LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2015 LX570 Liftgate Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 07:38 AM
CeeB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 LX570 Liftgate Problems

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their powered liftgate on a LX570 - we just spent $7,000 getting it fixed on a vehicle that is just a year old.

While closing the liftgate on a long road trip with a well loaded trunk, a small piece of luggage fell between the liftgate and closing latch right as the gate was almost closed. The gate attempted to close but then reversed up - safety mechanism appeared to work. After this however, the liftgate would not close more than half-way without reversing up again, even though clear. Tried to close with power over and over, with no success. Ultimately had to manually force the liftgate to close b/c we were on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and couldn't drive otherwise.

After this, the liftgate would open but would not close automatically. It had to be forced to close again, and when closed, appeared to be slightly askew with the tail-light misaligned by maybe 1/2 an inch.

Took it in for repair when we got home. Was first told it would be $1,600 to replace the hinges and realign the tailgate, but once they had the thing disassembled, was told the whole roof panel needed to be replaced, costing a full $7,000. Luckily, insurance will cover this, but we are very disappointed with the build quality and fact that Lexus would not cover this work under warranty since this was not caused by an accident but rather the failure of the automatic liftgate.

Anyone else have this trouble?
Old 10-04-16, 08:50 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I would say you case was extremely rare as I do not see many defective lift gates posts here. I have owned 5-6 LX570 units and not one has caused me any problems requiring me to get it serviced other than just regular planned maintenance.

$7000 is a lot of money and it must have been very involved to fix.
Old 10-04-16, 11:24 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CeeB
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their powered liftgate on a LX570 - we just spent $7,000 getting it fixed on a vehicle that is just a year old.

While closing the liftgate on a long road trip with a well loaded trunk, a small piece of luggage fell between the liftgate and closing latch right as the gate was almost closed. The gate attempted to close but then reversed up - safety mechanism appeared to work. After this however, the liftgate would not close more than half-way without reversing up again, even though clear. Tried to close with power over and over, with no success. Ultimately had to manually force the liftgate to close b/c we were on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and couldn't drive otherwise.

After this, the liftgate would open but would not close automatically. It had to be forced to close again, and when closed, appeared to be slightly askew with the tail-light misaligned by maybe 1/2 an inch.

Took it in for repair when we got home. Was first told it would be $1,600 to replace the hinges and realign the tailgate, but once they had the thing disassembled, was told the whole roof panel needed to be replaced, costing a full $7,000. Luckily, insurance will cover this, but we are very disappointed with the build quality and fact that Lexus would not cover this work under warranty since this was not caused by an accident but rather the failure of the automatic liftgate.

It appears that the "accident" is what I accented in red above. Can you submit the claim to your insurance company under your comprehensive coverage?

OT, and I know I'm preaching to the choir, but how much automation v. reliability (or lack thereof) can you stand? Compared to a Cruiser, you get another hundred pounds of electrical parts and an ecu or 2 just to lift or lower your tailgate. Difficult to believe there's enough power in the system to distort the roof. Not to mention seats that open and fold with more wiring as opposed to flipping 2 levers and lifting a bit.
Old 10-04-16, 01:52 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good thing is the insurance is paying for it as " accident". You can not ask Lexus to fix when the cause is not faulty design, like you bend the fender of the truck and ask Lexus to pay for it.
Old 10-07-16, 12:25 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

LOL, When we had our old LX470 before we got our new LX570 my wife accidentally closed the garage door while still trying to drive INTO the garage. The OLD LX470 was such a tough truck as it was. The old LX470 did some $3000 damage to the garage door!!! All the garage door panels and tracks got bent and had to be replaced.

Fast forward to 2013 when we got our new LX570. ......... within the first month while my son pressed the auto close button on the rear hatch door on the LX570, simultaneously my wife hit the close button on the garage door. Needless to say, the LX570 WON AGAIN!!!! The garage door sustained substantial damage again!!! The LX570 rear hatch door got away with only a slight scratch which buffed out without any problems. Since then I have instructed all members of my family NOBODY is going to press the CLOSE button ANYWHERE (in the car, on the wall, or any hand held remote)!!!!! Only the driver of the car can press the CLOSE button ANYWHERE!!! This way the DRIVER will make sure the vehicle has cleared the garage door!!! LOL.

Originally Posted by CeeB

Old 01-16-22, 04:18 AM
ThatLexusM
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine is broken too...help!

I have that issue!!!!
Nothing was ever stuck in my case, i was passing a checkpoint whereby the boot of my car needed to he checked by security.
When the security guard finished checking I pressed the button to close the tailgate and he simultaneously forced the tailgate down manually (grrrrrr)
So since he it hasn't been working....it was trying to close ans then reversed back up as OP memtioned. Then if I forced to open or close manually a huge popping noise happened!
I noticed as well as Op that there is a slight misalignment the boot door os not straight on one side.

I haven't yet taken it to the garage but i already know it's expensive as a friend of mine has had that same issue with his LX.

I just want to ask if anybody else if that happened and how it was fixed....im so gutted this happened
Old 01-16-22, 03:45 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

The bodyshop claims that the roof panel has to be replaced... Did they show u where the bent metal is? Something to justify their 'diagnosis' rather than file for insurance. I wonder if the motor was 'internally' damaged (off gear / bent.....) causing one side to 'misalign?
Old 04-08-24, 06:37 AM
wmann143
1st Gear

Default Any Update?

Originally Posted by ThatLexusM
I have that issue!!!!
Nothing was ever stuck in my case, i was passing a checkpoint whereby the boot of my car needed to he checked by security.
When the security guard finished checking I pressed the button to close the tailgate and he simultaneously forced the tailgate down manually (grrrrrr)
So since he it hasn't been working....it was trying to close ans then reversed back up as OP memtioned. Then if I forced to open or close manually a huge popping noise happened!
I noticed as well as Op that there is a slight misalignment the boot door os not straight on one side.

I haven't yet taken it to the garage but i already know it's expensive as a friend of mine has had that same issue with his LX.

I just want to ask if anybody else if that happened and how it was fixed....im so gutted this happened
This just happened to me two days ago... I was in a hurry, hit the close button, but it took too long, so I tried to close it manually. There was a chattering noise and a bit of resistance, but nothing alarming, Now the liftgate is totally misaligned, binding on the roof, and won't open more than a few inches! What a weird problem! It's like there is a slip joint in the upper right (passenger side) hinge. Anyone know of a simple fix?