Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

LX - 3rd Gen (2008-present) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride

Old 08-04-17, 01:39 PM   #1
zink
Driver School Candidate

Default Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride

I will be traveling to Telluride in a few weeks in my '17 LX 570. I have switched out the 21" wheels for 20" wheels & BFG A/T tires, otherwise I'm totally. Anyone know of any trails in the area of Telluride I can drive on without causing body damage?
zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 07:31 PM   #2
ClaytonW
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by zink View Post
I will be traveling to Telluride in a few weeks in my '17 LX 570. I have switched out the 21" wheels for 20" wheels & BFG A/T tires, otherwise I'm totally. Anyone know of any trails in the area of Telluride I can drive on without causing body damage?
I'll be there next week, but with my modified Jeep :-) I will look at the trails and let you know. But if I remember correctly, Black Bear Pass should be quite doable also in full size SUV, it's not so difficult trail, just maybe little dangerous (when wet) and you need some patience with a large SUV. And turn assist may come handy :-)
ClaytonW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClaytonW For This Useful Post:
zink (08-05-17)
Old 08-04-17, 08:46 PM   #3
Max707
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
You should be able to go anywhere your truck will fit with 275/60/20 BFG A/T KO2's. Take some pic's. So these tire's fit your rig with no rubbing?

Last edited by Max707; 08-04-17 at 08:54 PM.
Max707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 05:58 AM   #4
zink
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. Seems a shame to have such a capable off-road vehicle and not use it, I just want to avoid scratches and dents as much as possible while it's still essentially new. The 275/60R20 BFG AT tires have not caused any problems with rubbing in the 3,000 miles they have been installed. I think the ride is better as well. As they are load range D I have found 42 psi all around is a good compromise for load capacity, ride and MPG. No regrets making the switch
Old 08-05-17, 08:05 AM   #5
Max707
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Seems a shame to have such a capable off-road vehicle and not use it, I just want to avoid scratches and dents as much as possible while it's still essentially new. The 275/60R20 BFG AT tires have not caused any problems with rubbing in the 3,000 miles they have been installed. I think the ride is better as well. As they are load range D I have found 42 psi all around is a good compromise for load capacity, ride and MPG. No regrets making the switch
would love to see a pic. With those badass tire's on your new LX.
Max707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 08:26 AM   #6
zink
Driver School Candidate

Old 08-06-17, 07:20 AM   #7
Chocolate
Lexus Test Driver

You can get rid of the little aero flaps under the front bumper (takes only a few minutes) and trim the rear mudflaps flush with the bumper. They're too low.

Last edited by Chocolate; 08-06-17 at 08:41 AM.
Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate For This Useful Post:
zink (08-06-17)
Old 08-12-17, 11:29 AM   #8
ClaytonW
Pole Position

I just returned from Colorado. I am sure that most of the trails near Telluride can be done with a stock LX570. I recommend purchasing FunTreks - Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book and GPS SD card map for Garmin which uses data from this book and would make trail navigation easier.
If you have stock 21" wheels, I would do just the easy trails (based on difficulty rating at the book above). Otherwise you would easily scratch the wheels and also risk tire defect. Be careful at Last Dollar Road when it's wet, it can be really slippery - but still doable :-)
With better wheels (17" or 18") you should not have problems at medium difficulty trails like for example Imogene Pass or trails at Alpine Loop. Although you can probably do all the medium difficulty trails, you will probably scratch something as it's quite difficult to stay focused all the time and do not make any mistake. Just don't try Poughkepsie Gulch, it simply cannot be done with a stock LX.
I am not quite sure what cane be done with 20" wheels. But if you do not want to scratch them, I would stay on easy (green) trails. Maybe it's a better idea to rent a modified Jeep in Ouray and do not risk any damage to your LX.
Regarding Black Bear Pass: Unfortunately, no jeep rentals allow rental Jeeps on Black Bear Pass (and also on Poughkepsie). Some parts of Black Bear Pass were repaired and the trail now is not difficult for an experienced driver. We did it while the trail was wet and it was still raining and for a modified Jeep it was a piece of cake. But I would not risk it with my LX because some damage at the Steps (the part of the trail before the first switchback) is quite possible.
All trails around Telluride are beautiful, have fun!

Last edited by ClaytonW; 08-12-17 at 11:51 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClaytonW For This Useful Post:
bluewaterb (08-14-17), zink (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 07:22 AM   #9
zink
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I really appreciate your comments and the stunning pictures. I just received the Funtreks guide in the mail. I initially wanted to drive Imogene Pass but less sure after reading your comments and the guide, seems like potential for damage. The guide recommends skid plates, so I'm thinking a good chance to damage the running boards. I think I'm going to try Engineer Pass & Cinnamon Pass, which combined is called the Alpine Loop. Do you know if that would be safe enough?
Daniel
Old 08-13-17, 01:35 PM   #10
ClaytonW
Pole Position

Alpine Loop should be O.K. including Engineer Pass. Just don't try to get there through Mineral Creek (although we did it and it was quite easy but you would probably scratch something).
I am not quite sure about Imogene Pass. I am 100% sure that it can be done without scratching the wheels and any damage to your running boards. It was not so difficult. We had a stock Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in our group and the clearence was not an issue (it is very similar to the stock LX). But definitely, there is a risk. It is a long trail and it's difficult to do it without an error. As I mentioned above, I would rent a Jeep for this trail :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to ClaytonW For This Useful Post:
zink (08-14-17)
Old 08-14-17, 07:24 AM   #11
zink
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your help. I will take a few pics and post them when I return. Don't worry, if I do scratch or dent anything, I'll only have myself to blame! We're going to start off easy and then try a couple of moderate trails. It seems there is quite a time commitment to running some of these trails.