LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Warranty Issue - Lexus Vs. Dealer Finger-pointing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 11:06 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Warranty Issue - Lexus Vs. Dealer Finger-pointing

I called the dealer and told them the brakes wobble, with 70% remaining on the pads, and that I know pads are not covered, and this appears to be a rotor issue. The dealer asked for my mileage and said if it was under 20k miles, they could cover it, otherwise it is part of the brakes and not covered.

The detailed warranty docs exclude "pads and liners", not discs or rotors.

In a three-way call between Lexus customer support and the warranty dept of Lexus, the warranty department said they were the extended warranty dept and this was a new car warranty issue, and that Lexus customer support would need to handle as it is not an extended warranty covered item.

Lexus said..."you heard them....not covered"..... I said, I am not making a claim under "extended' as my car is still well covered by new car warranty. Then silence. Then, "you should go to a different dealer as they have the right to refuse service". I reminded them, they can refuse me all they want for regular service, but that I had a new car warranty issue. That this is a Lexus problem, as the dealer is being selective as to what is and what is not a warranty matter. And since warranty claims are reimbursed by Lexus, it would have to be Lexus who instructs the dealer to complete the work.

I am happy to be wrong, but no where does it say the rotors are covered to 20k miles. No where are rotors and discs excluded.

My Mercedes and BMW dealer have never in the last 25 years pulled anything remotely as egregious as this.

They opened a "case". Will provide an update as to the resolution.

Last edited by MattBianco; 06-02-16 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 12:45 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Crappy service and the run around.... hope they come through, try for a supervisor.
Old 06-02-16, 12:47 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

They should not be telling you to go to another dealer.
Old 06-02-16, 01:06 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Originally Posted by Chocolate
They should not be telling you to go to another dealer.
Agreed. That was ludicrous, considering I had told them this is for the original warranty, not extended.
Old 06-02-16, 09:31 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Care to out the dealer??
Old 06-02-16, 09:48 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Originally Posted by hankinid
Care to out the dealer??
Not yet.....let's see how Lexus handles the "case". But, given my location, I think it might take someone 20 seconds to figure it out.
Old 06-02-16, 10:09 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I can't believe this is happening.

Originally Posted by MattBianco
Agreed. That was ludicrous, considering I had told them this is for the original warranty, not extended.
Old 06-05-16, 08:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Such an expensive vehicle and such brutal service. They should cover it.
Old 06-06-16, 09:48 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Lexus says if the dealer offered to replace the rotors/discs, it would be a courtesy move, and not one they are required to honor under warranty. They consider rotors to be wear and tear (technically, the whole car is wear and tear but rotors are to last through several brake pad changes in my experience), and they will not honor any warranty for rotors. They have promised to send something in writing that explicitly states this, as the warranty document that come with the car only excludes "brake pads/linings, and clutch linings" (pg. 20).
Old 06-06-16, 11:57 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Here is an update, after dropping the car off today:

- They will diagnose but won't cover the wobbly brakes. Lexus has yet to send a written document saying discs/rotors are no not covered, as they promised

- I have steam build up behind the fog lights. I had to provide proof. Fortunately, I had taken a picture of one of them with the steam behind the lens. The dealer's response: "we need another picture for the other side". My advise video/photo everything or they won't cover

- My USB music player fails to show album/artist list for up to 20 minutes after starting the car, and then at times the ability to select goes away. The first technician today said, it is not supposed to show that info. I sat there until tit did, and then not again to prove the point. The software update I was told does not exist, another advisor said exists after showing them the behavior of the USB player connection.

- The driver side seat does not blow air from the bottom cushion. I was told "they don't blow a lot of air you know", to which I replied, how come the passenger side does?

It is really frustrating to deal with Lexus and its dealers. They completely failed to incorporate even the remotest elements of Japanese service (I've lived in Japan), which is arguably the best service in the world . The senior advisors are fairly knowledgeable and the junior staff is suited for "would you like fries with that" kind of service.

Lexus makes make one suffer through a lot of technology and service shortcomings because they give you a mechanically reliable product.

Lastly, they were not even aware of the list of dealer-set comfort choices in the attached pdf. I want some settings changed.

13-LX-Customer.pdf
Old 06-06-16, 12:46 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

You might be having a tough time but I have never had any problems with Lexus service and in fact they have always bent over backwards to make me happy.

You either have a very poor dealer or you have pissed them off to the point they no longer want to deal with you.
Old 06-06-16, 01:04 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
You either have a very poor dealer or you have pissed them off to the point they no longer want to deal with you.
That would be odd, considering I have only been there one other time, and paid nearly $300 to have them program new TPMS for my winter tires (serial numbers in hand, and tired did not need to be removed from the rims)....and I was thankful as I had no time and it was a walk-in request. And, to show my thanks I had them put $250 worth of over-priced weather-guard floor matts.
Old 06-06-16, 06:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I'd pick a very poor dealer. Whether or not the dealer is pissed is immaterial...dealers sell service, before and after the purchase. Dealer should **** and act like a dealer.

That would be odd, considering I have only been there one other time, and paid nearly $300 to have them program new TPMS for my winter tires (serial numbers in hand, and tired did not need to be removed from the rims)....and I was thankful as I had no time and it was a walk-in request. And, to show my thanks I had them put $250 worth of over-priced weather-guard floor matts.
Iirc, the NW regional service guy is in PDX...at least for me up here in Idaho. A call to Lexus customer service will give you a name / number of the person covering NorCal. Region guys are amazingly skilled in cutting through bovine excrement.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-16, 06:20 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Between what you've shared and the $ figure above for TPMS reprogramming, which is obscene and absurd, I second others' thoughts that your problem is the dealership. Like Greg, I have been very satisfied with my Lexus service experience, spanning multiple vehicles.
Old 06-06-16, 09:59 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

$$$$ for TMPS PROGRAMMING???

When I went to Tire America to get 4 new tires on my RX450H recently, they changed out the rubber stems and mount and balanced all 4 tires. PLUS REPROGRAMMED ALL TMPS FOR next to nothing. I think it was like $8 per tire for the new rubber stems and TMPS reprogramming. Plus I got a great deal on the tires, which was a bit lower than Tire Rack.

Originally Posted by caha14
Between what you've shared and the $ figure above for TPMS reprogramming, which is obscene and absurd, I second others' thoughts that your problem is the dealership. Like Greg, I have been very satisfied with my Lexus service experience, spanning multiple vehicles.

Quick Reply: Warranty Issue - Lexus Vs. Dealer Finger-pointing