2013 lx570 ahc

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 09:23 AM
tsamad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 lx570 ahc

Hi All,

I am a new member and really want an advise from your ownership experience with LX models.

I have always wanted LX but could not afford in the past. I still can't afford the new ones. However, I am looking at a 2013 LX570 with 20,000 Miles and will be financing it over 7 years!

My only concern is if the high-tec suspension system (AHC) in these vehicle will last me the next seven years considering that this vehicle age is already 4 years old.

The last thing I want, is that I need to make payments on this vehicles while I can't even drive it.

And lets say if the suspension height levelling system (AHC) break down, would I be able to still drive this thing?

I really appreciate your honest suggestions and input.

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks!!!!
Old 05-08-17, 10:05 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

The AHC not working would not stop you from driving the vehicle.

If the AHC breaks, it could be an expensive fix.

Asking a 2013 LX570 with 20k miles to go another 7 years would be risky if you could not afford some repairs while you owned.

I would never even consider doing this except you have a nearly new LX with only 20,000 miles. With proper maint it could make it.
Old 05-08-17, 06:18 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

AHC fluid, imo, needs to be changed every 60K per the book. I do mine every 2 years, which is more like 25-30K, but fluid is cheap and flushing the system does not require prior experience working on the space shuttle. With 4 years on the fluid, I'd have it changed after you buy the truck. I'd also change all the other fluids, unless you've got a receipt showing it's been done, or the service shows up on online Lexus or Toyota service websites. You can also print a complete service history at a dealer via the VIN.
Old 03-01-20, 01:23 PM
BigMF
Driver School Candidate

@hankind Do you change your AHC fluid yourself or do you have someone do that? I'd like to do it myself but haven't found a reliable guide on how to do that. I have the Techstream repair manual on my computer but that is not the greatest guide on how to actually get in and do it.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-20, 02:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by tsamad
Hi All,

I am a new member and really want an advise from your ownership experience with LX models.

I have always wanted LX but could not afford in the past. I still can't afford the new ones. However, I am looking at a 2013 LX570 with 20,000 Miles and will be financing it over 7 years!

My only concern is if the high-tec suspension system (AHC) in these vehicle will last me the next seven years considering that this vehicle age is already 4 years old.

The last thing I want, is that I need to make payments on this vehicles while I can't even drive it.

And lets say if the suspension height levelling system (AHC) break down, would I be able to still drive this thing?

I really appreciate your honest suggestions and input.

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks!!!!
I service both the LX and the Land Cruiser using the "Towing" time and mileage, as fluid is cheap but AHC repairs are definitely not. So if you buy the truck I'd change the AHC fluid immediately...not the mileage but the time. I go by 2 years or 60K, whichever comes first. As was posted, if the AHC fails gravity will eventually bring the truck to the low position...you can drive it slowly but be very careful with bumps...RR tracks or speed bumps.

I do not understand the paranoia here as to AHC breakdowns...as I've posted before, the only AHC posts are failed AHC systems (not even enough to worry about) and freak out posts about "it's gonna' fail". It might be nice if everybody posted "it's still working", and with 200K on a 19 year old LX, ZERO AHC issues here. I see the same thing on ih8mud.com as to reliability.

My money says you'll pay more in interest on a 7 year finance thing, than it would cost you to replace the AHC system.

Last edited by hankinid; 03-01-20 at 09:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hankinid:
BigMF (03-01-20), caesosa (03-01-20)
Old 03-01-20, 02:55 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigMF
@hankind Do you change your AHC fluid yourself or do you have someone do that? I'd like to do it myself but haven't found a reliable guide on how to do that. I have the Techstream repair manual on my computer but that is not the greatest guide on how to actually get in and do it.

Thanks!
Check the FAQ section in the 200 series tech forum on ih8mud.com .

hth
The following users liked this post:
BigMF (03-01-20)
Old 03-01-20, 09:36 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

This is not a new system. The likelihood of it breaking is about the same as your brakes failing as essentially it is a very similar system in terms of mechanism.

suspension systems are given a bad reputation due to anything with a Land Rover badge but rest assured it’s a very different system. The 100 series is now getting to 22 years old and while you hear of some issues (hint: you hear about the same of catastrophic brake failure on the 100) they really aren’t common. Is it one more component that breaks on a car? yeah, but it’s a good reliable system so I wouldn’t write off a good car.

Last edited by caesosa; 03-01-20 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 10:07 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caesosa
This is not a new system. The likelihood of it braking is about the same as your brakes failing as essentially it is a very similar system in terms of mechanism.

suspension systems are given a bad reputation due to anything with a Land Rover badge but rest assured it’s a very different system. The 100 series is now getting to 22 years old and while you hear of some issues (hint: you hear about the same of catastrophic brake failure on the 100) they really aren’t common. Is it one more component that breaks on a car, yeah, but it’s a good reliable system so I wouldn’t write off a good car.
No disagreement...if wife's dd needed AHC service other than flushing the fluid and checking normal height on all 4 corners, I'd repair it v. buying another truck...especially a Land Rover or MBZ...both are best kept until just before the warranty dies. I flushed British cars (Jags and a Sprite with RX7 rotary engine) out of my system prior to finding my wife.
The following users liked this post:
caesosa (03-01-20)
Old 03-02-20, 05:10 AM
scuba86
Driver School Candidate

Even though this is an old post I can attest to the reliability of the AHC and have never heard of a single issue through many many Land Cruiser owners, and if you were thinking of buying a 570 this should be a minor concern and not a point to deliberate purchase on,
I have a 21 year old Land Cruiser 100 and 2013 LX570 and have never had a days trouble with either, the AHC one the land cruiser still works exactly as it did in 1999... The LX's is faster to raise and lower and you can also feel the car lower the rear end when reaching 60 and above,
The system is robust, more so than any German or British/Indian rival who mostly use air..
Old 03-03-20, 12:10 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I had over 100k in my last lx, no issues with the act- I have 94k on my 2015 no issues; so yea seems like its pretty good, Meanwhile ls460 and other lexus have issues with their suspension which is probably different then what LX uses
Originally Posted by scuba86
Even though this is an old post I can attest to the reliability of the AHC and have never heard of a single issue through many many Land Cruiser owners, and if you were thinking of buying a 570 this should be a minor concern and not a point to deliberate purchase on,
I have a 21 year old Land Cruiser 100 and 2013 LX570 and have never had a days trouble with either, the AHC one the land cruiser still works exactly as it did in 1999... The LX's is faster to raise and lower and you can also feel the car lower the rear end when reaching 60 and above,
The system is robust, more so than any German or British/Indian rival who mostly use air..