truck
Old 09-01-17, 08:25 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
While your carpets dry, take a close look at the wire harnesses running under the door sills. A bit of dampness can cause strange electrical behavior...sometimes you see immediate issues, other times at may take a while for gremlins to start.
I agree. If you want to keep your LX, also some rustproofing and undercoating would be necessary. It's really a difference to through water for a short time vs standing in water for a day. I still think that after drying, changing the fluids and rustproofing it can be 100% O.K. but of course, declaring it as a salvage title would be better for you.
Old 09-02-17, 05:04 AM
zink
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in Houston also. I'm very sorry about the damage you sustained and hope you and your family are safe. I had flooding above the seats in TS Allison. Toyota Tecel - no electrics, changed all fluids, dried & shampooed caprpets - no problem. Mazda Miata - new ECU, all new fluids, new hubs - Still have that car and never had a water related problem. Audi A4 - cost to repair was very close to total, I wanted it totaled. Traded it out the day I got it back from repair.

There are so many electronics in your 16 LX an electrical/corrosion problem may not become apparent for months or years after the flood occurred. Considering the value, I imagine they will opt to repair. The day I picked up my Audi after flood repair, everything worked and you honestly would never have known what had happened. But I wasn't prepared to chance it. My recommendation, get rid of it at your first opportunity.
Old 09-02-17, 05:18 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

I just got done reading this https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/for...waters.944643/ .

I noted 2 things...

First, check that both differential breathers and the transfer case breather were all above the water line. If not, checking for water in fluids for all should be mandatory.

Second, the link notes reports from Tundra forums show some issues with alternator failures given alternator location low on the block on passengers side.

hth

Steve
Old 09-03-17, 09:44 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I had about 24" of water on the road but garage was dry. I set it on highest suspension setting, and 24" would be somewhere at the floor line. Most of your fluids are sealed, and I doubt you would have any rust issue since the water was not salt and only for 24 hours. I think the insurance will not total this vehicle. Let us know.
Old 09-05-17, 09:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I'd encourage them to total it...I would want a new one.
Old 09-06-17, 08:37 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Me too.

Look at it this way:. If you claim insurance at all for drying, draining, or whatever needed to do to the LX, then there WILL BE A RECORD!!! THIS WILL LOWER your resell value down the road.

So if you get it totaled, then you can get a NEW LX replacement (if you are lucky that they indeed total it) to start with a clean slate. I would think you can claim it under your home owners insurance instead of your auto insurance??? IDK, this should not raise your rates. But the homeowners insurance may say since you don't have flood insurance and therefore not covered. Meaning the water came from down on the ground and rised up instead of like heavy rain which breached your house roof and rained DOWNWARD on to the LX570?? IDK. If you are so attached to THAT PARTICULAR LX570, you probably can "buy it back" AT A MUCH REDUCED PRICE AFTER IT IS DECLARED TOTALLED. But you MUST BE OK WITH A SALVAGE TITLE (BRANDED TITLE). IT Will probably cost more to insure and the OEM LEXUS WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED????? To ME, it's NOT worth the headaches. But it might worth it to someone else who REALLY KNOWS THE LX570 INSIDE AND OUT!!!

Let us know what the end result is.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'd encourage them to total it...I would want a new one.
Old 09-06-17, 09:51 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Me too.

Look at it this way:. If you claim insurance at all for drying, draining, or whatever needed to do to the LX, then there WILL BE A RECORD!!! THIS WILL LOWER your resell value down the road.

So if you get it totaled, then you can get a NEW LX replacement (if you are lucky that they indeed total it) to start with a clean slate. I would think you can claim it under your home owners insurance instead of your auto insurance??? IDK, this should not raise your rates. But the homeowners insurance may say since you don't have flood insurance and therefore not covered. Meaning the water came from down on the ground and rised up instead of like heavy rain which breached your house roof and rained DOWNWARD on to the LX570?? IDK. If you are so attached to THAT PARTICULAR LX570, you probably can "buy it back" AT A MUCH REDUCED PRICE AFTER IT IS DECLARED TOTALLED. But you MUST BE OK WITH A SALVAGE TITLE (BRANDED TITLE). IT Will probably cost more to insure and the OEM LEXUS WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED????? To ME, it's NOT worth the headaches. But it might worth it to someone else who REALLY KNOWS THE LX570 INSIDE AND OUT!!!

Let us know what the end result is.
Homeowners insurance covers water in the house and the damage it causes generally it there is a defect in the houses construction...it does not cover flood damage...that's why you have flood insurance if you're in a FEMA flood zone. I'll grant you that in Texas there still is a lot of confusion as to flood zone coverage or no coverage in the state.
Old 09-06-17, 10:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

But your auto insurance should cover flood damage even if your homeowners insurance does not.

Quick Reply: LX 570 and TS Harvey