LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Towing Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 09:25 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Towing Mirrors?

I use my LX to tow a horse trailer, and would like to add aftermarket tow mirrors. Without them lane changing is an adventure since the stock little mirrors can't be adjusted outward to see the adjacent lanes. There seems to be an Australian mirror that replaces the stock mirror, but a set is about $1500 without installation. None of the after market mirrors, either slip-on or clamp-on, are listed as being compatible with the LX. Has anyone found tow mirrors that work for them?

Just hoping for one of those few Lexus owners who tow or go off road will be able to respond.
Old 12-01-16, 04:49 PM
ellags430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in Australia,
Dont forget anything to suit australian cars is also to suit RHD cars. the mirror glass need to be able to tilt enough to see from the other side of the car, not all RHD mirrors tilt enough to suit LHD and vice versa

you think big old towing mirrors would tilt enough but you never know.

if the sellers in brisbane im happy to pop by for a test fit of a set and see if you can tilt them enough to see from the wrong side of the car :P
Old 12-01-16, 10:48 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ellags430
Im in Australia,
Dont forget anything to suit australian cars is also to suit RHD cars. the mirror glass need to be able to tilt enough to see from the other side of the car, not all RHD mirrors tilt enough to suit LHD and vice versa

you think big old towing mirrors would tilt enough but you never know.

if the sellers in brisbane im happy to pop by for a test fit of a set and see if you can tilt them enough to see from the wrong side of the car :P
Thanks very much for your response and offer. The seller is located near Melbourne, though. After looking into their mirrors further, it seems the price of 745AUS is for a set of two mirrors, and the two mirrors (pun intended) are mirror images of each other, so RHD vs LHD is not a problem. The seller is www.clearviewmirrors.com.au and they have an online installation video posted. Looks pretty simple for anyone comfortable with removing a door panel or door card. Since I had to do a lot of dismantling to get to the place Lexus hides the trailer brake wiring connector in the dash, a door will be a piece of cake. The mirrors hook up to the factory electrical connectors and bolt on to the same places as the factory mirrors and include any needed trim pieces, and they both fold and unfold as well as extend sideways manually. They come in either black or chrome, and with or without turn indicator lights. So now I'm just waiting to hear back from the seller whether they will ship a set to the USA. Will post before, during, and after pictures if I can get the mirrors shipped to me.
Old 12-12-16, 05:07 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

The mirrors arrived from Australia this afternoon. Cost for a pair of mirrors plus shipping was about $600US. They have mirrors available for both right-hand drive and left-hand drive Lexus 570's (the same mirrors also fit the Toyota Land Cruiser 200 series). They are wired with turn signal indicator lights, and for adjusting like the stock mirrors. They do not have the fold and unfold functions, but that can be done by hand. They come in either black or in chrome, and I ordered black. I'm considering painting them the same color as the vehicle, since I already have a couple of aerosol cans of matching Toyota/Lexus spray paint and clear coat that I ordered while doing my modification of the trailer hitch cover. If masking proves to be too tedious I'll probably go with keeping them black. I plan to install them in a few days and will post pictures when I'm done.
Old 12-15-16, 04:01 PM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds awesome. $600 is totally reasonable as well. Take some pics!
Old 12-23-16, 06:01 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Stay tuned for installation pictures. I won't have the time to work on the mirrors until sometime in January.