opinions on warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 03:18 PM
teamtlr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on warranty

Hi All!
New owner of a 2013 LX570 w/44K on it. Of course the finance guy calls me and tells me I have until 2019 since its L/Certified until the current warranty expires. He asked me if I wanted the add'l coverage for 2250$ up to 6 years with more years obviously more $. Thoughts, opinions, waste of $ or worth it?

Thank you!

Last edited by teamtlr; 03-24-16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 05:12 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by teamtlr
Hi All!
New owner of a 2013 LX570 w/44K on it. Of course the finance guy calls me and tells me I have until 2019 since its L/Certified until the current warranty expires. Hes asked me if I wanted the add'l coverage for 2250$ up to 6 years with more years obviously more $. Thoughts, opinions, waste of $ or worth it?

Thank you!
The wonderful thing about extended warranties is that they cover your tail if something goes TU after the CPO warranty dies.

The other wonderful thing is that dealers make a ton of money from extended warranties. The insurance company's already analyzed the inherent reliability and lack of repairs needed for the LX and Land Cruiser...

They wouldn't hard-sell the warranty unless it was to their advantage, not to your advantage.

I had the same offer made a few months ago on a '13 Cruiser. The F&I guy started at $4200 and dropped the price by $500 every time I said no thanks. After the third "no", I told the guy that if my not wanting the insurance was an issue, I could get a cab to the airport and fly home. At that point I gave him a check, he gave me a bill of sale, and I drove home in the LC.

ETA...Your odds are far better in not needing a major repair v. needing one. Look at it as a simple cost / benefit analysis...in actuality, I think you're probably paying for extended warranty others have on less reliable cars...those with healthy cars pay for those with less reliable vehicles. Reminds me of my health insurance plan.

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 03-24-16 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 06:02 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi All!
New owner of a 2013 LX570 w/44K on it. Of course the finance guy calls me and tells me I have until 2019 since its L/Certified until the current warranty expires. Hes asked me if I wanted the add'l coverage for 2250$ up to 6 years with more years obviously more $. Thoughts, opinions, waste of $ or worth it?

Thank you!

Why not? If the extra peace of mind is worth $2250 to you, then go ahead and do it. If it isn't and you'd rather flip a coin based on the LX 570's reliability record, then don't.
Old 03-24-16, 06:16 PM
teamtlr
Driver School Candidate

why not, i guess it the point they are taking more of my $ when its not needed since this is one of the most reliable vehicles out there. thx agn!
Old 03-24-16, 07:58 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

why not, i guess it the point they are taking more of my $ when its not needed since this is one of the most reliable vehicles out there. thx agn!
You are welcome. It's not that I'm anti-insurance (other than maybe full-life)...If I were buying any German car or any British car nearing the end of it's warranty, I'd bite hard on an extended warranty.

And that simply takes me back to the main reason I own an LX and a Cruiser...I enjoy working on my vehicles, but "unscheduled" maintenance is a PITA. I get enough of that now helping neighbors with ancient farm machinery.

Steve
Old 04-06-16, 08:34 PM
Superbeast
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll never NOT get one again.

I rolled the dice on the Toyota/Lexus reputation. I bought a 2011 LX back in November of last year and turned down the warranty.

I found out today I'm looking at $3000-$9700 to fix a nav/radio touchscreen issue, depending on what ends up being the problem.

I'm kicking myself for not spending the money on a warranty.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-07-16, 06:06 AM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Superbeast
I'll never NOT get one again.

I rolled the dice on the Toyota/Lexus reputation. I bought a 2011 LX back in November of last year and turned down the warranty.

I found out today I'm looking at $3000-$9700 to fix a nav/radio touchscreen issue, depending on what ends up being the problem.

I'm kicking myself for not spending the money on a warranty.

Good luck with your decision.
What exactly is wrong with your infotainment system? There are services out there that you can mail the unit to and they will fix it for a lot cheaper. Going to the dealer and having them just replace all the parts is usually not the best option for nav system repairs. Alternatively if it is an issue with the nav computer it is a lot cheaper to find those on eBay etc...I think it is a $5000+ part at the dealer.
Old 04-07-16, 07:46 AM
teamtlr
Driver School Candidate

If its that much, then I can do w/out since my iphone serves the same purpose or functions. Thanks for the info. malba!
Old 04-07-16, 11:50 AM
JDJackson
Driver

If you do go for the warranty, READ it thoroughly!!! and think through all of the stuff that can go wrong, but still will not be covered.

With that said, I purchased one with my LC purchase back in '03... the captains chair which was replaced because the lumbar support did not operate covered my expense, plus.
Old 04-08-16, 10:54 PM
Superbeast
Rookie

Originally Posted by malba2366
What exactly is wrong with your infotainment system? There are services out there that you can mail the unit to and they will fix it for a lot cheaper. Going to the dealer and having them just replace all the parts is usually not the best option for nav system repairs. Alternatively if it is an issue with the nav computer it is a lot cheaper to find those on eBay etc...I think it is a $5000+ part at the dealer.
Intermittent problems with the radio, sometimes it wont come on unless you turn the truck completely off then restart.

Intermittent problems with the touch screen.

Intermittent problems with vehicle customization options.

Intermittent problems with setup options.

Believe me, I'm a wrench turner, I've built hotrods for 2 decades. I currently have an almost 30 year old Mustang I play with in my spare time. If I thought it was as simple as slapping in a new part, I'd be all over it.

They've had it for several days now, and even the shop foreman has never seen this, and is stumped. They're going to try to find another used LX of similar year to start swapping modules and parts to see if the problem follows to the other vehicle to isolate the bad component.

They tried a hard reset of the computer and updated software, and neither fixed it.

We'll see what they come up with....
Old 04-08-16, 10:57 PM
Superbeast
Rookie

If its that much, then I can do w/out since my iphone serves the same purpose or functions. Thanks for the info. malba!
You do realize that the touch screen controls a lot more than the radio and the nav, right?

I'd be interested to know what app you're gonna use to control your AC and heat, vehicle customization options, setup options, and the zillion other things that are controlled via the touch screen!

LOL

Last edited by Superbeast; 04-08-16 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-10-16, 09:20 AM
ImAllIynn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Correct

Originally Posted by hankinid
The wonderful thing about extended warranties is that they cover your tail if something goes TU after the CPO warranty dies.

The other wonderful thing is that dealers make a ton of money from extended warranties. The insurance company's already analyzed the inherent reliability and lack of repairs needed for the LX and Land Cruiser...

They wouldn't hard-sell the warranty unless it was to their advantage, not to your advantage.

I had the same offer made a few months ago on a '13 Cruiser. The F&I guy started at $4200 and dropped the price by $500 every time I said no thanks. After the third "no", I told the guy that if my not wanting the insurance was an issue, I could get a cab to the airport and fly home. At that point I gave him a check, he gave me a bill of sale, and I drove home in the LC.

ETA...Your odds are far better in not needing a major repair v. needing one. Look at it as a simple cost / benefit analysis...in actuality, I think you're probably paying for extended warranty others have on less reliable cars...those with healthy cars pay for those with less reliable vehicles. Reminds me of my health insurance plan.

Steve
You're comments above are absolutely spot-on, except for (1) small detail. The insurance companies have the luxury of leveraging the laws of average on their side. For this to work, they need to sell as many policies as possible.

Since I only bought (1) LX, I also purchased the Lexus Extended Coverage. The odds of a failure costing as much as the policy are much higher on (1) vehicle than a similar group.

As an aside, I would neve purchase a policy thru a 3rd party vendor.

My $.02.
Old 04-10-16, 11:21 AM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Superbeast
Intermittent problems with the radio, sometimes it wont come on unless you turn the truck completely off then restart.

Intermittent problems with the touch screen.

Intermittent problems with vehicle customization options.

Intermittent problems with setup options.

Believe me, I'm a wrench turner, I've built hotrods for 2 decades. I currently have an almost 30 year old Mustang I play with in my spare time. If I thought it was as simple as slapping in a new part, I'd be all over it.

They've had it for several days now, and even the shop foreman has never seen this, and is stumped. They're going to try to find another used LX of similar year to start swapping modules and parts to see if the problem follows to the other vehicle to isolate the bad component.

They tried a hard reset of the computer and updated software, and neither fixed it.

We'll see what they come up with....

If your dealer can not figure it out, give these guys a call. They fixed my friends Mercedes Nav system for the fraction of a cost of buying a new one from the dealer. They told him that if they couldn't fix it there would be no charge besides the cost of shipping the nav system back to him...not too much to lose considering the alternative.
http://www.***********.com
Old 04-30-16, 03:14 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

These days with the NAV touch screen controllING multiple complex things ........ things will go wrong. It is just a matter of time. The longer you keep the vehicle, the more likely something wrong will happen. When it does, you can bet it will cost likely the price of the policy or more. Also back in the day of easy swaps of components are over. These days of anti -thief measures, the components probably will need to be "married " to the car in order for it to work. Rather complicated.

Originally Posted by ImAllIynn
You're comments above are absolutely spot-on, except for (1) small detail. The insurance companies have the luxury of leveraging the laws of average on their side. For this to work, they need to sell as many policies as possible.

Since I only bought (1) LX, I also purchased the Lexus Extended Coverage. The odds of a failure costing as much as the policy are much higher on (1) vehicle than a similar group.

As an aside, I would neve purchase a policy thru a 3rd party vendor.

My $.02.
Old 04-30-16, 11:32 AM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Buy warranty for piece of mind but dont' expect for it to cover everything.

Quick Reply: opinions on warranty