LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Brand new 2017 LX570 Sluggish Not A Lot of Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 03:54 PM
bdn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new 2017 LX570 Sluggish Not A Lot of Power

Back in December, I bought a brand new 2017 LX570 off the show room floor. I did not have a chance to test drive it before signing the paperwork because the whole buying process was long and they were rushing us because it was getting late. Well, 4,600 miles later, I brought the car back because of rough shifting, abnormal clunk in drive line when letting off the gas and accelerating again, and loud clunk when gently accelerating while on a medium incline, not steep. Another major problem I had was the lack of power. I own two Honda Odyssey, an 05 and 06 Touring, and they were both more powerful and has more consistent shifting than the Lexus 8 speed.

So, last week, they dealer let me test drive a brand new 17 LX570, and I couldn't believe it. As soon as I started the engine and revved the engine, it sounded much livelier. As I accelerated, I could feel the power against my back. This feels more like 0-60 in 7.3 sec.
The one I bought, felt heavy, and sluggish. 0-60 feels like 9 sec. This is a heavy car so I just thought it was normal. It feels as though, I am missing 80 hp.

The dealer is keeping my car to diagnose and they lend me a brand new 2017 LX570. This one also feels a lot more powerful than mine. We'll wait and see what happens.
Old 08-16-17, 09:34 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Any update? Perhaps a Lemon Law claim if they return it and say nothing is wrong?
Old 08-16-17, 09:39 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by bloomwcjkl
Any update? Perhaps a Lemon Law claim if they return it and say nothing is wrong?
It is not that easy to use the Lemon law.
Old 08-16-17, 01:04 PM
bdn
Driver School Candidate

They have had my car for a week now and I went to visit them on Monday so I can talk to the foreman of the service department. So far, he's only reset the transmission ECU and he says it drives better now. I made a list of 5 problems for them to look at because when one service adviser tells another guy, the story is always distorted. They are going to fax/email the Lexus headquarter for advice/help. I also mentioned to them about doing a dyno test but they said finding a 4 wheel dyno might be a problem. I went back and drove my wife's 2007 GS350 and that car shifts so smooth and fast, even with 145,000 miles.

I have another dilemma, while driving to the dealer with the brand new 2017 LX570, I suddenly notice a small 3 inch crack on the right side of the windshield. An hour later that 3 inch became 8 inches. I parked it overnight and the next morning, it's 20 inches long. I will talk to the sales manager today.

Last edited by bdn; 08-16-17 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 08:32 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by bdn
They have had my car for a week now and I went to visit them on Monday so I can talk to the foreman of the service department. So far, he's only reset the transmission ECU and he says it drives better now. I made a list of 5 problems for them to look at because when one service adviser tells another guy, the story is always distorted. They are going to fax/email the Lexus headquarter for advice/help. I also mentioned to them about doing a dyno test but they said finding a 4 wheel dyno might be a problem. I went back and drove my wife's 2007 GS350 and that car shifts so smooth and fast, even with 145,000 miles.

I have another dilemma, while driving to the dealer with the brand new 2017 LX570, I suddenly notice a small 3 inch crack on the right side of the windshield. An hour later that 3 inch became 8 inches. I parked it overnight and the next morning, it's 20 inches long. I will talk to the sales manager today.
Toyota, like all manufacturers, has a group of technical reps that travel to dealers and advise on stuff like you're experiencing. I'm unsure why your dealer hasn't already made contact with his regional manager to get somebody out there. Sounds like you may need to lean on him a bit.
Old 08-17-17, 12:53 PM
SkiBum84
Driver School Candidate

This is a long shot but do you use the same gas station to fill the truck? Sounds like symptoms of bad gas. My other thought was that the truck was still in delivery mode. That should have been changed when they PDI'd it, and I'm sure the techs would have corrected it already, but you never know.
Old 08-17-17, 03:28 PM
bdn
Driver School Candidate

I've used the same gas stations for all my cars and never had a problem. I normally use Shell, Chevron, and sometimes Costco gas.
Old 08-18-17, 01:14 PM
SkiBum84
Driver School Candidate

Top tier stuff - can rule that one out. Hoping it's just a tune/re-learn problem. Always found these 5.7's to be really responsive compared to the 5.3L in my Sierra
Old 08-19-17, 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bdn
Back in December, I bought a brand new 2017 LX570 off the show room floor. I did not have a chance to test drive it before signing the paperwork because the whole buying process was long and they were rushing us because it was getting late. Well, 4,600 miles later, I brought the car back because of rough shifting, abnormal clunk in drive line when letting off the gas and accelerating again, and loud clunk when gently accelerating while on a medium incline, not steep. Another major problem I had was the lack of power. I own two Honda Odyssey, an 05 and 06 Touring, and they were both more powerful and has more consistent shifting than the Lexus 8 speed.

So, last week, they dealer let me test drive a brand new 17 LX570, and I couldn't believe it. As soon as I started the engine and revved the engine, it sounded much livelier. As I accelerated, I could feel the power against my back. This feels more like 0-60 in 7.3 sec.
The one I bought, felt heavy, and sluggish. 0-60 feels like 9 sec. This is a heavy car so I just thought it was normal. It feels as though, I am missing 80 hp.

The dealer is keeping my car to diagnose and they lend me a brand new 2017 LX570. This one also feels a lot more powerful than mine. We'll wait and see what happens.
Are you putting regular or premium fuel in the vehicle?
Old 08-19-17, 11:21 AM
bdn
Driver School Candidate

Always premium.
Old 08-19-17, 12:29 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Are you putting regular or premium fuel in the vehicle?
Regular or premium won't cause the truck to be sluggish as OP described. The engine ecu will adjust timing accordingly via the knock sensors.
Old 08-19-17, 02:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hankinid
Regular or premium won't cause the truck to be sluggish as OP described. The engine ecu will adjust timing accordingly via the knock sensors.
You will not get the full torque or hp rating without premium fuel. This is a known fact for Toyota and Lexus models following SAE spec testing. All Toyota comply.
Old 08-19-17, 02:32 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You will not get the full torque or hp rating without premium fuel. This is a known fact for Toyota and Lexus models following SAE spec testing. All Toyota comply.
Your "known fact" ignores vehicles that run well without "premium" fuel. Ignoring all the small cars from Toyota that take regular, both the LX and Land Cruiser may be down a few hp with regular, but again, not exhibiting the issues in the original post. OP also stated he's always used premium gas.

Last edited by hankinid; 08-19-17 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 02:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Your "known fact" ignores vehicles that run well without "premium" fuel. Ignoring all the small cars from Toyota that take regular, both the LX and Land Cruiser may be down a few hp with regular, but again, not exhibiting the issues in the original post. OP also stated he's always used premium gas.

Thanks for playing.
Some Toyota cars run fine with regular. The LX makes 383 whereas the LC makes 381. My 4Runner does not make the advertised 235hp from the 4.7 while using regular fuel. This is fact. It needs premium to achieve the 235 HP rating in 2004.

Thanks for playing.
Kinda rude. Trying to just help.
Old 08-19-17, 02:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bdn
Always premium.
What about added weight in the vehicle?

Quick Reply: Brand new 2017 LX570 Sluggish Not A Lot of Power