Worked it for me 4 yrs ago.
The following users liked this post:
Max707 (11-25-17)
Old 11-26-17, 08:06 AM
barathank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
I'd be astounded if it goes away. No whistling with oem wipers on my 200 and that includes oem wipers, Michelin, and Bosch Icons which I finally settled on. I'd be looking at the luggage rack and general windshield installation. Does your truck have its original windshield?
Yes the truck has the original windshield (the driver corner still states Lexus logo in the windshield).

I will try to move the luggage rack and circle back.
Old 11-26-17, 02:00 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by barathank
Yes the truck has the original windshield (the driver corner still states Lexus logo in the windshield).

It took me two tries to find a quiet spot for the cross bars, so if at first it doesn't work, suggest you try again.
Old 11-26-17, 04:36 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
It took me two tries to find a quiet spot for the cross bars, so if at first it doesn't work, suggest you try again.
Toyota had to issue a tsb for the 100 series roof rack related to noise. Each cross bar needs to be at the end of it's travel...i.e., front bar as forward as possible and rear bar as far to the rear...cross bars are installed so that the narrow side of the bar airfoil points forward on both. Maybe something to try.

hth

Steve
Max707 (11-27-17)
Old 11-26-17, 04:42 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Toyota had to issue a tsb for the 100 series roof rack related to noise. Each cross bar needs to be at the end of it's travel...i.e., front bar as forward as possible and rear bar as far to the rear...cross bars are installed so that the narrow side of the bar airfoil points forward on both. Maybe something to try.

hth

Steve
barathank (11-27-17)
Old 11-27-17, 08:35 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

hth

Steve
Thats how mine are on my 200 series no noise
barathank (11-27-17)
Old 12-28-17, 02:25 PM
barathank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Quick Update, I have moved the ski rack all the way to the back and no more whistling noise. Thanks a bunch for you help on this!
Old 12-28-17, 04:48 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

That’s what we are here for. Also by confirming what worked you have helped others in the future
Old 12-29-17, 08:12 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Wink

Quick Update, I have moved the ski rack all the way to the back and no more whistling noise. Thanks a bunch for you help on this!
Barathank, you can thank Toyota for the TSB on the 100 series rack.

Happy New Year.

Steve
Old 07-23-18, 07:28 PM
Bhebert449
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping this thread as I am new to the forum and am a new owner of a 2015 LX 570. I am noticing wind noise at highway speeds from the driver side.

i looked at the position of the cross bars on the luggage rack and the front is in the forward most position and the rear in the rear most position. Should I push the front cross bar more to the rear? Is another possible cause the gasket around the windshield?
Old 07-23-18, 08:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Question

Originally Posted by Bhebert449
Bumping this thread as I am new to the forum and am a new owner of a 2015 LX 570. I am noticing wind noise at highway speeds from the driver side.

i looked at the position of the cross bars on the luggage rack and the front is in the forward most position and the rear in the rear most position. Should I push the front cross bar more to the rear? Is another possible cause the gasket around the windshield?
Luggage rack question was asked and correctly answered. Read post #20. Leave the front cross bar as far forward as you can and leave the rear cross bar where it is. Make sure the thicker side of the bars point forward.

My glass guy recommended a slightly different gasket across the top of the windshield. It's identical to OEM except the top of the gasket extends about 3/8" more toward the rear. Ask your local dealer who does their glass replacement and call that person and ask. What does the DOT label say in the lower front corner (could be left or right side) of the windshield?

Old 07-23-18, 08:16 PM
Bhebert449
Driver School Candidate

The DOT label says DOT 459. Here are a few pics. I looked at the gasket where the windshield meets the roof. It appears to be a bit irregular. Also what about the trim on the roof above the door. Is there supposed to be a gap there? It is the same on both sides.
Old 07-23-18, 08:37 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

The DOT label says DOT 459. Here are a few pics. I looked at the gasket where the windshield meets the roof. It appears to be a bit irregular. Also what about the trim on the roof above the door. Is there supposed to be a gap there? It is the same on both sides.
The molding on the sides of the ws that extend onto the top about 6-8 inches should have NO gaps. The last ws install was in my driveway by the guy that does most of the high-end cars and trucks (Land Cruiser, LX, MBZ, Porsche, etc.) locally. He spent a lot of time pre-bending those moldings to have a perfect curve and lay flat against the roof. If yours are proud of the roof by a little, you can try a bit of silicone gasket sealer to keep them down. Clean the roof area and underside of the molding as best you can with a gentle solvent like naphtha (aka Coleman fuel or lighter fluid), apply silicone to the molding, push it against the roof and tape it in place...I'd suggest gaffer's vs duct tape as it leaves little if any residue when you pull it off. Install it early in the morning and let it bake in the sun for a full day. Remove the tape and you are good to go.

hth
Old 07-23-18, 09:21 PM
Bhebert449
Driver School Candidate

The molding on the sides of the ws that extend onto the top about 6-8 inches should have NO gaps. The last ws install was in my driveway by the guy that does most of the high-end cars and trucks (Land Cruiser, LX, MBZ, Porsche, etc.) locally. He spent a lot of time pre-bending those moldings to have a perfect curve and lay flat against the roof. If yours are proud of the roof by a little, you can try a bit of silicone gasket sealer to keep them down. Clean the roof area and underside of the molding as best you can with a gentle solvent like naphtha (aka Coleman fuel or lighter fluid), apply silicone to the molding, push it against the roof and tape it in place...I'd suggest gaffer's vs duct tape as it leaves little if any residue when you pull it off. Install it early in the morning and let it bake in the sun for a full day. Remove the tape and you are good to go.

hth
thank you for the tip. The vehicle is still under the 50k factory warranty. Will the dealer address this? With regard to the molding,I was referring to how it just stops about 6 to 8 inches from the top of the windshield and there is a space there with no molding.
Old 07-23-18, 10:09 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

thank you for the tip. The vehicle is still under the 50k factory warranty. Will the dealer address this? With regard to the molding,I was referring to how it just stops about 6 to 8 inches from the top of the windshield and there is a space there with no molding.
I'd guess dealer's service manager will address it with whomever does their...I've never seen a dealer with a captive glass operation in the service area...too much of a specialty.

Quick Reply: LX570 2015 Wind whistling