LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

What do you dislike about your LX 570?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 01:50 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
if you have about 10 minutes to spare and (iirc) a 14mm socket, the 3rd row is definitely and easily removable. No rocket science is involved.
This process would not be like my LX470.
Old 11-07-16, 10:55 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
This process would not be like my LX470.
Nor like my LX470.

If you need to remove / replace seats once a week, it would be a PITA as you're laying on your side to access a bolt or 2. I've never had the need for more than 5 seats, so mine were removed and stored for both trucks.
Old 11-29-16, 07:21 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On road trips, I sit in the back with the baby. In order to have good leg room, I have to slide the front seat forward b/c I'm unable to put my feet under the seat. I never realized i did that until I was unable to in the LX.
Old 11-30-16, 05:16 PM
LazyL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gptgirl
On road trips, I sit in the back with the baby. In order to have good leg room, I have to slide the front seat forward b/c I'm unable to put my feet under the seat. I never realized i did that until I was unable to in the LX.
you must be very tall I'm 5'9 and have plenty of room in the back seat ? Did u slide the back seat back ?
Old 12-04-16, 06:33 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
Don't get me wrong, I love the truck, but it is not perfect. My complaint is entertainment system does not let you have videos from Youtube by using data from your cell phone. Do you guys know how to bypass it and allow one to see videos on the screens?
This question is easy since I just filled out the Consumer eports survey about the LX this afternoon. Overall, I like the LX. It rides pretty well, is quiet, znd tows a heck of a lot better than the LX470 and GX470's I had before it.

1. Can't get a full sheet of plywood in the back, but a 4x4 piece is no problem so I usually have it cut when I buy it.
2. Hauling 10 foot lumber means the front ends have to rest on the dashboard. Hauling 8 ft lumber means the front ends have to rest on the console cooler box lid.
3. Those cheesy straps to hold the second row seats forward.
4. No quick and temporary way to remove third row seats. With seats folded up a golf bag wont fit across the floor like it would in the earlier LX's.
5. Poor voice recognition by the nav system. I've quit trying to use it.
6. Reverse camera very slow to engage, sometimes requiring a repeat shift into reverse.
7. Reverse camera not centered on the vehicle.
8. Lines superimposed on reverse screen block the view of the trailer hitch.
9. Removing the cover over the receiver every time I need to tow. Solved that by buying a second cover and making a cutout in it so I can leave the hitch ball installed all the time.
10. Trailer electric plug location too far to the right side. Solved that by relocating it just to the left of the receiver tube, where it typically is in most tow equipped vehicles
11. Connector for trailer brake controller not where Toyota says it is. It's actually much higher and wrapped inside a larger cable. Finding it is a painful under-dash experience and requires a bit of dash disassembly.
12. Lack of availability of decent towing mirrors for the vehicle since the aftermarket for them is so small
13. No readily accessible grommet/plug to run wiring from engine compartment into the car interior.
14. No easy way to disable the rear door warning beeper so long objects can be transported home from the store. Solved that by finding a way to trick the alarm.
15. Roof rack is too small to be of much use hauling long lumber or ladders.
16. Passenger cannot use reset the nav system on the fly.
17. Wheel locks are too easy to strip if dealer uses air impact wrench to tighten the lugs. Long, expensive story involving a long tow truck ride but I no longer have wheel locks installed.
18. A decent lug wrench in the tool kit would be nice.
19. MCenter cup holders not deep enough to hold a tall insulated coffee cup securely.
20. Levinson amplifier underneath driver's seat and carpet prone to overheat since its cooling vents are blocked and is not repairable through Lexus. Replacement is over 41000.

All pretty small stuff, and I've found fixes for most of them. Even a place to repair the amplifier if you remove, ship it away, and reinstall it yourself. At 75K miles and almost 3 years engine, driveline, HVAC, suspension, steering have all been without problems.
Old 12-04-16, 07:26 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
This question is easy since I just filled out the Consumer eports survey about the LX this afternoon. Overall, I like the LX. It rides pretty well, is quiet, znd tows a heck of a lot better than the LX470 and GX470's I had before it.

1. Can't get a full sheet of plywood in the back, but a 4x4 piece is no problem so I usually have it cut when I buy it.
2. Hauling 10 foot lumber means the front ends have to rest on the dashboard. Hauling 8 ft lumber means the front ends have to rest on the console cooler box lid.
4. No quick and temporary way to remove third row seats. With seats folded up a golf bag wont fit across the floor like it would in the earlier LX's.
6. Reverse camera very slow to engage, sometimes requiring a repeat shift into reverse.
9. Removing the cover over the receiver every time I need to tow. Solved that by buying a second cover and making a cutout in it so I can leave the hitch ball installed all the time.
10. Trailer electric plug location too far to the right side. Solved that by relocating it just to the left of the receiver tube, where it typically is in most tow equipped vehicles
11. Connector for trailer brake controller not where Toyota says it is. It's actually much higher and wrapped inside a larger cable. Finding it is a painful under-dash experience and requires a bit of dash disassembly.
12. Lack of availability of decent towing mirrors for the vehicle since the aftermarket for them is so small
13. No readily accessible grommet/plug to run wiring from engine compartment into the car interior.
14. No easy way to disable the rear door warning beeper so long objects can be transported home from the store. Solved that by finding a way to trick the alarm.
17. Wheel locks are too easy to strip if dealer uses air impact wrench to tighten the lugs. Long, expensive story involving a long tow truck ride but I no longer have wheel locks installed.
19. MCenter cup holders not deep enough to hold a tall insulated coffee cup securely.
20. Levinson amplifier underneath driver's seat and carpet prone to overheat since its cooling vents are blocked and is not repairable through Lexus. Replacement is over 41000.

All pretty small stuff, and I've found fixes for most of them. Even a place to repair the amplifier if you remove, ship it away, and reinstall it yourself. At 75K miles and almost 3 years engine, driveline, HVAC, suspension, steering have all been without problems.
You need Limited Edition Tundra for luxury and hauling.
Old 12-04-16, 09:40 PM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Superbeast;9657118] I wish you could show a DVD for the rear screen, and still use the radio or XM for the front seat passengers.

You can. I've done it many times in our 2010 and our 2013. The kids do it so I can't tell you how, but it works. The kids listen to their movie through the headphones and my wife and I listen to the radio, satellite, or USB.
Old 12-04-16, 09:56 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

That's why I decided to keep my old Sequoia :-)
Old 12-05-16, 08:34 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DocT
You need Limited Edition Tundra for luxury and hauling.
No 8ft bed. I build and move horse jumps that are 12 feet long. Even with a bed extender the typical 6.5 ft beds just don't do the job. I read that Nissan may come out with an 8 ft bed truck for 2017.
Old 12-05-16, 12:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

No 8ft bed. I build and move horse jumps that are 12 feet long. Even with a bed extender the typical 6.5 ft beds just don't do the job. I read that Nissan may come out with an 8 ft bed truck for 2017.
For hauling jumps, I use a 20 foot trailer pulled by either my Land Cruiser or preferably by a Dodge longbed with Cummins.

Crossbars or poles on the ground go in the bed of the truck. Loading and unloading is simple as the trailer bed is only 2 feet off the ground. I can also park the trailer for playdays, clinics, or shows after the stuff is delivered, and I've got the use of the tow vehicle until the jumps need removal.
Old 12-05-16, 08:47 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
That's why I decided to keep my old Sequoia :-)
I should have kept my Sequoia. Damn! Oh well, this one's for the wife anyways, and the only stuff she hauls around are the kids and her purse. But I'm determine to take it off road just for the fun of it - Texas hill country only.
Old 12-07-16, 10:41 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

41000??!? Do you mean US $4,100?

A travesty either way....
Old 12-07-16, 07:54 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by docboy
41000??!? Do you mean US $4,100?

A travesty either way....
Sorry. The initial number should have been a dollar sign. The figure I gave was old. Current price of a new one is $1,300 plus installation labor. A used one is about $600-700. Lexus had a deal with the maker that they will only replace a broken one with a new unit, however, not have your old one repaired or sell you a used one.. Sending your broken one for repair is now $600, with your own labor to remove and reinstall. Not a hard job but it does involve removing the driver's seat, the door sill, and a portion of carpet for access. And, if you want to drive your Lexus during the wait time, you need to reinstall the seat and remove it a second time.
Old 12-10-16, 04:10 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Every once in a while I get a very hard shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. Just depends on the load and amount of throttle applied. It creates a pretty good "clunk" which can not be good for the tranny. I had Lexus look at this at the 10k and they said they DID get it to do what I was experiencing. I was waiting for my vehicle to be returned and I did not have time for them to text drive a few other LX units to see if mine was the only one with the problem. I know it is not normal as I have owned multiple LX units and never had this before. Will leave it with them on the 15k to test.
Old 01-15-17, 07:51 AM
LXXX570
Driver School Candidate

I dislike the fact that it does not have blind spot monitoring. Especially given the fact that it is offered on almost all of their other models.

Quick Reply: What do you dislike about your LX 570?