LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX 570 Bump Steer

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 07:22 AM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LX 570 Bump Steer

How are you all dealing with the bump steer on your LX at freeway speeds? For me, it seems sort of unsafe how much the vehicle steering is affected by potholes & uneven pavement, etc. when hitting these bumps while traveling at 50+ mph.

Thoughts?
Old 09-22-16, 08:50 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Caster too low may be contributory...Get to the 200-series section on mud and search for bump steer.

hth
Old 09-22-16, 09:14 AM
brywhite
Rookie

Thanks hankinid, I had been searching around in ih8mud.com forums and found little mention about any bump steer issues except the one which had to do with Wheel Caster.

I'll look again.

My truck really moves around when hitting most potholes, uneven pavement, sections of highway that are higher than the previous, and is a little disconcerting. Before buying the LX, I think I remember a review or forum post, video or something which claimed the LC / LX didn't have a steering stabilizer or dampener because it that had a negative impact to off road performance - for whatever reason. So... I presumed the bump steer was normal and California roads are pretty bad in some places.

Are you saying that your LX "charges through" and mows over potholes and uneven pavement and maintains a straight line without any side to side feedback of the steering wheel resulting in slight redirection of vehicle path requiring the driver to counter the effect?

Last edited by brywhite; 09-22-16 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 10:51 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have 16 land cruiser without your problem. I wonder if that has to do with wheels size. With bigger wheel and stiffer walls, the truck doesn't absorb as good road imperfections and follows those road imperfections. I can see that when comparing two of our BMWs (one of sport suspension and one with adjustable).
Old 09-22-16, 09:10 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brywhite
Thanks hankinid, I had been searching around in ih8mud.com forums and found little mention about any bump steer issues except the one which had to do with Wheel Caster.

I'll look again.

My truck really moves around when hitting most potholes, uneven pavement, sections of highway that are higher than the previous, and is a little disconcerting. Before buying the LX, I think I remember a review or forum post, video or something which claimed the LC / LX didn't have a steering stabilizer or dampener because it that had a negative impact to off road performance - for whatever reason. So... I presumed the bump steer was normal and California roads are pretty bad in some places.

Are you saying that your LX "charges through" and mows over potholes and uneven pavement and maintains a straight line without any side to side feedback of the steering wheel resulting in slight redirection of vehicle path requiring the driver to counter the effect?
Nothing comes to mind re: a stabilizer having a negative impact off road. That assumes the front suspension was designed with a damper in mind. Wife hauls 5-6K trailer w/ horses with a Dodge 2500. Its damper is a necessity. Maybe the difference is the LX's rack and pinion v. the Ram's pittman arm design.

My truck is a '13 Cruiser. No AHC but does have KDSS. I get great steering wheel feedback, but no uncommanded course changes. Mine came with OEM 18" wheels and OEM (I think) Michelin Latitude HP's. I judged them mediocre at best and sometimes a bit scary on graded gravel, let alone bumpy or washboard roads. They were ditched immediately for Toyo AT II's on the OEM wheels, and a set of Blizzaks for winter here on Tundra wheels. I definitely prefer a taller section LT tire in 8 or 10 ply for local roads.
Old 09-23-16, 02:32 PM
brywhite
Rookie

Hmmmm... well... I guess I'll wait to hear from some 2016 LX owners with 21's... to see what they think. To me, it feels normal / expected at low speed all the way up to 50 on just about any road. Great feedback from the road.. bumps can be felt in the steering wheel & the wheel moves slightly on its own. Its when you go faster, like 60+ that it happens on relatively deep potholes, uneven pavement bumps and transitions between freeway sections that are not the same height. The steering wheel again moves, only now since the vehicle is traveling at a higher velocity the effect is more pronounced.

Guess if I'm the only one experiencing this I'll take to the dealer for a check up.

And... maybe, just maybe they can figure out a way to quiet the rattling second row seat while its in there! Does yours have that issue?
Old 09-23-16, 03:11 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

And... maybe, just maybe they can figure out a way to quiet the rattling second row seat while its in there! Does yours have that issue?
No rattles whatsoever.

Unless a prior back seat passenger did not clip their belt and buckle on the side panel. Then it's a tap-tap-tap that tends to drive me nuts in an otherwise silent truck.

Last edited by hankinid; 09-23-16 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 04:36 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have any bump steer I can speak of, and also much prefer the stiffer ride and aesthetics of 21" wheels
Old 09-24-16, 02:47 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Jacksonville is going though a perpetual expressway upgrade and driving through town on uneven pavement with occasional dip and holes, my LX takes it all is stride and behaves well considering the conditions. My only complaint is that they never seem to get finished. These "good union jobs" seem to go on and on forever.
Old 01-18-20, 06:30 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmmm... well... I guess I'll wait to hear from some 2016 LX owners with 21's... to see what they think. To me, it feels normal / expected at low speed all the way up to 50 on just about any road. Great feedback from the road.. bumps can be felt in the steering wheel & the wheel moves slightly on its own. Its when you go faster, like 60+ that it happens on relatively deep potholes, uneven pavement bumps and transitions between freeway sections that are not the same height. The steering wheel again moves, only now since the vehicle is traveling at a higher velocity the effect is more pronounced.

Guess if I'm the only one experiencing this I'll take to the dealer for a check up.

Did you ever figure this out? Same problem on a 13 LX