LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

'16 LX570 - programming TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 01:51 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Default '16 LX570 - programming TPMS

I just swapped my wheels for a set with winter tires. Both sets have original Lexus TPMS sensors. As usually, no one here (Costco, Discount Tires, Toyota) is able to make these sensors work with my '16 LX. They are usually succesfull with my LS460, Sequoia, Venza etc. But '16 LX is probably something special :-) Unfortunately, it is not probably able to remember 2 sets of tires :-( So I will have to drive an hour to my Lexus dealership. It takes time and it's also quite expensive.
Does anyone know if there are any TPMS sensors for '16LX which are cloneable? Or any tool which I could use to program the new tires myself? What do you use?
Old 11-23-16, 09:50 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Seriously, is it really a pain in the butt to have the new sensors read? For my BMW 7 series and Mercedes E class, no problem.
Old 11-23-16, 11:26 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

It looks that there is a problem with the sensors in new '16 LX 570. Even local Toyota dealer is not able to do it - they probably do not have their software updated.It looks that the is that they are not able to read the sensor id. I already know ids of one set of tires, its' not a problem to read them when they are already recorded in ECU. It looks that I will have to go to Lexus with these winter tires. But then I'll try to read/record id of the sensors. And next time I should be able to do it myself with Techstream + cable (I hope).
The best solution would be to buy a new TPMS sensors which can be clonned so they would have the same id as the sensors on the other tire set. But I am not sure if there are any cloneable sensors which would work with '16 LX570.
Old 11-24-16, 09:54 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
It looks that there is a problem with the sensors in new '16 LX 570. Even local Toyota dealer is not able to do it - they probably do not have their software updated.It looks that the is that they are not able to read the sensor id. I already know ids of one set of tires, its' not a problem to read them when they are already recorded in ECU. It looks that I will have to go to Lexus with these winter tires. But then I'll try to read/record id of the sensors. And next time I should be able to do it myself with Techstream + cable (I hope).
The best solution would be to buy a new TPMS sensors which can be clonned so they would have the same id as the sensors on the other tire set. But I am not sure if there are any cloneable sensors which would work with '16 LX570.
Software upgrades are automatic on TIS.

Service tech can print out ID info for all 5 sensors.

I've got the same issue with winter tires. Toyota's TMPS system for these trucks is a joke. I got sick of the yellow warning light and removed it...I check my tire pressures weekly, and the spare every month or prior to a road trip.
Old 11-24-16, 01:19 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by hankinid
I've got the same issue with winter tires. Toyota's TMPS system for these trucks is a joke. I got sick of the yellow warning light and removed it...I check my tire pressures weekly, and
the spare every month or prior to a road trip.
I would not mind the warning light so much but I really don't like the messages on the navigation display :-)
Old 11-27-16, 10:37 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Why is there a security issues with tpms? If you blew a tire and the tpms is destroyed, you have to get a dealer to reprogram a new tpms to the car? You can't just buy another Lexus tpms and the car would read it automatically? That just seems over and unnecessary engineering.
Old 11-28-16, 12:19 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

It was not a big issue with 2014 and older Lexus or Toyotas. Every tire shop could easily program their TPMS Sensors. But now it's completely different. No tire shop can do that and there are also problems at Lexus dealership. I spend 2 hours at my Lexus dealership on Saturday and no success - they were not able to read id from sensors which they installed in January. Unfortunately, they also did not have their id codes in computer so they will have to remove the tires from the rims and read the codes on the sensors. So I had to leave my LX there and got RX450h as a loaner (much better backup camera comparing to LX and also its adaptive headlights are great).
Fortunately I have id codes for my second set of wheels so when I swap them again, I hope that I will be able to use laptop and cable and program TPMS myself.
Old 11-28-16, 11:43 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

O.K., my dealership was successful today and I have TPMS on my winter tires finally working! I also received a list of IDs for my sensors. I am just not sure if they really should invoice me for $125 (removing tires, reading codes) because they installed these sensors in January and should know their codes or they should be able to read them using a scanner. But, on the other side, I worry that if I would fight for $60 discount, I could get an old Highlander instead the new RX450h as a loaner next time :-)
Old 12-05-16, 12:07 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Glad you got the issue ironed out. It doesn't hurt to ask unless your really concern between a Toyota vs. Lexus loaner. The LX should not see shops that often. You can tell your service consultant to reserve a Lexus next time you come in.
Old 04-11-17, 03:22 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Yesterday I decided it's time to swap my winter tires for the all-season AT tires. As I expected, Discount Tires told me that they cannot program TPMS on my '16 LX (and no one else can, just a dealership). I said O.K., it's not a problem, now I know the IDs so I can do it myself at home. Everythink looked good. I took Ateq Quickset and sent the new IDs to ECU. I also checked with a beta version of Carista app that the IDs in ECU are now correct for the new wheels. But it did not work. I drove about 10 miles and I still was not able to see the tire pressure on the display. I tried to repeat the procedure with Ateq Quickset and send the codes again but it did not help. I really did not understand where is the problem. So I decided to take LX to my Lexus Dealership today.
Fortunately, after driving about 20 miles to the dealership, it started to work. Now I can see presures for the tires and everything looks great. So probably, comparing to older Lexus cars, you have to drive about 20-30 miles after programming IDs for the new wheels.
Old 03-26-18, 12:05 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi all wanted to see if programming remains an issue - I am about to swap out the OEM 21" rims that came standard in the 2016 LX570 to a set of Toyota rims; from reading this post it seems even if I purchased OEM TPMS sensors (from partsgeek, Toyota, Lexus or Ebay) it seems issues would remain to program them to the LX570?
Old 04-10-18, 06:46 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wandl
Hi all wanted to see if programming remains an issue - I am about to swap out the OEM 21" rims that came standard in the 2016 LX570 to a set of Toyota rims; from reading this post it seems even if I purchased OEM TPMS sensors (from partsgeek, Toyota, Lexus or Ebay) it seems issues would remain to program them to the LX570?
Today, Discount Tires were finally able to register my TPMS correctly while swapping winter/summer wheels&tires. So probably, it's not a problem anymore.