LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

What do you dislike about your LX 570?

Old 02-06-17, 10:54 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hankinid - I knew about the gas mileage before purchase so no issues there. Truthfully, I was impressed with the Escalade mainly because I have the bar set so low for most domestic brands.
Old 02-06-17, 01:41 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
Esky was not the best in snow. LX isn't the best either, but better than Esky.
It does not make too much sense to compare cars based on snow performance. It depends mostly just on tires. LX with good winter tires has a great snow performance.
Old 02-07-17, 03:38 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

I would say the brakes are mediocre at best, almost had an accident today, a car stopped suddenly in front of me and I stepped hard on the brakes almost hit the guy in front. This happened at least couple time before, the brakes needs to be improved. I do not tailgate.
Old 02-08-17, 05:02 AM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up RE: Brakes

Originally Posted by ragabnh
I would say the brakes are mediocre at best, almost had an accident today, a car stopped suddenly in front of me and I stepped hard on the brakes almost hit the guy in front. This happened at least couple time before, the brakes needs to be improved. I do not tailgate.
Its a HUGE vehicle. I have a CDL and the bigger it is the harder it is to stop. But you are correct it wont stop on a dime for sure.

Last edited by tlhicks; 02-08-17 at 05:02 AM. Reason: errors
Old 02-08-17, 06:52 AM
Stonepa
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To put this in context, I came from owning Toyota Land Cruisers since 1987. My 2013 LX is a great vehicle but there are a few things that drive me a little crazy:
  • Tailgate cables often end up sticking out through the gap between lower tailgate and body.
  • Power upper tailgate (with a manual lower unlike my friend's Range Rover) is a gimmick and I would have been happy without.
  • I really don't like the cover that goes over the bumper hitch receiver. I use the hitch all the time and it looks poorly finished without the cover
  • Corrosion resistance still not where it needs to be. My wife's 2008 RX400h has zero rust. Rust is appearing on my 2013 LX along the weld lines on the lower tailgate. Sure, it's hidden when the tailgate is closed but this is not acceptable in a 3 year old vehicle these days.
  • Seat heating is slow and poor compared to the electric element in my 1998 Land Cruiser and the RX
  • Variable riding settings are worthless. No matter what I do I can't get the LX to ride as nicely as my 20 year old Land Cruiser.
  • 20" wheels don't help the ride.
  • Fuel tank is too small (same problem my LCs have). I wish I could get an extended range tank like what is available in other markets
  • Electronic shifting from low range to high range occasionally does not work, especially when cold. I much prefer a manual lever.
  • Offroad, when the second row seats are folded, they rub on the front seats and make a lot of noise.
  • Mark Levinson audio system doesn't put out enough volume
Other than that I love it. However, I will, most likely, buy another Land Cruiser next time.

Last edited by Stonepa; 02-08-17 at 06:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tlhicks (02-08-17)
Old 02-08-17, 07:40 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ML sound system doesn't put out enough volume, indeed
Old 02-08-17, 01:35 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Stonepa
To put this in context, I came from owning Toyota Land Cruisers since 1987. My 2013 LX is a great vehicle but there are a few things that drive me a little crazy:
  • Tailgate cables often end up sticking out through the gap between lower tailgate and body. PM user "Markuson" here...he had a great post on ih8mud.com on how to fix the cable issue...I searched through mud and could not find it.
  • Power upper tailgate (with a manual lower unlike my friend's Range Rover) is a gimmick and I would have been happy without. Agreed
  • I really don't like the cover that goes over the bumper hitch receiver. I use the hitch all the time and it looks poorly finished without the cover Meh.
  • Corrosion resistance still not where it needs to be. My wife's 2008 RX400h has zero rust. Rust is appearing on my 2013 LX along the weld lines on the lower tailgate. Sure, it's hidden when the tailgate is closed but this is not acceptable in a 3 year old vehicle these days. Get after the rust asap.
  • Seat heating is slow and poor compared to the electric element in my 1998 Land Cruiser and the RX. Our 200 feels to me like it heats faster than our 100.
  • Variable riding settings are worthless. No matter what I do I can't get the LX to ride as nicely as my 20 year old Land Cruiser. See below
  • 20" wheels don't help the ride.
  • Fuel tank is too small (same problem my LCs have). I wish I could get an extended range tank like what is available in other markets All that takes is a pile of cash and then finding a dealer in, say, Australia to help you with finding PN's that don't exist in North America, and exporting the pieces. Charcoal canister will need to be moved, among other things. Definitely not something you can accomplish on a sunny weekend afternoon.
  • Electronic shifting from low range to high range occasionally does not work, especially when cold. I much prefer a manual lever. I also.
  • Offroad, when the second row seats are folded, they rub on the front seats and make a lot of noise. Not an issue on either the LC or LX
  • Mark Levinson audio system doesn't put out enough volume Agreed
Other than that I love it. However, I will, most likely, buy another Land Cruiser next time.
As will I. I don't think the LX-specific doodads are worth the price difference between the LC and LX.
Old 02-09-17, 03:55 PM
MPR89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 LX570 Australia

Lack of storage space, no pockets or anything to store small items, besides door compartments and silly centre chiller
Dash board material - looks cheap and very glary in the sun
Front seat ventilation is basically non existant - and noisy
Wind noise through sunroof when cover is open
Old 02-10-17, 09:33 PM
pkim1078
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Small gas tank

2016 Lexus lx. I don't mind the lousy gas mileage which is expected for such a heavy car, but I wish the gas tank was larger. We drive a lot and we fill up our car minimum two to three times a week. The gas tank is small in comparison to the vehicle. I wish it was as big as the tundra gas tank (38 gallons)
Old 03-13-17, 11:32 PM
LamCars
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2016 Lexus LX:

1. As said earlier by pkim, the gas tank is pretty small and this car drinks a lot of it. Yes, understandable as it is a 5.7 N/A V8 but going to the gas station two times a week is not convenient.
2. I don't love the styling of the backend and I wish they integrated the backup lights into the tail lights themselves instead of like the last-gen where it's next to the license plate. I love the front-end though.
3. The power, I live on a hill so I have to get more on the gas going up even when I do have it in Sport/Sport+ Mode. I think Lexus is be able to tune it for more power because this car is very heavy.
4. The noise when you brake, when approaching a stop sign or braking as going down a hill, you could hear a weird noise when you get on the brakes, not just me because another member has it also.
5. I do somewhat feel that the transmission is a little shifty when you are accelerating from a stop, it kind of jolts you. Not bothersome but not super comfortable either.
6. Not too many times, but the navigation screen does freeze/crash. Just an power restart and it should go back to normal but if you're on the freeway then...

That's basically it as it is a great car with great technology. These are just things you find when you daily drive it.
Old 03-14-17, 12:18 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LamCars
2016 Lexus LX:
6. Not too many times, but the navigation screen does freeze/crash. Just an power restart and it should go back to normal but if you're on the freeway then...
I have the same issue. It does not happen very often - about 1-2x a month.
Old 03-14-17, 07:22 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LamCars
2016 Lexus LX:

3. The power, I live on a hill so I have to get more on the gas going up even when I do have it in Sport/Sport+ Mode. I think Lexus is be able to tune it for more power because this car is very heavy.

5. I do somewhat feel that the transmission is a little shifty when you are4 accelerating from a stop, it kind of jolts you. Not bothersome but not super comfortable either.

That's basically it as it is a great car with great technology. These are just things you find when you daily drive it.
Go here for some interesting info on the 8-speed v. the 6-speed. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new....914500/page-3 Personally, I'm glad I've got a 6-speed.
Old 03-14-17, 09:25 AM
TWillz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only had my '09 LX for about a month and I'm really enjoying it for the most part. Two things that bug me the most are the side mirror wobbles when it's windy or I'm traveling on the interstate, and the fact that my fresh air / recirculate door servo is broken so I get the grinding noise from the passenger side dash every time the climate control is turned on. Wish I would have discovered that one before I purchased it so I could have negotiated with the dealer to fix it since I've heard it's an expensive repair.

Other than that I'm loving it. I traded in an '08 GX 470 which was a pretty good truck too, it just couldn't handle towing my boat as well as I would have liked.
Old 03-14-17, 10:17 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I have the same issue. It does not happen very often - about 1-2x a month.
Same issue here: I mentioned it to the service department the last time I brought my car in for a 10k checkup.. They said it needed an update, but it solved nothing and the NAV system still crashes 1-2x/month and then it reboots itself. Waiting for the right time to get angry enough in order to deal with those service dirtbags again.

Last edited by yakim; 03-14-17 at 10:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ClaytonW (03-14-17)
Old 03-14-17, 11:58 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TWillz
I have only had my '09 LX for about a month and I'm really enjoying it for the most part. Two things that bug me the most are the side mirror wobbles when it's windy or I'm traveling on the interstate, and the fact that my fresh air / recirculate door servo is broken so I get the grinding noise from the passenger side dash every time the climate control is turned on. Wish I would have discovered that one before I purchased it so I could have negotiated with the dealer to fix it since I've heard it's an expensive repair.

Other than that I'm loving it. I traded in an '08 GX 470 which was a pretty good truck too, it just couldn't handle towing my boat as well as I would have liked.
Check the 200 series on ih8mud.com for a solution. Issue is caused when the cabin air filter is changed with the internal-external baffle in the external position.

hth

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you dislike about your LX 570?