LX570 As the only Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 07:10 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LX570 As the only Vehicle

All,

I am considering having an LX570 as my only vehicle and need input from fellow owners.
I have a short commute to the train station (approx 2 miles), will it be an issue for the LX as in engine and alternator, will it reduce the life of the vehicle.

I currently use my ct200h for the short trips and my X5 for longer commutes/trips, since the X5 is old was wondering if i should just go with one vehicle as I am the only driver in the family.

I am looking at 2015/2014 CPO LX570

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Old 03-20-17, 07:48 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by jbny
All,

I am considering having an LX570 as my only vehicle and need input from fellow owners.
I have a short commute to the train station (approx 2 miles), will it be an issue for the LX as in engine and alternator, will it reduce the life of the vehicle.

I currently use my ct200h for the short trips and my X5 for longer commutes/trips, since the X5 is old was wondering if i should just go with one vehicle as I am the only driver in the family.

Thanks
My only concerns is that the oil temperature would never get high enough to evaporate moisture in the motor.

This is not a big problem as long as you took it for a longer ride on the weekend or once a week.

All else should be fine and I hope you enjoy!
Old 03-20-17, 12:38 PM
jbny
Driver

thanks ggebhardt , will i have to worry about the battery? in the X5 that has allways been a concern.

Also how is LX when it gets really cold in the mornings any starting issues or rough idle issues?
Old 03-20-17, 01:38 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

thanks ggebhardt , will i have to worry about the battery? in the X5 that has allways been a concern.

Also how is LX when it gets really cold in the mornings any starting issues or rough idle issues?
Unless your battery is weak, starting is just pushing a button. You should have no problems there. Your two mile commute, twice a day and a small drive on the weekend and your battery should be fine. My LX lives in Florida but started without a complaint in 27 below zero F while visiting family in Wisconsin.

If the battery is over three years old you might want to put in a new one but your LX will serve you well. You will be hard pressed to find a more dependable vehicle. I have owned Mercedes, Porsche, Range Rover and even 6 months with a Lamborghini and there is nothing that I have found that rides better and is more dependable as the LX and I have owned every year's edition.
Old 03-20-17, 07:05 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

2 miles? Get a scooter. :-) Trade in the X5 for the LX in that case. 2 miles is too short for an LX to travel.
Old 03-20-17, 10:38 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I believe that ideally every man should own 5 vehicles. (1) convertible sports car (2) pickup truck (3) SUV/highway cruiser (4) electric car (5) project car.

Sports car for fun, pickup for hauling large or messy items or trailer towing, SUV for hauling at least 6 people on road trips and for trailer towing, electric because I've lived through several gasoline shortages with gas lines or even no gas at all for days, and a project car for peaceful evenings in the garage. If you are not a hack mechanic car guy, omit #4. BTW, I have 50,000 lumens of light and three televisions in my heated garage.

As a sole vehicle the LX could sub for a pickup maybe 80 percent of the time. Most of the lore about short trips and accelerated wear date back to the carburetor days when cars started rich and had a longer warm-up time than FI cars today. Although it is no sports car, and it guzzles gasoline, an LX as an only vehicle should work out fine. A huge Lexus advantage is the availability of dealer loaner vehicles to you. If it is ever laid up you will have something to drive and not have the worry about transportation from and back to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
TeCKis300 (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 12:27 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would use the CT200h for short trips and the LX570 for longer trips.

I have both CT200h and the LX570 (both 2013). I just don't feel good about it driving the LX570 only for two miles and not even fully warmed up yet and then shut it down.

All,

Thanks
Old 03-21-17, 04:42 AM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
I believe that ideally every man should own 5 vehicles. (1) convertible sports car (2) pickup truck (3) SUV/highway cruiser (4) electric car (5) project car.

Sports car for fun, pickup for hauling large or messy items or trailer towing, SUV for hauling at least 6 people on road trips and for trailer towing, electric because I've lived through several gasoline shortages with gas lines or even no gas at all for days, and a project car for peaceful evenings in the garage. If you are not a hack mechanic car guy, omit #4. BTW, I have 50,000 lumens of light and three televisions in my heated garage.

As a sole vehicle the LX could sub for a pickup maybe 80 percent of the time. Most of the lore about short trips and accelerated wear date back to the carburetor days when cars started rich and had a longer warm-up time than FI cars today. Although it is no sports car, and it guzzles gasoline, an LX as an only vehicle should work out fine. A huge Lexus advantage is the availability of dealer loaner vehicles to you. If it is ever laid up you will have something to drive and not have the worry about transportation from and back to the dealer.
I agree with your theory.
My list of 5 cars would be:
Lx570
Land Rover defender 110 double cab pickup
Ferrari F12
Tesla model 3
Porsche 911 (an all season 2+2 sports car instead of a project car)

​​​​​​
Old 03-21-17, 07:47 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I believe in buying what you want and not looking back. The OP's LX will be just fine if he so chooses to buy it.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 03-21-17 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 07:51 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. One car is just slumming it. You deserve more than that.

All kidding aside, I can't see a better one car solution than the LX. Breadth of utility can't be beat. It's like an LS and Land Cruiser in one. Unless you're looking to save gas which is probably irrelevant with a commute of 2 miles.

That said, obviously you're affluent enough. Is the 1 car because of parking limitations? Perhaps pair it with a used/beater Leaf that can be had for less than $8k still in warranty? Nothing beats a "golf cart" for a short commute like that.
Old 03-21-17, 09:48 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where do you often park your car.... at home or at train station? At home, I would use Battery Tender either at Costco or Walmart to charge the battery. Works wonder and I use to charge the battery of NSX, which I barely drive.

Last edited by DocT; 03-21-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 12:26 PM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep your CT200H It's amazing for around town and you cant beat the gas mileage. Get yourself an LX for sure. You will never regret it. Then drive it and enjoy it. Two miles each way in an LX is like eating one of your favorite potato chips. It's just not enough. Why even bother. Its your favorite so enjoy it to the fullest!
Old 03-21-17, 01:22 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
Where do you often park your car.... at home or at train station? At home, I would use Battery Tender either at Costco or Walmart to charge the battery. Works wonder and I use to charge the battery of NSX, which I barely drive.
In winter, I have 2 large tractors (50 & 60 hp, both diesel) connected to a Battery Tender Jr. whenever they're parked. No issues starting with temps in the single digits or teens. Shumacher (sp?) has an equivalent that's specifically designed to be mounted on the vehicle...those will be installed next fall and run with the engine block heaters. $30-40-ish.

Steve
Old 03-21-17, 08:09 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, the Porsche 911 is on my list too.

Originally Posted by andreasP
I agree with your theory.
My list of 5 cars would be:
Lx570
Land Rover defender 110 double cab pickup
Ferrari F12
Tesla model 3
Porsche 911 (an all season 2+2 sports car instead of a project car)

​​​​​​
Old 03-23-17, 01:28 PM
jbny
Driver

thanks all for your help

I am definitely not affluent or else i would be keeping the CT and buying a new LX ( its all relative) however since i am the only driver and for many years I have had two cars just sitting around and i end up paying taxes on them (CT) and insurance, I thought i might just bring it down to one car and hence started looking at GX/LX , since we are a family of 3 I guess even an RX would do.

I love the way my x5 4.8is drives but it is getting old and even though it has never left me stranded i would hate to be stuck on the highway with my family when on a road trip.

I have never driven the LX570 but did like the way LX470 drove and would want a vehicle which i dont have to worry about leaving me stranded somewhere.

I like the GX and it drives fine however i do not want to keep thinking about the LX while driving the GX, i might as well dream about the LX while drving my X5 and CT :-)

Last edited by jbny; 03-23-17 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: LX570 As the only Vehicle