LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2013 LX570 Engine Air Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 02:46 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts
Default 2013 LX570 Engine Air Filter Change

I took some pictures when I took out and changed the engine air filter recently.

Note the air filter part number. This is the OEM part as this is the first time I changed the air filter. My LX570 only has some 20K miles thus far.

The system will not let me to go back and note each picture (maybe I'm missing a step somewhere?). Also I was not able to "reorder" the pictures to follow chronologically from beginning to finish. Maybe someone can tell me how?

There are seven black plastic "tabs" to release and take out before you can take that big black plastic cover on the left of the LX570 (as you face the front bumper, the big black plastic cover is to your left).

After you get all seven black plastic "tabs" out, Just lift that big plastic cover out. You will then see the black plastic air filter box. It has a total of 4 silver metal clamps (Two are on the side facing the front bumper. One facing the windshield. Last one facing the side of the engine where you can not readily see unless you are on top looking down......but you will be able to feel it there). Release the 4 silver metal clamps and you are able to gently lift the black plastic air filter box out to see and access the air filter.

Take out the air filter and pop in a new one. (Note the part number on the air filter)

Reverse the above steps and you are done. Just make sure you put back the black air filter box correctly to make sure there are no leaks.

Last edited by lexusrus; 05-05-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-04-17, 03:47 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I took some pictures when I took out and changed the engine air filter recently. Please note I did not have the time yet to note and explain each picture. I'll do later when I get a chance.
Why pictures? I think the process simply involves unlatching 4 clips that hold the air cleaner lid in place, lifting the lid, removing and replacing the filter, placing the cover back in position, and then relatching the cover.

It literally took me longer to type the process than actually doing it.
Old 05-05-17, 08:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Smile

For you and I and others experienced in these things, it is not difficult. Perhaps even able to do it in complete darkness!!! LOL

But for someone out there who is not familiar with these type of things, I have the following to illustrate the concept dating back to as far as 1913 even further:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

File:1913 Piqua Ohio Advertisement - One Look Is Worth a Thousand Words.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally Posted by hankinid
Why pictures? I think the process simply involves unlatching 4 clips that hold the air cleaner lid in place, lifting the lid, removing and replacing the filter, placing the cover back in position, and then relatching the cover.

It literally took me longer to type the process than actually doing it.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (05-05-17)
Old 02-17-19, 08:32 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For you and I and others experienced in these things, it is not difficult. Perhaps even able to do it in complete darkness!!! LOL

But for someone out there who is not familiar with these type of things, I have the following to illustrate the concept dating back to as far as 1913 even further:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

File:1913 Piqua Ohio Advertisement - One Look Is Worth a Thousand Words.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks. Now I know which plastics to remove to get to the filter.
Old 03-05-19, 09:29 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

LOL, no worries. All good.

After all, these are NOT mission critical emergency anyway. It's not like putting together a tool in complete darkness.

Originally Posted by sheikhmax

Thanks. Now I know which plastics to remove to get to the filter.
Old 03-06-19, 07:12 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to document the procedure and posting the pictures. I'd bet 90 percent or more of Lexus owners have never laid their eyes on what lurks beneath the plastic engine covers.

Heck, a significant number have likely never even opened their own hoods!
Old 03-06-19, 04:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Question How about the air cleaner...

...inside the lid of the filter box. Do you change that with the filter in the box itself?
Old 03-08-19, 10:31 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
...inside the lid of the filter box. Do you change that with the filter in the box itself?
This does not get changed. It is a carbon filter that traps volatiles that enter the airbox, it is part of the emissions system. There is no change interval for it and I believe it is permanently attached to the top half of the airbox.
Old 03-08-19, 10:32 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I took some pictures when I took out and changed the engine air filter recently.

Note the air filter part number. This is the OEM part as this is the first time I changed the air filter. My LX570 only has some 20K miles thus far.
Standard service interval for the air cleaner is 30k miles. Are you in a geography where you frequently drive on dirt roads?
Old 03-09-19, 01:06 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

It looked dirty and I ordered and received the OEM air filter already.

I figured it's a cheap insurance to make sure all ate well so I just swapped out the old air filter. I know it is over kill........

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Standard service interval for the air cleaner is 30k miles. Are you in a geography where you frequently drive on dirt roads?