2008 LX 570 91K Miles 32k

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 09:44 AM
lc200fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LX 570 91K Miles 32k

hi,
i am hoping that someone could post some advice regarding the purchase of this particular vehicle.

i know that lc200s last for ever and 91k miles isnt that bid of a deal. i did basic research online and find that the 32k dealer asking price is somewhat fair. the vehicle as such has no mechanical or electrical issues (as expected). couple of silly things related to sunglass holder latch and dvd ent. latch not working.

i only have slight reservations with regards to age and mileage due to the fact that i would be trading in a 2013 honda pilot with 36k miles for this one. to an average person who does not know much about lc200, it may seems like a silly decision.

i test drove the vehicle and it was as expected. the vehicle although will be driven in city as a grocery getter and to haul kids around but i am mainly purchasing it so i can begin taking it offroad (not extreme) from time to time. basically i am buying this vehicles as a go anywhere vehicle and for the reasons that the LC200 was intended/designed for.

also perhaps if someone could tell me what to ask of the dealer or what to check or look for this particular mileage lx 570 in terms of any scheduled maintenance that either should have been performed or expected to be performed in the near future.

i am primarily trying to rationalize spending 32k on a vehicle that has 91k miles on it.

i got hold of the auction data for this vehicle and the dealer paid 29800 for the vehicle.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-16, 11:02 AM
drich2905
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI- this vehicle is in the correct mileage to need a big service at 90-100K miles of replacing the timing belt + water pump since you are in there already. If you decide to buy the vehicle try to negotiate on that point at well.

I am sure someone will chime in with more specifics on this but just wanted to post something quick.
Old 03-16-16, 12:57 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lc200fan
hi,
i am hoping that someone could post some advice regarding the purchase of this particular vehicle.

i only have slight reservations with regards to age and mileage due to the fact that i would be trading in a 2013 honda pilot with 36k miles for this one. to an average person who does not know much about lc200, it may seems like a silly decision.

i test drove the vehicle and it was as expected. the vehicle although will be driven in city as a grocery getter and to haul kids around but i am mainly purchasing it so i can begin taking it offroad (not extreme) from time to time. basically i am buying this vehicles as a go anywhere vehicle and for the reasons that the LC200 was intended/designed for.

also perhaps if someone could tell me what to ask of the dealer or what to check or look for this particular mileage lx 570 in terms of any scheduled maintenance that either should have been performed or expected to be performed in the near future.

i am primarily trying to rationalize spending 32k on a vehicle that has 91k miles on it.

i got hold of the auction data for this vehicle and the dealer paid 29800 for the vehicle.

thanks in advance.
Don't worry about what average people think...they're all in Escalades and Land Rovers praying they'll still be in warranty when they break down.

If you have the VIN, you can go to the owners section of lexus.com and set yourself up with a user name and password. Once you're done with that, you can input the VIN and view and / or print a record of all services done at a Lexus or Toyota dealer since the truck was first delivered. It will also note any scheduled services that were declined by the previous owner(s). Or, just tell the dealer you need a copy of the records and they can do it for you.

Items scheduled and often overlooked by Lexus and Toyota techs is changing (flushing) the AHC (automatic height control) fluid. Iirc, service interval is 60K...I do mine at half that since you can diy it in half an hour, it's not messy, the fluid is cheap. AHC failures out of warranty are not inexpensive.

Another item is greasing both front and rear driveshafts. Each has 2 u-joints and 1 slip joint. Another 5 minute job, once you drop the skid plates. And that brings up having dealer put truck on lift and remove all skid plates. You get under the truck with a good light and look for rust...just like any other truck. Especially necessary on the east coast and north central areas.

I rationalized ~ $50K on a truck with 40K...it's all relative and you'll love it the more you drive it.

Originally Posted by drich2905
FYI- this vehicle is in the correct mileage to need a big service at 90-100K miles of replacing the timing belt + water pump since you are in there already. If you decide to buy the vehicle try to negotiate on that point at well.

I am sure someone will chime in with more specifics on this but just wanted to post something quick.
Uh...

200-series Toyota trucks do NOT have timing belts. Instead, they use chains. That assumes you're talking about a U.S. market truck. 200's going to Europe and the Middle east may have 4.7l engines, which do need a belt / water pump / etc. at 90K

Steve
Old 03-16-16, 01:07 PM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LX 570 has a timing chain, not a timing belt. No need to replace, ever (unless it breaks, of course). Their price seems a bit high to me. That is about what my dealer offered me as a trade in on an new 2016 570. My 2008 LX570 has only 62000 miles. I decided to keep it and forego the big grill (and that deluxe interior). Check the service records for regular dealer servicing. My water pump was replaced under a TSO. I have been very happy with my 2008 LX, btw. Not many for sale with under 100K miles, I would think.
Old 03-16-16, 01:41 PM
lc200fan
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys for your input.

i am hoping that the dealer can come down on the price. but true, not many available under 100k. tells me that people who purchase these are in it for the long haul. this platform ages well, its one of the reasons why i want ot buy this vs say a gx or 4runner. i dont want to change the vehicle for at least 5 years, may be more.

i am hoping that dealer can come down to 30k. i got a hold of dealer auction data and they paid 29800 at auction. they have been sitting on this vehicle for close to 2 months.

thanks again for your input.
Old 03-16-16, 02:18 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Price seems good, but I would shop more. Look at eBay motors, autotrader, and a site called "search tempest" where you can search multipole craigslist locations. Especially useful if you want to search all of Texas for instance.

When did they buy it in auction at that price?

Texas is the best source for LX -more there than anywhere else....you are in the right market.
Old 03-16-16, 03:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattBianco
Price seems good, but I would shop more. Look at eBay motors, autotrader, and a site called "search tempest" where you can search multipole craigslist locations. Especially useful if you want to search all of Texas for instance.

When did they buy it in auction at that price?

Texas is the best source for LX -more there than anywhere else....you are in the right market.
Matt is correct.

I'm in the boonies south of Boise, and I began looking for my 200 last June. I checked car.com, eBay, ih8mud.com classifieds, auto trader, and Craigslist from Seattle over to Montana, and down to the SF bay area, Reno, Las Vegas, and the greater DFW area.

The perfect Cruiser appeared at a dealer in Spokane, WA. I negotiated over the phone and dealer met my offer, sales guy got a sales "manager" to commit, and sent me a confirming email. I arrived the next morning on Southwest, was driven to the dealer, picked up a bank check, and drove the truck home. The only tiny burp in the process was telling the F&I guy about 6 times that I did not want anything to do with a long-term warranty. I drove the truck home that afternoon...

If you miss one, be patient.

Steve
Old 03-16-16, 07:10 PM
lc200fan
Driver School Candidate

wow, i have considered looking elsewhere i.e. outside of texas and do what you did Steve but man does that sounds risky i.e not having looked at the vehicle in person before committing to it. i did that once with a ducati and regretted it. but i suppose with LC/LX as long as the pictures are detailed and carfax lists maintenance details then i suppose one can take a leap of faith like you did.

agreed, will try other sites esp. search tempest, might even expand my search radius. i just hate to burn precious vacation time on vehicle hunting i.e. flying out/driving back. but i guess if you are getting a deal then perhaps its worth the extra effort.

hammad.
Old 03-16-16, 09:18 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lc200fan
wow, i have considered looking elsewhere i.e. outside of texas and do what you did Steve but man does that sounds risky i.e not having looked at the vehicle in person before committing to it. i did that once with a ducati and regretted it. but i suppose with LC/LX as long as the pictures are detailed and carfax lists maintenance details then i suppose one can take a leap of faith like you did.

agreed, will try other sites esp. search tempest, might even expand my search radius. i just hate to burn precious vacation time on vehicle hunting i.e. flying out/driving back. but i guess if you are getting a deal then perhaps its worth the extra effort.

hammad.
Hammed, I had dealer send pics of the underside, both with the skid plates (no scratches) and without (no mud underneath, zero rust, no leaks. The Alaska Air ticket was $65. VIN indicated truck was sold initially and maintained up to a month before I bought it by Lexus of Kalispell service was regular and as recommended. I picked it up from Spokane Porsche / Audi just across the border in WA.

I'd looked at an '11 LX at local Toyota store prior to finding the Cruiser. Mileage 40K, no premium package (console cooler, etc.). and dealer was asking $55K and would not budge off that number.
Maintenance was good but I found that it seemed to ride like a Chris Craft if I tended to push her hard into or out of corners...not even close to the handling on my '01 LX.

I'll leave you with what the sales guy told me when I passed..."Remember, these aren't Corollas...if you find one you like, you need to hop on it asap."

I had a 350 Desmo Ducati a long time ago...I hear what you're saying.

Good luck in your search.

Steve
Old 03-21-16, 08:49 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

really depends on the actual condition of the car, is it has been kept clean, how is the interior ?- I would not mind paying 2-3 k more if the car is cleaner. I have seen cars at 25k and the interior has about 100 k miles in them. Some people dont condition the leather, dont wax and clean.. etc dont care about anything just drive their cars.
Old 03-21-16, 11:34 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
I'd looked at an '11 LX at local Toyota store prior to finding the Cruiser. Mileage 40K, no premium package (console cooler, etc.). and dealer was asking $55K and would not budge off that number.
Maintenance was good but I found that it seemed to ride like a Chris Craft if I tended to push her hard into or out of corners...not even close to the handling on my '01 LX.
I didn't understand the "Chris Craft" reference. Can you explain?
Old 03-21-16, 11:39 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Matsui
I didn't understand the "Chris Craft" reference. Can you explain?
Chris Craft has been making beautiful boats for a very long time. They do tend, obviously, to drive and handle like boats...

Old 03-23-16, 11:10 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Scumbag Hudiburg Toyota Scion has a nice water damaged 2014 Land Cruiser for the low, low price of 56,884.
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal...5D%5D%5B%5D%5D
And they Certified it.
They are truly scum of the earth.
Old 03-23-16, 11:14 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by hankinid
Hammed, I had dealer send pics of the underside, both with the skid plates (no scratches) and without (no mud underneath, zero rust, no leaks. The Alaska Air ticket was $65. VIN indicated truck was sold initially and maintained up to a month before I bought it by Lexus of Kalispell service was regular and as recommended. I picked it up from Spokane Porsche / Audi just across the border in WA.

I'll leave you with what the sales guy told me when I passed..."Remember, these aren't Corollas...if you find one you like, you need to hop on it asap."

I had a 350 Desmo Ducati a long time ago...I hear what you're saying.

Good luck in your search.

Steve
That's sage advice right there. Have to check diligently for any sign of water damage, smell of mildew, or cleaning products.
Old 03-23-16, 11:17 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

The Carfax from the reputable gentlemen at Hudiburg Toyota didn't show the water damage until 1/29/16.