LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Been Nice Knowing Y'All

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 02:21 PM
Airbusdriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from Lexus to Mercedes and back to Lexus. Let me tell you the Mercedes is a hunk of junk. I had a 2011 GL450 that got me through the first 50,000 miles no problem. 50,000-100,000 what a mess. Here you have a $78,000 vehicle that can't go 100,000 miles without breaking apart every month. I spent over $10,000 last year just in repairs. That doesn't include regular maintenance such as brakes and tires, this is for mechanical failures. I had it serviced regularly and it was a money pit. Shocks, radiator, intake manifold, compressors, even the interior buttons were cheap and broke with regular use.

The shocker came when when I traded in for a new LX570. Dealer offered me $13,000. You can't make this stuff up. $13,000 for a car that only has 100,000 miles on it and was in mint condition.

My 2008 Lexus GX460 still runs and drives like a champ. 145,000 miles on it and it's the perfect reliable vehicle for my 16 year old daughter.

Mercedes ----stay away!
The following users liked this post:
bluewaterb (09-22-17)
Old 09-21-17, 03:12 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

My previous 2000 LX470 had 280+K miles when I traded in for another brand new 2013 LX570. THE LX470 gave me no major problems except for the radio attenna got stuck and the power steering hoses broke soon after I took it to the Lexus dealership for routine service. I think they broke it, but they would not admit to it. Since then I use an indy shop near me which is cheaper anyway. One more thing.......the key ignition (prior to keyless start was even an option back on 2000) broke and just turns and turns. Not sure if it was time for that part to break around 200K miles at the time or the night prior we had parked at a not so nice neighborhood and someone tried to steal the SUV? IDK, but in the morning the key ignition just freely turns and turns and will not start. The updated techs on the new LX570 WAS JUST TOO IRRISSTIBLE TO IGNORE.

Originally Posted by Airbusdriv
I went from Lexus to Mercedes and back to Lexus. Let me tell you the Mercedes is a hunk of junk. I had a 2011 GL450 that got me through the first 50,000 miles no problem. 50,000-100,000 what a mess. Here you have a $78,000 vehicle that can't go 100,000 miles without breaking apart every month. I spent over $10,000 last year just in repairs. That doesn't include regular maintenance such as brakes and tires, this is for mechanical failures. I had it serviced regularly and it was a money pit. Shocks, radiator, intake manifold, compressors, even the interior buttons were cheap and broke with regular use.

The shocker came when when I traded in for a new LX570. Dealer offered me $13,000. You can't make this stuff up. $13,000 for a car that only has 100,000 miles on it and was in mint condition.

My 2008 Lexus GX460 still runs and drives like a champ. 145,000 miles on it and it's the perfect reliable vehicle for my 16 year old daughter.

Mercedes ----stay away!
Old 09-21-17, 06:41 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

LOL you may regret buying the LX when the new one comes out, unless you have the $ to burn

That being said, you shouldve kept put and waited. There is a whole bunch of new SUVs coming out from volvo, infiniti and some other new manufacturers.
The best SUV is probably the JEEP TRACKHAWK if you want power handling and some offroad ability, but i cant fathom putting down 100 grand for ajeep and not having the quality of leuxus.
Old 09-21-17, 07:46 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No regrets about the 2018 LX at all... all things taken into consideration, such as reliability, resale value, lo-tech (a big plus in my book), low volume sales, a big V8, exemplary service department experience and the golden spot price-wise...nothing comes close. I looked briefly @ Mercedes GLS 550(horror of horrors re: reliability issues), Cayenne GTS(too much of a VW and an ugly rear). Wouldn't touch a Caddy. Infinity SUV's (QX- whatever ) are a paragon of ugliness. BMW X5M (a cliche soccer mom taxi) . Volvo's 4-cylinder turbo=super-charged funeral hearses...LOL... Jeep? ROTFL ...Always had a soft spot for a Range Rover, but one bad ownership experience is enough. Romantic attachment to what a G550/G63 might be in a couple of years from now is not enough to doodle around and wait. LX is still the king of those who know.

Last edited by yakim; 09-21-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 08:56 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is nice to hear from other people's comments about other SUV's. Well, Yakim ! This marriage is unbreakable. I guess you are married to Lexus until you cannot drive any more or maybe eternally, LOL
Old 09-22-17, 02:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by yakim
So, after test driving a G550, trying to convince me'self that the coolness factor overrides the garbage truck handling and wasting the sales people's time, I realized that a G550 was a poor man's choice , and zoned in on a G63 hoping that it would solve my personal insecurity problems and boost my image amongst the people in the hills of WV. While the 63 looked way cooler, It was even more stiff with the same bloody steering feel that makes you wonder if you ever gonna make that corner, or not.

Both for financial reasons and G-Wagen not cutting the mustard, I nixed the idea. I will revisit it, the Almighty willing to whom be all the glory, when the new redesigned G hits the shores a couple of years from now. Is it gonna be more civilized and Bergdorf Goodman/Saks Fifth Ave friendly? Time will tell

In the interim, I just bought a 2018 LX 570 which is still on the boat from Japan, and now I get to drive a 2017 RX loaner for the next 25 days or so until the new ride arrives. Off the cuff, that darn RX feels good! No wonder they sell those by the boatloads

For all of you's snarky type dirtbags, lurking out there... you know where to go and what to do
Congrats on your new LX.

I love my RX, too! Feeling like a sports car after getting out of the LX.
Old 09-22-17, 06:54 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=T4Fun;9988178]LOL you may regret buying the LX when the new one comes out,

The question is, when is that going to happen, 2019? 2020? Nobody knows, or do they?
Old 09-22-17, 06:56 AM
mikeivan
Driver

No regrets about the 2018 LX at all... . LX is still the king of those who know.
Yakim, you would be the guy who knows. Is there any change from 2017 LX to 2018 LX? I can't find any on the Lexus build page. Thanks.
Old 09-22-17, 08:01 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

So, after test driving a G550, trying to convince me'self that the coolness factor overrides the garbage truck handling and wasting the sales people's time, I realized that a G550 was a poor man's choice , and zoned in on a G63 hoping that it would solve my personal insecurity problems and boost my image amongst the people in the hills of WV. While the 63 looked way cooler, It was even more stiff with the same bloody steering feel that makes you wonder if you ever gonna make that corner, or not.

Both for financial reasons and G-Wagen not cutting the mustard, I nixed the idea. I will revisit it, the Almighty willing to whom be all the glory, when the new redesigned G hits the shores a couple of years from now. Is it gonna be more civilized and Bergdorf Goodman/Saks Fifth Ave friendly? Time will tell

In the interim, I just bought a 2018 LX 570 which is still on the boat from Japan, and now I get to drive a 2017 RX loaner for the next 25 days or so until the new ride arrives. Off the cuff, that darn RX feels good! No wonder they sell those by the boatloads

For all of you's snarky type dirtbags, lurking out there... you know where to go and what to do
congratulations on the new ride we know you'll love it 😜👍
Old 09-22-17, 08:50 AM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No regrets about the 2018 LX at all... all things taken into consideration, such as reliability, resale value, lo-tech (a big plus in my book), low volume sales, a big V8, exemplary service department experience and the golden spot price-wise...nothing comes close. I looked briefly @ Mercedes GLS 550(horror of horrors re: reliability issues), Cayenne GTS(too much of a VW and an ugly rear). Wouldn't touch a Caddy. Infinity SUV's (QX- whatever ) are a paragon of ugliness. BMW X5M (a cliche soccer mom taxi) . Volvo's 4-cylinder turbo=super-charged funeral hearses...LOL... Jeep? ROTFL ...Always had a soft spot for a Range Rover, but one bad ownership experience is enough. Romantic attachment to what a G550/G63 might be in a couple of years from now is not enough to doodle around and wait. LX is still the king of those who know.
Yakim, it's good to see you back on the forum and soon to be behind the wheel of a LX again. Seeing as how you considered / evaluated so many other top of the line SUV's, I'm surprised to learn you didn't give the Bentley Bentayga Mulliner a shot.
Old 09-22-17, 10:38 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No apparent changes as far as I can tell in comparison to "16.

Re: Bentley, I live in the middle of nowhere and can't deal with frequent service issues due to geography and high stress level, as it is. Also, definitely out of my price range
Old 09-22-17, 11:20 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Someday I would like to get a used Armoured truck and convert to a SUV/small mobile home. Big Cummings diesel, etc.etc.
Old 09-22-17, 02:33 PM
mikeivan
Driver

Default Earth Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max707
Someday I would like to get a used Armoured truck and convert to a SUV/small mobile home.
Here you go: http://earthcruiser.com/
Attached Thumbnails Been Nice Knowing Y'All-earth-cruiser-5x7.jpg  
Old 09-22-17, 07:57 PM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are spot on. I still do flirt with the possibility of G63 in yellow but this is in addition to the LX not instead of it. The LX is really that good.
Here is yellow in case you hadn't seen one before:
Old 09-22-17, 10:33 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Yakim, you thought the grass was really greener on the other side; it turned out to be Astroturf. Perhaps in a different season, there will be greener grass. For now, the LX is the most valued based in the luxury line of SUV off road category. If you told me that statement 15 years ago, I would tell you that you are nuts. Time changes perspectives. Congrats and welcome back.

Quick Reply: Been Nice Knowing Y'All