LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Extended warranty advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 08:14 PM
bdn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty advice

I just purchased a brand new, beautiful, starfire pearl 2017 Lexus LX570 about a week ago. I need some advice regarding the purchase of an extended warranty? What do you guys think? I've owned about 30 cars so far and many of them have ran passed 200K with no problems. But modern cars nowadays, have many options, gadgets, electronics, etc. I'm pretty handy with cars and can repair most problems. The problem are the cost of the parts. I've owned a 2000 Lx470 before, and at 125,000 miles, the shock accumulators went bad and the ride became very stiff. I was able to buy four new accumulators and changed it out myself. It ran like new afterwards. The extended warranty that I'm interested in is for peace of mind. It is the 10 years, 100,000 miles for $3585.00. The powertrain warranty from Lexus covers 72 months or 70,000 miles. Is the extended warranty worth it? Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Last edited by bdn; 01-05-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 09:17 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bdn
I just purchased a brand new, beautiful, starfire pearl 2017 Lexus LX570 about a week ago. I need some advice regarding the purchase of an extended warranty? What do you guys think? I've owned about 30 cars so far and many of them have ran passed 200K with no problems. But modern cars nowadays, have many options, gadgets, electronics, etc. I'm pretty handy with cars and can repair most problems. The problem are the cost of the parts. I've owned a 2000 Lx470 before, and at 125,000 miles, the shock accumulators went bad and the ride became very stiff. I was able to buy four new accumulators and changed it out myself. It ran like new afterwards. The extended warranty that I'm interested in is for peace of mind. It is the 10 years, 100,000 miles for $3585.00. The powertrain warranty from Lexus covers 72 months or 70,000 miles. Is the extended warranty worth it? Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

I would never buy extended warranty, especially Honda or Toyota. Maybe for the German cars. It is only for a dummy
The following users liked this post:
bdn (01-05-17)
Old 01-06-17, 01:56 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

If you want to keep it quite long, I would buy an extended warranty (but Lexus Platinum only, not from anyone else). Although this is a very reliable SUV, there are many good reasons - hydraulic suspension, all the electronics... Try to search for the best available price at various dealers, it can be very different. you can search this forum for Lexus Platinum Warranty, you can get good recommendations.
Old 01-06-17, 02:10 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Agree with Clayton, prices can vary.
Old 01-06-17, 02:20 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

On our old 2000 LX470 (bought new back in 2000) which had 280K+ miles when we traded it back in 2013 had no major problems. We DID NOT have extended warranty on the old LX470. So we came out ahead as far as the cost of extended warranty is concerned.

But keep in mind back in the "good old days" our old 2000 LX470 did not have as much electronics as the current LX570 (NAV, Bluetooth, auto folding side mirrors, telematics, HID lights, and etc.).

Fast forward to NOW................ the LX570 is loaded with a whole bunch of electronics!!!

Also the answer depends on how long (how many miles) you are contemplating on keeping your new LX570???

Another thing to think about is all the diagnostics on the LX570 and many other vehicles currently. If you don't have the right diagnostic software (and the know how to use it), then it becomes a guessing game for you trying to find out what is going on. IF you follow the routine maintenance schedule, the likelihood of "power train" failure prematurely is slim (my opinion). What will go wrong is "all that electronics".

I am not advocating for buying the extended warranty or not to buy it. Only YOU (the owner) can determine the answer. One thing is for sure, we are talking about a "Lexus" which statistically will come out much better versus some of the "Euro/Domestic Brands".

I remember somewhere I had read that the Toyota engineers designed and built the LC/LX's power train/transmission to survive (at extremes of conditions hot and cold climates) to at least 300K miles (with routine scheduled service) WITHOUT A REBUILD. That was partly why we decided to trade in our old LX470 at 280K miles (It was still running without any problems. But we felt we did not want to continue to roll the dice anymore). Our old LX470 had endured all kinds of extremes of temperature climates, deserts, high mountain with snow storms, towing under heavy loads, and etc.

Originally Posted by bdn

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-06-17 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-06-17, 06:39 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

To each his own - I'm part of the LS thread and there is a good half that believes in the VSA (peace of mind) due to the electronics and the air suspension (or in the case of the LX, the AHC).

NO
I figure, given the intermittent issues the LX has, you may as well put $3k in a CD or something and save it for a rainy day? While there are upgraded electronics, the 08-15 LX really didn't have that many issues. That's a big chance.

YES
I do a VSA purely for a peace of mind....everytime I drive into my Lexus service bay, I know I won't be worried too much what the Service Advisor says.
Old 01-06-17, 01:49 PM
bdn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your great replys. One minute, I'm like I don't need the additional warranty, then one minute, I'm thinking, it may not be a bad idea. Anyhow,I plan to keep the car for a long time but will probably drive less than 10,000 miles a year. Like ClaytonW had mentioned, because of the electronics and hydraulic suspension, buying the extended warranty may not be so bad in the long run. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-06-17, 02:30 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Shop around for your sources; while I would assume the Lexus VSA would be the best (Troy Dietrich and JErry Johnson can sell you genuine Lexus contracts for cheaper than most dealers, look them up in clublexus forums), many have also had good luck with their credit unions who sell warranties. Shop around, you have plenty of time to purchase one.

Lastly; if you have Geico, they sell MBI which is Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for pretty darn cheap (for my car it was ~$85/year) up to 7 years/100k miles or 8 years/100k miles.
The following users liked this post:
bdn (01-06-17)
Old 01-06-17, 09:52 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

For me, the main reason why I prefer to buy an extended warranty is that I don't have to decide if some minor issues on the car should be fixed or not (typically on 5 years or older car you can find for example a very minor oil leaks, some minor electronic issues etc.). it's usually O.K. to ignore them and save money but it's always better to fix these issues :-) That's also a reason when purchasing a used car to prefer a car still covered by a warranty.
Old 01-06-17, 11:09 PM
bdn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
For me, the main reason why I prefer to buy an extended warranty is that I don't have to decide if some minor issues on the car should be fixed or not (typically on 5 years or older car you can find for example a very minor oil leaks, some minor electronic issues etc.). it's usually O.K. to ignore them and save money but it's always better to fix these issues :-) That's also a reason when purchasing a used car to prefer a car still covered by a warranty.
Hi Clayton - you make a great point. With the extended warranty, even these minor leaks and issues will be addressed instead of ignored. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-17, 10:15 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
I would never buy extended warranty, especially Honda or Toyota. Maybe for the German cars. It is only for a dummy
On a BMW/MB forum, it is not a question whether to get it or not, it is a question of which one to get. But it doesn't mean that you are a dummy if you get an extended warranty (that's probably what DocT meant). He probably meant that Toyota are reliable enough that you are statistically ahead if you do not get an extended warranty in terms of repairs cost.
Old 01-08-17, 10:36 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
On a BMW/MB forum, it is not a question whether to get it or not, it is a question of which one to get. But it doesn't mean that you are a dummy if you get an extended warranty (that's probably what DocT meant). He probably meant that Toyota are reliable enough that you are statistically ahead if you do not get an extended warranty in terms of repairs cost.
You are right, Japanese cars are very reliable. Since I know how to drive, Japanese cars have never disappointed me. Just do routine maintenance , it will run forever. In addition, the OP seems to be very handy and knows how to fix stuff. It is everyone's choice or don't want to be a greasy monkey, then it is good to get extended warranty.

I just want to know much money for extended warranty and for how long in terms years and mileage. Someone mentioned 5-8 years or 100K miles extended warranty from Geico or dealership for how much more?

If it is for only 100K mile warranty, this truck would not have any problems.

Last edited by DocT; 01-08-17 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 05:11 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
You are right, Japanese cars are very reliable. Since I know how to drive, Japanese cars have never disappointed me. Just do routine maintenance , it will run forever. In addition, the OP seems to be very handy and knows how to fix stuff. It is everyone's choice or don't want to be a greasy monkey, then it is good to get extended warranty.

I just want to know much money for extended warranty and for how long in terms years and mileage. Someone mentioned 5-8 years or 100K miles extended warranty from Geico or dealership for how much more?

If it is for only 100K mile warranty, this truck would not have any problems.

I have the Geico MBI on my LX...I bought it because I pay about $30 a year for it. I do not think I would buy a $2-3K policy on this vehicle as it is very reliable.
Old 01-08-17, 06:45 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by malba2366
I have the Geico MBI on my LX...I bought it because I pay about $30 a year for it. I do not think I would buy a $2-3K policy on this vehicle as it is very reliable.
$30 a year is dirt cheap. However, you probably will have to fight with them to get paid when your LX is in the shop. I might be wrong because I've never had one. Be careful with those fine prints on the paper.
BTW, have you ever had to use it yet?

Last edited by DocT; 01-08-17 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 07:52 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

I have Geico, I have MBI and I haven't used it yet however from all reviews I've read, it is an exclusionary contract and Geico is pretty good in honoring claims. The only drawback to this cheap premium is a $250 deductible per incident. However, the way I look at it, the Lexus *should* not have multiple issues (comparably to a BMW or MB) and it's just a cheap insurance/peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty advice