LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-17, 11:44 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Great job! I am happy that you were able to make Ophir Pass! I've been there with my Jeep a few weeks ago and I would be quite surprised to meet LX up there :-) O.K., next year I have to take my LX to Colorado! I'll keep my Jeep at home. At least I am sure that getting there will be much more comfortable :-)
The following users liked this post:
zink (08-26-17)
Old 08-26-17, 06:12 AM
zink
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have absolute respect for my LX! We live just west of Houston and decided at 8 am on Friday to drive back home because we were worried about what may happen to our horses due to Harvey, even though we had someone coming by to feed and stall them. Well, 22 hours later we made it, driving straight through from Telluride. The drive between Austin and Houston was scary, tornadoes around us, deep water to ford and rain like I've never seen. The LX wasn't phased and the journey probably only took an hour longer than if we'd had good weather.

The navigation, however, is useless compared to google maps, had we followed the Lexus navigation it would have taken us 2 to 3 hours longer and at least 100 miles extra. It screwed us in both directions and I tried adjusting all the preferences. It only wants to take freeways and ignores highways?
Old 08-26-17, 09:28 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by zink
I have absolute respect for my LX! We live just west of Houston and decided at 8 am on Friday to drive back home because we were worried about what may happen to our horses due to Harvey, even though we had someone coming by to feed and stall them. Well, 22 hours later we made it, driving straight through from Telluride. The drive between Austin and Houston was scary, tornadoes around us, deep water to ford and rain like I've never seen. The LX wasn't phased and the journey probably only took an hour longer than if we'd had good weather.

The navigation, however, is useless compared to google maps, had we followed the Lexus navigation it would have taken us 2 to 3 hours longer and at least 100 miles extra. It screwed us in both directions and I tried adjusting all the preferences. It only wants to take freeways and ignores highways?
BFG should pay you for your endorsement, just to confirm, 275/60/20 BFG AT/KO2's, no problem fitting, just mount and go? Did you say what size spare and did it fit with no change? Stay safe in Houston! Thanks for the pic's and tire reports.
Old 08-26-17, 12:59 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by zink

Yes, you are right. A week ago, I drove a similar distance in a day to see the solar eclipse (to Oregon and back to Nevada). There is no other SUV which could do it so easily.
I hope that everything will be O.K. although Harvey looks terrible. I have friends at this area and I receive their reports how bad it is there. I hope that LX will also get you out if absolutely necessary.

Navigation was always a problem for Toyota. Controls locked while driving, expensive updates, updated maps were old even at the moment when released... Toyota needs Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support.
Old 08-26-17, 06:20 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
Toyota needs Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support.
Yesterday.

In the meantime, I use one of these (cost: 1.50) and nav is better than the factory unit. Google Maps can use a large database from everyone who drives with the app open to determine the best routes, the factory nav often just tries to draw a straight line.
Old 09-02-17, 05:47 AM
zink
Rookie

We were one of the lucky ones - Harvey didn't get us. We had 5' of water in our back pasture but there was still at least 10' in elevation before the water could get to our house. We had to venture out twice during the floods to get our Border Collie to an emergency vet as it turned out he ultimately went into adrenal failure during the storm. Fortunately, our collie survived and is doing great. If you live in Texas we used drivetexas.org to identify passable roads, without this website we would not have made it. The devastation to the Houston and surrounding areas is immense.

My LX is a keeper, it was so confidence inspiring whether we drove over a mountain, through a hurricane or through the high waters to get to the animal hospital. I managed to wash it yesterday and found two tiny chips on the wheels from rocks rubbing alongside the wheels and a few knicks on the front from 2,500 miles of highway driving. I'll happily take those as battle scars after what we've been through! For Max - no evidence of rubbing or damage from the 33" tires. Now the vehicle seems bored driving on flat roads, they really seem to like to be pushed!

We also successfully used a VIAIR 400 compressor. I bought the RV version as i will leave it in our dually and allows quick adjustment of tire pressure if we have to hook up a heavier than normal trailer - which we did yesterday to pull out a gooseneck horse trailer that had got stuck in flood water turning around. This air compressor is great and the tires aired down to 25 psi on our LX gripped well over rock and provided a very comfortable ride. The only downside is having to pull the plastic cover off the LX to get access to the battery.

In conclusion, I think I'd say our LX is now Apocalypse proven! Go out and push your LX when you get an opportunity, they love the exercise! Thanks again for all the assistance on trail recommendations, I really enjoyed the off-roading experience.

Daniel
Old 09-02-17, 08:32 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Glad to see you guys are OK stay safe
Old 09-11-17, 01:35 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Is this picture at normal ride hight?
Attached Thumbnails Trails for mostly stock LX 570 near Telluride-image.png  
Old 09-12-17, 05:01 AM
zink
Rookie

I don't think so. As soon as things calm down here I will snap a pic at normal height for you.