LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Been Nice Knowing Y'All

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 05:43 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Been Nice Knowing Y'All

After owning Lexus for a number of years and wondering what's next, I got the message: I'm moving on to Mercedes G550. Love what it stands for and the fact that its one of the few still true to its roots.

Y'all take care of yerselves.

From the Hills of West Virginia.
Old 05-05-17, 09:38 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Congratulations to your new G class! Take it on some serious offroading and enjoy the front and rear lockers! I know, no one does it but there must be an exception :-)
And, if possible, post some photos and let us know how it drives.
...and, see you back soon :-)
Old 05-07-17, 05:06 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Dekuji, ClaytonW

G550 is a strange animal. It drives like a garbage truck, doesn't corner well because its top heavy and it feels like a tank. I'm going for base 550, G63 is a beast and an excercise in excess for an extra $40k with half a sec better 0-60 an some cool cosmetics (not worth the dough) Legendary reliability and I love the message it sends. Worried about the redesign coming in 2018 with the changes to make it more palatable for the masses and soften the edges, so it seems that 2017 is the one to go with

Looks best IMO in black/black. As soon as I find one and pull the trigger, will post pics.

Regards,
The following users liked this post:
ClaytonW (05-07-17)
Old 05-08-17, 01:02 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Nice upgrade!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-08-17, 01:51 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

"Legendary reliability"

i do do not think so. Mine must have been a lemon.
Old 05-08-17, 06:50 AM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a great car. I have had the pleasure of driving the G63 and it is really special. The only downside that most people don't realize before purchasing it is that you really can't daily drive it. People I know got tired from the bad ride quickly and sold it. It's really that bad and even a sports car is more comfortable. For some reason you feel everything​ on the road and the whole car shakes. Still, I would really buy it but I'm waiting to see what changes are made next year.
Old 05-08-17, 04:07 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

LOL.
u upgraded, more like a downgrade.

there are not too many vehicles above this imho except maybe range rover, but be prepared for lower reliability.
i know and have been saying the LX is far behind others in drive handling tech and power, but would still own
one over the others.
Old 05-08-17, 06:13 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
LOL.
u upgraded, more like a downgrade.

there are not too many vehicles above this imho except maybe range rover, but be prepared for lower reliability.
i know and have been saying the LX is far behind others in drive handling tech and power, but would still own
one over the others.
Just watch some of the very many utube compare's with an LX or Cruiser v. a G-Wagen v. and something from Rover.

Simply no contest. Lower reliability is a very polite understatement. MBZ no longer hand-makes vehicles like they did 40 or 50 years ago.
Old 05-08-17, 07:11 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Having considered all of you's opinions I feel more than prepared to clench my teeth, buckle my belt and suffer terribly for the next 1-2 years of poor reliability, sloppy ride and whatever other catastrophic woes that may befall a sorry G-Wagen owner.

Good news there's always a way back into the fold.

Thanks for all the input,
Old 05-10-17, 09:58 PM
aashour6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol All these people think the LX is the best thing in the world. The G550 is excellent as well! Enjoy it
Old 05-11-17, 06:34 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by aashour6
lol All these people think the LX is the best thing in the world. The G550 is excellent as well! Enjoy it
So you're writing about your own experience, or is it something you saw on the web?
Old 05-11-17, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The G is a neat vehicle, but I could not imagine driving one every day vs an LX. A GLS? Well sure.

Those who say "the LX is great, but the G is nice as well" I think don't realize the vehicle we're talking about. The G is the "G Wagen"

Been Nice Knowing Y'All-photo962.jpg
Been Nice Knowing Y'All-photo421.jpg

Not the GL, or GLS

Been Nice Knowing Y'All-photo890.jpg

It's a neat vehicle, but uncivilized, harsh, uncomfortable. As a fun third vehicle sure but to drive one of those every day over an LX? Can't imagine that. It's like a luxury Jeep Wrangler or a Hummer H1.
Old 05-12-17, 02:11 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I drove a G for two weeks and while it was capable, it is not what I would want as a daily driver.
Old 09-20-17, 07:05 PM
yakim
Pole Position

So, after test driving a G550, trying to convince me'self that the coolness factor overrides the garbage truck handling and wasting the sales people's time, I realized that a G550 was a poor man's choice , and zoned in on a G63 hoping that it would solve my personal insecurity problems and boost my image amongst the people in the hills of WV. While the 63 looked way cooler, It was even more stiff with the same bloody steering feel that makes you wonder if you ever gonna make that corner, or not.

Both for financial reasons and G-Wagen not cutting the mustard, I nixed the idea. I will revisit it, the Almighty willing to whom be all the glory, when the new redesigned G hits the shores a couple of years from now. Is it gonna be more civilized and Bergdorf Goodman/Saks Fifth Ave friendly? Time will tell

In the interim, I just bought a 2018 LX 570 which is still on the boat from Japan, and now I get to drive a 2017 RX loaner for the next 25 days or so until the new ride arrives. Off the cuff, that darn RX feels good! No wonder they sell those by the boatloads

For all of you's snarky type dirtbags, lurking out there... you know where to go and what to do

Last edited by yakim; 09-20-17 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 10:47 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

So... welcome back! We did not expect that this may happen :-D
And, of course, congratulations to your new LX!

Quick Reply: Been Nice Knowing Y'All