LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Replace rear hatch struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 01:49 AM
Bhprince
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace rear hatch struts

Anybody replace their rear hatch struts? Mine don't raise the hatch all the way up and sometimes hit my head so would like to replace struts. Any aftermarket that will work? Thanks for the reply
Old 03-12-16, 01:29 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What year is your car? Do you mean it don't open high enough? I remember some car can memorize the opening height to a custom setting
Old 03-13-16, 07:48 AM
Bhprince
Driver School Candidate

2010 LX 570, Yes, not high enough, have to manually push up to fully open....Thanks for reply
Old 03-13-16, 03:44 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
What year is your car? Do you mean it don't open high enough? I remember some car can memorize the opening height to a custom setting
The LX doesn't have adustabilty there...after a while, the gas struts simply get tired.

Originally Posted by Bhprince
2010 LX 570, Yes, not high enough, have to manually push up to fully open....Thanks for reply
Simple answer...a guy named Mr, Lou started liftsupportsdepot.com . The website has a selector you can plug your make / model / year into and go directly to hood or rear window parts. Service is quick, the struts will make a major difference, as you will see. Mr. Lou has been serving the LX and Land Cruiser community on mud for years.

It took all of 20 minutes to replace front and rear on my series 100 LX.

hth

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 03-20-16 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-15-16, 01:36 PM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking that I will be needing to do this with my 2010 soon too... It does not surprise me. I had to on my 100 series at about 100K miles, and I am getting closer to that mark everyday!
Old 03-15-16, 03:48 PM
Bhprince
Driver School Candidate

Couldn't find struts for my 2010 LX at Lifts support depot so I called them, no struts, problem is the amount of gas pressure in strut for the power lift gate. Too little and it won't raise all the way and too much and it will hinder motor to close hatch. OEM looks like $150 +
Old 03-19-16, 12:03 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default LX rear liftgate Struts

I had to replace my rear liftgate struts on my 2010 LX-570 at about 6 years/120,000 miles.
Same problem, rear lift gate wouldn't rise high enough. I did it at the dealer since it became urgent and I could not wait. Cost was about $500 including parts and labor.
Old 03-19-16, 04:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Couldn't find struts for my 2010 LX at Lifts support depot so I called them, no struts, problem is the amount of gas pressure in strut for the power lift gate. Too little and it won't raise all the way and too much and it will hinder motor to close hatch. OEM looks like $150 +
Is the $150 per side or for both struts?

Steve
Old 03-19-16, 07:32 PM
Bhprince
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
Is the $150 per side or for both struts?

Steve
Yes, per side, but would hate to pop the $300 and that not be the problem. I'm getting use to it, just help it to max height, but would hate for someone to hit their head on the corner of hatch.
Old 03-20-16, 03:36 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Yes, per side, but would hate to pop the $300 and that not be the problem. I'm getting use to it, just help it to max height, but would hate for someone to hit their head on the corner of hatch.
Yikes...Lift Support Depot had the front's on a 2-for-1 deal, so with shipping I was just under $100...but that's for darling's '01 LX. You might go online to websites showing parts diagrams for Cruisers and LX's...if pn's are the same, you may save a bit by ordering from a Toyota v. Lexus dealer.

R&R is stupid-simple, though you'll need helper to support either end once you start removing struts...I used a high-tech piece of wood closet rod I had hanging around. Labor time is around 5 minutes per corner. A little dielectric grease or NAPA SilGlyde on the ball joints help installation.

If it's going up easily part way, and then needing a push upwards to get it open all the way, your issue IS the struts. Wife's LX bad a major issue with the hood struts, they began sagging and I avoided the hood dropping on my head a couple of times. Rear window had same issue, but hadn't yet begun dropping by itself. As I've posted, new struts took care of the issue.

Another symptom of struts gone or going TU is that they'll work better in warm weather than in cold...less pressure on the N2 when it's cooler.

Steve
Old 03-20-16, 09:03 PM
Bhprince
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone replaced rear struts on a 2010 LX with power lift gate?
Old 03-23-16, 07:49 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Shame....My R500 and X5 both have adjustments for the height which I have used to avoid hitting the rolled-up garage door when opening inside the garage. This one, I agree, is too low with no adjustment. It would seem to easy to fix this by simply replacing the struts (at least with OEM).
Old 01-26-20, 10:03 AM
mrhenry123
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi guys -

i ordered some new rear struts from liftsupportdepot.

how to you remove the top triangular piece that is bolted to the hatch ? it looks like the bolts are recessed and cannot unscrew all the way.

Old 01-26-20, 12:48 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhenry123
hi guys -

i ordered some new rear struts from liftsupportdepot.

how to you remove the top triangular piece that is bolted to the hatch ? it looks like the bolts are recessed and cannot unscrew all the way.
You have to remove the rubber trim that is over them. It's kind of a pain and there is a pointless clip that you will most likely break.
You can try pushing it out of the way, but it is easier to remove a few of the screws holding it in.
Old 01-26-20, 08:10 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

I had my MY15 replaced rear hatch struts around 50k. I need to open / close the hatch 4-8x a day... I tried to use the electronic open and close function hoping to prolong the struts' life... but my vehicle still has 5yrs till warranty / ext warranty expires...so not too worry for now if they need to be replaced again.

Quick Reply: Replace rear hatch struts