LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Supercharger for 2017 model?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-17, 03:03 PM
opelrsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger for 2017 model?

Did anyone put a supercharger on 2017 model? I know Magnuson has a kit available for the 5.7L V8. I am wondering how much extra works required to put one in the LX 570. I really want a supercharger!
Old 06-10-17, 08:33 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by opelrsx
Did anyone put a supercharger on 2017 model? I know Magnuson has a kit available for the 5.7L V8. I am wondering how much extra works required to put one in the LX 570. I really want a supercharger!
Man! it is cost a lot. My guess would be $15K. You will also need to change exhaust manifold, exhaust pipes and tuning it. Would I like to know how many more HP from this supercharger?
Old 06-10-17, 09:53 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

there is a trd supercharge for this and the tundra. However despite the engine staying the same, lexus
stopped supporting it after 2015. All years prior to 2016 can have the SC. My guess its because of the
tranny and updated electronics.
Old 06-11-17, 07:02 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

There is no extra work to install the Magnuson or TRD superchargers on the Lexus. It's less than a days work, dealer prices for a
tundra are around 900-1300.00 The issue is the software to make it work on the Lexus. I do not know if Magnuson supports the Lexus.
I'll be researching a solution soon because wifey wants one for her '13 & there's now way I'll let that pass.

Last edited by Supra Dr; 06-11-17 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-11-17, 10:16 PM
opelrsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Magnuson's website:
" 3UR-FE - Lexus LX570 5.7L V8 (requires custom work for installation kit, and custom calibration) "
I will contact them, see how much custom work/calibration involved. Hopefully they can make it work on 2017 model! But the word "custom" can be very scary, money wise, lol...
Old 06-11-17, 10:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
Man! it is cost a lot. My guess would be $15K. You will also need to change exhaust manifold, exhaust pipes and tuning it. Would I like to know how many more HP from this supercharger?
Toyota stated ~ 550 hp for the oem supercharger on ME market 200 series trucks... http://www.caradvice.com.au/283294/l...tion-revealed/

There's also a long thread about one owners experience in having an sc installed... https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trd...harger.885811/
Old 06-12-17, 08:37 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by opelrsx
From Magnuson's website:
" 3UR-FE - Lexus LX570 5.7L V8 (requires custom work for installation kit, and custom calibration) "
I will contact them, see how much custom work/calibration involved. Hopefully they can make it work on 2017 model! But the word "custom" can be very scary, money wise, lol...
Ask for a group buy....may be 10 units if anyone here would sign up, they might reduce the price.
Old 06-13-17, 03:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I thought the ECU is locked by the HQ on all Lexus vehicles, yes?

RR Racing (?) got a SC supposedly​out for the RCF. But from what I gather as soon as the RCF hits 6K rpm, the fuel will cut off. RR Racing (?) is currently actively trying to resolve this issue by some work around, I guess. This led me to believe that NO ONE SO FAR HAD SUCCESSFULLY 100% HACKED THE ECU YET!!! THE RCF red lines safely at around 72+K rpm with the OEM Titanium valves and all the goodies. To have fuel cut off at 6K rpm is just like why even get an RCF. Might as well get an IS250 or just drive around in a CT200h!! The sound the RCF makes when it reaches 65K+ rpm and all the way to 72K+ rpm is just AMAZING sound to the ears and all the senses.

Also not sure if the LX transmission can take all that FI? The RCF's transmission (from what I gather) is able to take FI to a certain threshold. Anyone knows about this?

Originally Posted by DocT
Ask for a group buy....may be 10 units if anyone here would sign up, they might reduce the price.
Old 06-13-17, 04:35 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

I thought this was the series 200 LX and sometimes Land Cruiser section...so I'm unsure as to why the post about the RCF and it's "AMAZING" sound. Those who've successfully added a supercharger to the 5.7 seem happy and Toyota even warranties the installation in the Tundra. No major engine differences between Tundra and 200's, other than the LX and LC are produced entirely in Japan with 100% Japanese content. Magnuson is currently selling the TRD kit without the TRD name.
Old 06-13-17, 07:17 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
No major engine differences between Tundra and 200's, other than the LX and LC are produced entirely in Japan with 100% Japanese content. Magnuson is currently selling the TRD kit without the TRD name.
I am not a mechanic and I am not sure if Tundra and LX/LC have the same ECU units. However, I believe they have to re-program ECU by hacking into the ECU to tune it and to get maximum benefits out of the SC without wrecking the engine.
Old 06-13-17, 10:14 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you want to put a SC on a LX,it will have to be 2015 or earlier is my understanding.
The 8 speed tranny I don't think can handle the upgraded power and obviously the electronics are differerent on 2016-2017-2018 LX versions.
Im sure somebody could do it though. Lots of smart people out there.
Old 06-15-17, 04:51 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

A Tundra is a Tundra is a Tundra. Please don't confuse a Tundra with the LX. If Lexus wanted to make a "Lexus pickup", it would have been done long ago. Who knows, maybe one day? Is the engine in the Tundra V8 EXACTLY the same as the LX 570? What about other components? The ECU (is the ECU locked in the LX570? Locked in Tundra?)? I'm not an engineer. Would someone please chime in?

Can someone give me an example of a successful FI on the 3rd gen LX570? WITH A SUCCESSFUL 100% HACKED OEM ECU? NOT SOME "NOT SO EQUIVALENT" WORK AROUND? What about some real engine oil analysis after some 5k miles, 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, 50k, 75k, and 100k ? Any excessive wear and tear? Don't give me that Blackstone Labs crap. Give me REAL engine oil analysis.

MY EXAMPLE of the "AMAZING SOUND" OF THE RCF is EXACTLY THAT. I happen to have an RCF also. Sure, there are better "sounding" rides out there (The Jaugar F-Type V8, for example). I'm merely pointing out the fact that to hack 100% of the Lexus OEM ECU to do FI is NOT that simple. The company (RR Racing?) is close. But their FI RCF has a problem with fuel cut off at 6k rpm (RCF redlines at 72+k rpm safely). It's like you are only allowed to go 55 mph on your LX570 AND THEN the FUEL CUTS OFF. OR any grade more than 4% uphill, the LX570 cuts off its fuel and just starts to apply brakes??? Who wants that??!! Not to mention there are many other necessary mods required in addition to simply slap on some FI to make sure the rest of the vehicle will do OK safely without excessive wear and tear. I certainly don't want to just do FI on any vehicle just to run the race track a few laps or do a few quarter mile runs and win (but will need a new engine and transmission afterwards).

I still subscribe to the old adage:. "There is NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT". Ever seen or heard​ a screaming highly modded Subaru WRX STI? Nothing against a Subaru WRX STI. Trying to squeeze all that HP out of that little engine is just putting too much stress on it's components. I have not ever seen a highly modded Subi or anything with all original modded components at say pass 200k miles because things break when you start to do heavy mods like that. Another example is the joint venture between Toyota and Subaru with the BRZ and (now defunct Scion FRS). MANY people bought these with the intention of putting a FI UNIT. Unless one has an unlimited budget and able to replace everything right from the start to do it right (including the engine and transmission and etc.), people have failed miserably bc of the constant break down of components. Were not talking about just getting an aftermarket exhaust or wheels/tires or aero kits and such.

One of the Lexus mission and objective is to produce quality RELIABLE vehicles. In order to do it, I don't think Lexus engineers take FI lightly until the RELIABILITY objective is fully tested. Just look at how long it took for Lexus to roll out officially​ the "200t" new turbo engine in the NX200t a few years ago (still got issues, I'm sure). This is then trickled down to the up coming bigger displacement FI engines in the LS and etc. I'm sure LX, LC, RCF, and others in the lineup​ will follow.

MOST people who buy the LX or any Lexus for that matter wanted a RELIABLE NO HASSEL VEHICLE. Otherwise people will just go buy the Rover (its reliability is way better now though).

I thought this was the series 200 LX and sometimes Land Cruiser section...so I'm unsure as to why the post about the RCF and it's "AMAZING" sound. Those who've successfully added a supercharger to the 5.7 seem happy and Toyota even warranties the installation in the Tundra. No major engine differences between Tundra and 200's, other than the LX and LC are produced entirely in Japan with 100% Japanese content. Magnuson is currently selling the TRD kit without the TRD name.
Old 06-15-17, 10:39 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
A Tundra is a Tundra is a Tundra. Please don't confuse a Tundra with the LX. If Lexus wanted to make a "Lexus pickup", it would have been done long ago. Who knows, maybe one day? Is the engine in the Tundra V8 EXACTLY the same as the LX 570? What about other components? The ECU (is the ECU locked in the LX570? Locked in Tundra?)? I'm not an engineer. Would someone please chime in?

One of the Lexus mission and objective is to produce quality RELIABLE vehicles. In order to do it, I don't think Lexus engineers take FI lightly until the RELIABILITY objective is fully tested. Just look at how long it took for Lexus to roll out officially​ the "200t" new turbo engine in the NX200t a few years ago (still got issues, I'm sure). This is then trickled down to the up coming bigger displacement FI engines in the LS and etc. I'm sure LX, LC, RCF, and others in the lineup​ will follow.
Read opelrsx's post.

Magnuson does note that the LX application requires tuning. I doubt the LX will follow the NX and LX with turbochargers...still no substitute for cubic inches for a 3-ton truck.
Old 06-15-17, 01:01 PM
OmG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read opelrsx's post.

Magnuson does note that the LX application requires tuning. I doubt the LX will follow the NX and LX with turbochargers...still no substitute for cubic inches for a 3-ton truck.
Raptor

...filler for length

Last edited by OmG; 06-15-17 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 02:33 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Exactly what I had said😀😀😀👍👍👍

No replacement for displacement.

Lots of other mods needed to make FI work (100% FULLY) ON THE STOCK OEM ENGINE/TRANS/AND OTHER COMPONENTS ON THE LX570 which includes "tunning" which is so tricky.

Read opelrsx's post.

Last edited by lexusrus; 06-15-17 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Supercharger for 2017 model?