LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

What Engine Oil and Oil Filter?

Old 05-01-17, 05:24 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Not if the dealer OVERFILLED YOUR LEXUS!!!

Originally Posted by hankinid
"Cheap insurance" for what?
Old 07-30-17, 02:57 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I have found it convenient to have the Lexus dealer do my oil and filter changes everytime don't have to worry about any problems. I check the fill to ensure it's not over filled. They use 0W 20 Toyota Oil or Mobil 1 both made by mobil and iare synthetic. They use the Toyota filter which is a high-quality filter. Great experience.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (09-24-17)
Old 07-30-17, 04:57 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
I have found it convenient to have the Lexus dealer do my oil and filter changes everytime don't have to worry about any problems. I check the fill to ensure it's not over filled. They use 0W 20 Toyota Oil or Mobil 1 both made by mobil and iare synthetic. They use the Toyota filter which is a high-quality filter. Great experience.
I'd only be a bit concerned that most dealers appoint the freakin' new guy to the lube / oil change bay.

OT, I use 5W-30 in both the LX and Cruiser. Mobil 1-209 filter for the LX, the TRD filter in the 5.7. The reason your Lexus dealer uses a Toyota filter should be obvious...same with any other brand dealer.

I just found Toyota World ATF on amazon at ~ $6 a quart. Label notes the stuff is made by Mobil / Exxon and exported to Japan. Not sure if the same is true for 'Yota engine oil.
Old 07-30-17, 06:39 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hankinid
I'd only be a bit concerned that most dealers appoint the freakin' new guy to the lube / oil change bay.

OT, I use 5W-30 in both the LX and Cruiser. Mobil 1-209 filter for the LX, the TRD filter in the 5.7. The reason your Lexus dealer uses a Toyota filter should be obvious...same with any other brand dealer.

I just found Toyota World ATF on amazon at ~ $6 a quart. Label notes the stuff is made by Mobil / Exxon and exported to Japan. Not sure if the same is true for 'Yota engine oil.
i like a full time lube guy they know what they are doing, (normally). But let's say they screw it up. Lexus IS on the hook to fix it. Back in 1996 the Lexus dealer in Atlanta did a 90k tune up on my wife's 1992 ES300. The tech that did the tuneup also did the oil/filter change. Well he drained the oil and installed the filter. He was working on two cars at the same time the yard guy came up and asked him if he was done with my car? Slammed the hood and took it to the car wash. I paid came out and it was sitting there running I got in drove off looking into the sun. Turned onto peach tree road and noticed my oil light was on. Had to drive around the block to get back to the dealer. Pulled back into the service bay and shut it down, called for the service manager and popped the hood. There we're still tools sitting on my engine and "NO" oil in the engine. Since it was Lexus they took care of everything including the service I had paid for. Unless you do everything yourself you can never be sure. At least with Lexus you have recourse. I always check all the fluids before I drive away. Guess I proved your point. But my point is if you don't do it yourself have it done at Lexus where they can fix their mistake. They gave me back my money plus went back over the wife's ES300 and gave me a written lifetime warranty on the engine.
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (07-31-17)
Old 09-24-17, 12:41 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Default Mobil One Oil/Filter Rebate UP TO $17 (2 per household)

I did the $12 rebate per a jug of 5 quarts of Mobile One Extended Performance. 12 bucks is 12 bucks since I'm buying the oil anyway. To get the $17 rebate you will have to buy a Mobil One Extended Performance Oil Filter at the same time. I already got lots of OEM Lexus/Toyo filters.

Here it is:

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...ll-rebate-2017

I just did this rebate online after I picked up two jugs (each 5 quarts) of of Mobil One Extended Performance 0W-20. Each jug is $28.68 plus tax where I live in SoCal area. There is the NEW ANNUAL PROTECTION Mobil One Oil for 20K miles (but I don't think I'll go that long between oil changes). The Mobil One Extended Performance I picked up is for up to 15K miles (again, I don't think I'll go that long between oil changes). There is a cheaper one with the silver cap Mobil One for like $22.xx. BTW, all these are labeled "FULL SYNTHETIC" which is a misnomer in the United States due to some court ruling that said "Group 3 oils" can be marketed as "synthetic". That same oil marked "synthetic" can NOT be marketed as synthetic in European and Asian countries. Sorry, this is for another discussion. But which ones of the Mobil One "synthetic" line up are truly Group IV/V 100% synthetic? I just use the Mobile One Extended Performance to get a balance of a good quality oil and price while changing the oil at around 7.5K mile mark.

When I was submitting my rebate online..............I noticed that I can only load ONE IMAGE OF RECEIPT per submission. Therefore I just submitted each separately. It says two rebates per household. Right after you submit online, you will get an email confirmation.

Originally Posted by DocT
Most of the people, who posted, favor Mobil 1. I just went to Walmart for Engine oil and looked at Mobil 1 synthetic and saw $45 for a jug of 5 qtr Mobile 1. But there are also cheaper one too, from $25-45 a jug of Mobile 1. I scratched the head. Wow, it is more than Royal Purple which is $38. Just wonder $45 jug of Mobile 1 is any better than $25 jug of Mobile1.
Old 09-24-17, 09:11 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I did the $12 rebate per a jug of 5 quarts of Mobile One Extended Performance. 12 bucks is 12 bucks since I'm buying the oil anyway. To get the $17 rebate you will have to buy a Mobil One Extended Performance Oil Filter at the same time. I already got lots of OEM Lexus/Toyo filters.

Here it is:

I just did this rebate online after I picked up two jugs (each 5 quarts) of of Mobil One Extended Performance 0W-20. Each jug is $28.68 plus tax where I live in SoCal area. There is the NEW ANNUAL PROTECTION Mobil One Oil for 20K miles (but I don't think I'll go that long between oil changes). The Mobil One Extended Performance I picked up is for up to 15K miles (again, I don't think I'll go that long between oil changes). There is a cheaper one with the silver cap Mobil One for like $22.xx. BTW, all these are labeled "FULL SYNTHETIC" which is a misnomer in the United States due to some court ruling that said "Group 3 oils" can be marketed as "synthetic". That same oil marked "synthetic" can NOT be marketed as synthetic in European and Asian countries. Sorry, this is for another discussion. But which ones of the Mobil One "synthetic" line up are truly Group IV/V 100% synthetic? I just use the Mobile One Extended Performance to get a balance of a good quality oil and price while changing the oil at around 7.5K mile mark.

When I was submitting my rebate online..............I noticed that I can only load ONE IMAGE OF RECEIPT per submission. Therefore I just submitted each separately. It says two rebates per household. Right after you submit online, you will get an email confirmation.
Thank you. I just got 2 jugs and oil filters and submitted the rebates.

Last edited by DocT; 09-24-17 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 04:07 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

You are welcome.

Originally Posted by DocT
Thank you. I just got 2 jugs and oil filters and submitted the rebates.
Old 09-25-17, 03:17 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The engine on my LX ticks with Mobil 1. I switched to redline and the engine tick is gone. I'll switch the isf to redline to see if it gets rid of the ticking as well.
Old 09-25-17, 04:19 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I don't hear any ticks on any of my Lexi.

So it's better to go tickless??? LOL 😁😁😁😁

​​​​​

Originally Posted by jat0223
The engine on my LX ticks with Mobil 1. I switched to redline and the engine tick is gone. I'll switch the isf to redline to see if it gets rid of the ticking as well.
Old 09-25-17, 07:24 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jat0223
I bet it's the krytoniem they put in the redline
Old 10-01-17, 04:27 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use 0-20 Mobile one and original Toyota filter. I am also one of those who gets paranoid when the dealer touches the truck. Every time it goes in for service, there would be new scratches or dings or damages that were caused by the technicians/mechanics. This is why I service my own vehicle unless it is a warranty work.
Old 10-01-17, 08:34 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Same here.

​​​​

Originally Posted by lex97h
I use 0-20 Mobile one and original Toyota filter. I am also one of those who gets paranoid when the dealer touches the truck. Every time it goes in for service, there would be new scratches or dings or damages that were caused by the technicians/mechanics. This is why I service my own vehicle unless it is a warranty work.
Old 10-02-17, 01:45 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Every time I take my vehicle to the Lexus dealership I walk around with The guy so we can notate that there are no problems marks scratches or anything and when They bring it back I do a walk around if there ever would be a problem then they will fix it I also check the oil level and I look underneath make sure that nothing is leaking the next day again I get out of the car and make sure nothing is leaking and check the oil level if there’s any leaks I would have them come to pick it up
Old 12-21-17, 06:37 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lex97h
... I service my own vehicle unless it is a warranty work.
Same here, since 1957.

Last edited by I6turbo; 12-21-17 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-21-17, 07:08 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Same here, since 1957.
Same here but about 15 years later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Engine Oil and Oil Filter?