LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 01:39 PM
zink
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride

I will be traveling to Telluride in a few weeks in my '17 LX 570. I have switched out the 21" wheels for 20" wheels & BFG A/T tires, otherwise I'm totally. Anyone know of any trails in the area of Telluride I can drive on without causing body damage?
Old 08-04-17, 07:31 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by zink
I will be traveling to Telluride in a few weeks in my '17 LX 570. I have switched out the 21" wheels for 20" wheels & BFG A/T tires, otherwise I'm totally. Anyone know of any trails in the area of Telluride I can drive on without causing body damage?
I'll be there next week, but with my modified Jeep :-) I will look at the trails and let you know. But if I remember correctly, Black Bear Pass should be quite doable also in full size SUV, it's not so difficult trail, just maybe little dangerous (when wet) and you need some patience with a large SUV. And turn assist may come handy :-)
The following users liked this post:
zink (08-05-17)
Old 08-04-17, 08:46 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

You should be able to go anywhere your truck will fit with 275/60/20 BFG A/T KO2's. Take some pic's. So these tire's fit your rig with no rubbing?

Last edited by Max707; 08-04-17 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-05-17, 05:58 AM
zink
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. Seems a shame to have such a capable off-road vehicle and not use it, I just want to avoid scratches and dents as much as possible while it's still essentially new. The 275/60R20 BFG AT tires have not caused any problems with rubbing in the 3,000 miles they have been installed. I think the ride is better as well. As they are load range D I have found 42 psi all around is a good compromise for load capacity, ride and MPG. No regrets making the switch
Old 08-05-17, 08:05 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the feedback. Seems a shame to have such a capable off-road vehicle and not use it, I just want to avoid scratches and dents as much as possible while it's still essentially new. The 275/60R20 BFG AT tires have not caused any problems with rubbing in the 3,000 miles they have been installed. I think the ride is better as well. As they are load range D I have found 42 psi all around is a good compromise for load capacity, ride and MPG. No regrets making the switch
would love to see a pic. With those badass tire's on your new LX.
Old 08-05-17, 08:26 AM
zink
Rookie

Max - see this thread...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...-33-tires.html
Old 08-06-17, 07:20 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You can get rid of the little aero flaps under the front bumper (takes only a few minutes) and trim the rear mudflaps flush with the bumper. They're too low.

Last edited by Chocolate; 08-06-17 at 08:41 AM.
zink (08-06-17)
Old 08-12-17, 11:29 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

I just returned from Colorado. I am sure that most of the trails near Telluride can be done with a stock LX570. I recommend purchasing FunTreks - Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book and GPS SD card map for Garmin which uses data from this book and would make trail navigation easier.
If you have stock 21" wheels, I would do just the easy trails (based on difficulty rating at the book above). Otherwise you would easily scratch the wheels and also risk tire defect. Be careful at Last Dollar Road when it's wet, it can be really slippery - but still doable :-)
With better wheels (17" or 18") you should not have problems at medium difficulty trails like for example Imogene Pass or trails at Alpine Loop. Although you can probably do all the medium difficulty trails, you will probably scratch something as it's quite difficult to stay focused all the time and do not make any mistake. Just don't try Poughkepsie Gulch, it simply cannot be done with a stock LX.
I am not quite sure what cane be done with 20" wheels. But if you do not want to scratch them, I would stay on easy (green) trails. Maybe it's a better idea to rent a modified Jeep in Ouray and do not risk any damage to your LX.
Regarding Black Bear Pass: Unfortunately, no jeep rentals allow rental Jeeps on Black Bear Pass (and also on Poughkepsie). Some parts of Black Bear Pass were repaired and the trail now is not difficult for an experienced driver. We did it while the trail was wet and it was still raining and for a modified Jeep it was a piece of cake. But I would not risk it with my LX because some damage at the Steps (the part of the trail before the first switchback) is quite possible.
All trails around Telluride are beautiful, have fun!

Last edited by ClaytonW; 08-12-17 at 11:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ClaytonW:
bluewaterb (08-14-17), zink (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 07:22 AM
zink
Rookie

Thanks, I really appreciate your comments and the stunning pictures. I just received the Funtreks guide in the mail. I initially wanted to drive Imogene Pass but less sure after reading your comments and the guide, seems like potential for damage. The guide recommends skid plates, so I'm thinking a good chance to damage the running boards. I think I'm going to try Engineer Pass & Cinnamon Pass, which combined is called the Alpine Loop. Do you know if that would be safe enough?
Daniel
Old 08-13-17, 01:35 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Alpine Loop should be O.K. including Engineer Pass. Just don't try to get there through Mineral Creek (although we did it and it was quite easy but you would probably scratch something).
I am not quite sure about Imogene Pass. I am 100% sure that it can be done without scratching the wheels and any damage to your running boards. It was not so difficult. We had a stock Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in our group and the clearence was not an issue (it is very similar to the stock LX). But definitely, there is a risk. It is a long trail and it's difficult to do it without an error. As I mentioned above, I would rent a Jeep for this trail :-)
zink (08-14-17)
Old 08-14-17, 07:24 AM
zink
Rookie

Thanks for all your help. I will take a few pics and post them when I return. Don't worry, if I do scratch or dent anything, I'll only have myself to blame! We're going to start off easy and then try a couple of moderate trails. It seems there is quite a time commitment to running some of these trails.
Old 08-21-17, 07:25 PM
zink
Rookie

I took the LX up to Alta Lakes to view the eclipse. A very easy trail but impressed with compression braking in both high and low range. Will definitely air down the tires when we hit more moderate trails.
Attached Thumbnails Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride-img_0155.jpg  
Old 08-21-17, 08:59 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I took the LX up to Alta Lakes to view the eclipse. A very easy trail but impressed with compression braking in both high and low range. Will definitely air down the tires when we hit more moderate trails.
Great pic. Is the LX in normal mode or high mod? Looks high? Post a pic if you have one with it sitting in normal. Thanks
Old 08-25-17, 03:59 AM
zink
Rookie

I have to admit I am seriously impressed with the LX! I aired down the tires to 25 psi, used low range and even had the opportunity to use crawl control going down a muddy slope, turn assist around a few tight switchbacks and the center diff lock when we went over some pretty nasty talas. No damage to the car, the sidewalls of the 60 series tires were just enough. I can see why 17" or 18" wheels would be beneficial.

The locals told us Ophir Pass was far rockier than normal and when we attempted it we found everyone turning around as it was far rockier than normal. The only vehicles to make were lifted Jeeps - and us! There were some surprised looks when we got to the top of the pass!
Attached Thumbnails Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride-img_0229.jpg  
Old 08-25-17, 08:57 PM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you are having a great time. I got to say I really like your wheel and tire setup. The BFGs really suits the 20" rims. I wish we had some good offroading near us in northern Virginia but planning to visit the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone this Fall, unfortunately without the LX.

Quick Reply: Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride