LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Questions From a New 2017 LX 570 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 10:44 PM
AKh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions From a New 2017 LX 570 Owner

So I picked up my new LX 570 this morning. Black onyx/cabernet. Will post pics soon. But after putting 30 miles on it on Day 1, a few pesky things which I'm hoping you guys can help me with:

1) The HUD is awesome. However, it is off by a few inches to the right. I have to move my head sideways to see the full thing. The controls allow me to move the display up and down. But what I really need is a way to move it sideways so that the image is right in the middle of my field of vision, side to side. Anyone else had this problem, and how can this be fixed?

2) This is retarded: I was waiting outside in my new car this evening while my wife and kids picked up Chipotle for dinner. I am used to turning off the engine and still being able to play music (typically while waiting for someone). But doesn't look like it's possible in the Lexus. What am I doing wrong? Doesn't make sense to force you to turn engine on and idle just to play the radio...???

3) The drive mode selector dial next to the crawl control dial has a mode called Normal. But no matter how I turn the ****, I can never see the words "Normal" in the dashboard display unit. By turning the dial I'm able to toggle through and see the words "Eco", "Comfort", "Sports" and "Sports+" on the display, but never "Normal". Why is Normal mode, although prominently called out in the middle of the dial **** (together with "Custom"), impossible to actually activate???

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 03-18-17, 07:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

1) The HUD is slightly off center. Nothing you can do except get used to it. One of my eyes see the whole screen.

2) After shutting of the engine everything turns off. Got a few minutes to still roll up windows but radio will not turn on unless motor is running or in the ACC position.

3) When in "normal" mode it does not show on the display. Does not mean it is not activated, Lexus just choose, for some reason, not to display it. I prefer the Comfort setting for general driving and use Sport or Sport+ when needed.
Old 03-18-17, 07:24 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Shutting the car off in neutral allows you to shut the engine off while keeping the radio on. You can then shift into park.
The following 3 users liked this post by yardie876:
ClaytonW (03-18-17), ggebhardt (03-18-17), GoHuskers (03-23-17)
Old 03-18-17, 07:34 AM
AKh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
Shutting the car off in neutral allows you to shut the engine off while keeping the radio on. You can then shift into park.
Thanks for the hack. I will try today.
​​​​​​
Old 03-18-17, 07:38 AM
AKh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ggebhardt

3) When in "normal" mode it does not show on the display. Does not mean it is not activated, Lexus just choose, for some reason, not to display it. I prefer the Comfort setting for general driving and use Sport or Sport+ when needed.
Aaah, I see. So no display is the Normal default setting. Cool, thx.
Old 03-18-17, 09:41 AM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To play the radio with the engine off, turn off the vehicle by pressing the "START STOP ENGINE" button. Then... just press the "START STOP ENGINE" button one time with your foot OFF of the brake.
This will let you use the entertainment system without the engine running. To get out of this mode and leave the vehicle I think you tap the button twice. To start the vehicle put your foot on the brake and tap the button once. This works for me on a 2016

HUD like others have said sort of projects toward the center of the vehicle. There is no left/right adjustment. For me it is in an awkward place.

The modes are "ECO", Comfort, Sport and Sport+ the Normal Custom designation on the **** is superfluous.
Old 03-19-17, 05:54 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats on the new SUV. Cabernet is a beautiful color. Unfortunately, you will find that your steering wheel wood does not match your other wood. Per Lexus, this is "intentional." It's the first time I've ever seen a high end vehicle to have mismatched wood.Only Lexus.
Old 03-19-17, 10:23 PM
AKh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Congrats on the new SUV. Cabernet is a beautiful color. Unfortunately, you will find that your steering wheel wood does not match your other wood. Per Lexus, this is "intentional." It's the first time I've ever seen a high end vehicle to have mismatched wood.Only Lexus.
I noticed the steering wheel wood mismatch today. Weird. But it didn't bother me all that much. Overall fit and finish is great. I wish the display was touchscreen, though. The silly mouse makes the cursor go all over the place...

Here is a pic of when I picked it up two days back...
The following users liked this post:
jtimhall (06-08-17)
Old 03-20-17, 01:21 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

+1 on touchscreen. Hate the remote mouse thing.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 03-22-17 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 04:51 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
I agree, it is odd that the wood is not a match. However, Mercedes does the same thing with the current G-Class. For instance, the carbon fiber package does not include the wheel, and instead the wheel has piano black wood. Personally, I find this to be unacceptable. On the other hand, the LX's wheel does not bother me.
Old 03-21-17, 04:54 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny enough, I brought up the crooked/tilted heads up display concern to my dealer last week. As everyone has said, it is normal. However, my service department thought that it was weird enough to file a complaint/case with Lexus about it. Perhaps they will address it for future vehicles.
Old 03-21-17, 10:14 PM
Wheeldog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PRESS the drive mode once for normal and again for custom mode. Both will display on dash.
Old 03-23-17, 09:58 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I know im not in the correct area of the forum, as I drive an older model LS, however I wanted to report that I tried this method this morning and it worked like a charm. I was on the phone via BT and did this and was on the phone for an additional 20 minutes without issue. Very cool piece of advice, and thanks!
Old 03-23-17, 11:57 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wheeldog
PRESS the drive mode once for normal and again for custom mode. Both will display on dash.
Custom will show up but I NOT Normal.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 03-25-17 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-24-17, 06:46 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
Funny enough, I brought up the crooked/tilted heads up display concern to my dealer last week. As everyone has said, it is normal. However, my service department thought that it was weird enough to file a complaint/case with Lexus about it. Perhaps they will address it for future vehicles.
Try not to hold your breathe too long. Lexus dealers continue to surprise me about how much they do not know about the cars they service. People on this forum know more than 4 Lexus service managers at 2 Lexus dealers I have visited. Lexus Corporate relies on the local service managers to address any technical issues. Corporate listens to your complaints, passes them to management, and you hope they do something about it. It's a crazy setup in my opinion, but it works for them.

Quick Reply: Questions From a New 2017 LX 570 Owner