LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Interior Wood Question

Old 09-30-16, 05:15 PM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interior Wood Question

So... I purchased a new Nebula Grey Pearl LX570 today and had an interesting experience. While the tech guy was explaining all the gadgets in the LX, I noticed there was a difference in the wood on the steering wheel vs the wood everywhere else. All the wood in the LX is the linear espresso, but, the steering wheel appears to be a walnut (maybe...I don't know what it is). I do know it is def different. The tech guy took pictures and then everyone came to look at it. Not a single person at the Lexus dealership could explain the discrepancy. The service manager told me that he thinks it is supposed to be that way. Well...not according to the Lexus website:
Unlike anything else in the world, the stunning design of the available Linear Dark Mocha or Linear Espresso steering wheel and matching trim combines the organic feel of natural wood with a layered look that evokes modern art. The result of 67 steps of craftsmanship over 38 days, the wheel is formed from many layers of thinly cut wood, bonded together and meticulously shaped and buffed to align with the look of the wood on the instrument panel.
According to the Lexus website, it says the wheel matches all the trim. It clearly does not in my vehicle.

So, my question to the forum is...has anyone else experienced this? Is it correct? I have pics of the differences and posting them on this thread as well. Any help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Wood Question-img_6727.jpg   Interior Wood Question-img_6726.jpg  
Old 09-30-16, 06:04 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is the same texture as yours. I am not expert, but I think the wood was cut at different angles. It would be very ugly if the steer wheel has strike pattern texture.
Old 09-30-16, 06:28 PM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm... I have found it in the linear pattern. The pattern on my steering wheel appears to be the walnut pattern. Attaching pics from Lexus .... The 3rd is a picture from the LS model. I think the pattern is quite sharp and in line with the aesthetics.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Wood Question-img_1405.jpg   Interior Wood Question-img_1406.jpg   Interior Wood Question-img_1407.jpg  
Old 09-30-16, 07:18 PM
DocT
Pole Position

DrBarlow,

Could you take the picture of the whole front of your truck, including the panel to compare? You are right, it looks better.

Last edited by DocT; 10-01-16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 10:15 PM
ligflava
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the picture from C&D

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...mented-test#27

looks like the wood trim on the wheel is different than the linear espresso. it has the heated steering wheel so maybe that's why the trim doesn't match.

Last edited by ligflava; 10-01-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-02-16, 03:05 PM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

DocT - I will get you a picture tomorrow and let you see the difference. At this time...I am posting pics from my "build" of the vehicle that I forgot I had, and you can clearly see the linear pattern in the steering wheel.

Ligflava - you are correct in the car and driver picture. Very interesting. The pics I am posting today are with the heated steering option. Also, the LS, which has heated steering, has the linear wood as well. Just not sure why they would mix the woods. They don't compliment each other at all. Completely different colorations.
Old 10-02-16, 04:01 PM
DocT
Pole Position

My car was also "built" or customized at the time I ordered it. The only way that I think they do this with the certain exterior colors? That being said, my exterior color is Silver (exactly like from Car and Driver Magazine) and DrBarlow's is Nebula Grey Pearl.

Is there anyone want to chime in?

Last edited by DocT; 10-02-16 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 10:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

My GS had the linear espresso wood and the steering wheel didnt match the same as your LX.
Old 11-17-16, 05:59 AM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

Default ***update***

The dealership, after lengthy emails and discussion, has ordered a replacement steering wheel with the correct wood. They have offered no explanation as to WHY or HOW the truck was shipped with the wrong steering wheel. I am to a point of exhaustion with this dealership. They are the only Lexus that is close to where I live, but, this will be my final purchase from them. I took my 2 month old LX to the dealership yesterday because there was a line that was forming, and growing, across the projector screen on the HUD. 1.5hrs later they come out and tell me they have to order a new projector because the one in my vehicle is "bad" --- they further tell me they could "probably" fix it, but they want it to be right. Okay. They had washed my vehicle while it was in the back...something I always ask them not to do. I do not want swirls in my paint. In this case, it revealed ANOTHER issue. As I was pulling out of the dealership, I noticed water running down the rear window, however, it appeared the water was INSIDE the vehicle and not outside. I got out and the back window OUTSIDE was dry...water continued to run down the window INSIDE the vehicle. I drove back around and back into the service bay... got out... service rep comes back out and I show him. He asked me if I opened the back gate, bc, water could have gotten in that way. I glared at him for a loooooong second and proceeded to ask him how water would run over the interior and UP against gravity onto the back window and then DOWN the window. He could provide no answer. Upon further inspection, it appears that the water is entering the vehicle through the 3rd brake light. The service foreman was not there at the time. The service manager was called to come look, and instead he told them to give me a loaner and they would look at it tomorrow. I was VERY displeased with his decision to not look, but I expect no less from the service manager. He is useless and I have never had a good experience with him. Anyway, my concern now is that water has penetrated the rear 3rd brake lamp housing and I am concerned about corrosion or other issues that could arise from exposure to water. Not to mention...water is entering my "sealed" vehicle.

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to handle this? Is there a way to get a Lexus representative involved? How did this vehicle pass inspection - water leak inspection - HUD inspection - interior inspection - and so forth? I do not feel comfortable with my dealership handling this bc their priority is their bottom line ($$$). I would be much more comfortable with Lexus overseeing these issues. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-17-16, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I bet you the new wheel from Lexus is going to look the same way...

These issues are pretty minor. I would let them replace the HUD projector and address the third brake light which I'm sure is just a seal that was penetrated by their high pressure wash. You brought the car in for the HUD issue and they had to order a part...and you discovered the leak and are frustrated because they kept the car to address it and put you in a loaner? I'm not sure what else the dealer could have done here.

Your only option is going to be to take it to another dealer. Lexus has no way to address any issues other than addressing them through the dealer. I don't think your issues have risen to the level where you'll get anything out of contacting Lexus.
Old 11-17-16, 11:46 AM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

SW15LS - I had to go back and read my post. I am not upset that they put me in a loaner. I am fine with them attempting to fix the issues. I was just typing out the events as they happened. My frustration is with the "minor" issues that are occurring with a brand new, almost $100k vehicle. Maybe my expectations are too high...

As far as the steering wheel goes, I was contacted earlier by the General Manager for the Automotive Group I am dealing with, and he has confirmed that the steering wheel shipped with my vehicle is absolutely incorrect. He assured me that the steering wheel would be exactly what was/is listed on my invoice...as I paid extra for the specific wood and heated option.
Old 11-17-16, 02:01 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrBarlow
SW15LS - I had to go back and read my post. I am not upset that they put me in a loaner. I am fine with them attempting to fix the issues. I was just typing out the events as they happened. My frustration is with the "minor" issues that are occurring with a brand new, almost $100k vehicle. Maybe my expectations are too high...

As far as the steering wheel goes, I was contacted earlier by the General Manager for the Automotive Group I am dealing with, and he has confirmed that the steering wheel shipped with my vehicle is absolutely incorrect. He assured me that the steering wheel would be exactly what was/is listed on my invoice...as I paid extra for the specific wood and heated option.
Dr. Barlow,
I believe my interior is the same as yours and some how you pulled it off to get the one that match rest of the interior. How much more did you have to pay for it? What is the number of the general manager because I might want the one that match with the rest of the interior? Do they let you keep the old one?

I would watch that third break light after next wash. I had the same issue with mine after I washed it for the 1st time, I noticed condensation on the passenger side. I did not do anything and the next several washes, I still have not never seen any condensation at all after that. Maybe the seal has expanded to seal it off.

Last edited by DocT; 11-17-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'll believe it when I see it, my bet that the new wheel looks the same as the old wheel still stands.

As for the dealer, totally understandable that you would be upset with issues with your new car. Just remember though, the dealer didn't build the car and they aren't to blame for the issues. All they can do is fix it for you right.
Old 11-17-16, 08:39 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a few pics from my vehicle just purchase less than a wheel. You may not know this, but the same piece of wood cut from different angle will look different. Especially when the steering wheel is round and curves. As long as the color match, you cannot expect the pattern to match. Look at mine with the flash shined on it. The pictures on C/D does not shine a light on the steering wheel. The lacquer on the wheel and dash woods make it look very tinted. I, too, doubt that you get a steering wheel that will much the other wood.

If you go to the LX photo on the Lexus website, zoom in on the steering wheel. They have a large picture of it, and it does not look like the same wood pattern. Off topic, what I don't like is the use of cheap material for the shifter. It's not even real leather.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Wood Question-20161117_222619-large-.jpg   Interior Wood Question-20161117_222729-large-.jpg   Interior Wood Question-20161117_222739-large-.jpg   Interior Wood Question-20161117_222831-large-.jpg   Interior Wood Question-20161117_222902-large-.jpg  

Interior Wood Question-20161117_222943-large-.jpg   Interior Wood Question-20161117_223018-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Bimmer32; 11-17-16 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-18-16, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Looks exactly the same, and like I said back when this thread was new, thats how the wood wheel on my GS was with the linear espresso trim.

The wood trim in my LS is not the linear espresso trim, its the shimamoku trim. So looking at a steering wheel from an LS and saying your LX should look that way doesn't make sense, the trims are different. The Shimamoku trim is an engineered wood, so they actually layer the wood by hand to achieve that same look, thats why the steering wheel can mirror what the rest of the trim looks like, its layered to look that way by people. Like Bimmer said, with the linear espresso wood, thats the grain of the natural wood, and when you cut out a core of the wood like you do for a wheel, its going to look different than it looks as a flat veneer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Wood Question