LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

AHC sensor "lift" adjustment procedure

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 12:25 PM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AHC sensor "lift" adjustment procedure

Has anyone found a procedure for adjusting the AHC sensors to provide a small lift? I am looking to fit 33" tires on mine and want to give them a little extra room.
Thanks!
Old 03-08-16, 02:34 PM
ellags430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also very interested in any insight anyone here can give on this!
Old 03-12-16, 01:20 PM
georgeore
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the 200 series forum on the IH8MUD site. I recall someone there going over the steps.
Old 03-13-16, 07:25 PM
ellags430
Rookie

OK sweet, ill head over there for a look, thanks mate
Old 03-14-16, 06:24 AM
JDJackson
Driver

I'm on the MUD... it may have been me asking because I did search and did not find anything. I found a ton on the 470 (100 series) though.
Old 03-14-16, 09:12 AM
georgeore
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the members, Crazy1323, mentioned he adjusted the AHC in this thread:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/can-...wheels.823864/

I posted asking for the steps taken. He made it sound easy.
Old 03-14-16, 09:24 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Yeah, I had posted in that thread several times. (LCHardriver_02)

Post 24 indicates he adjusted his... would love that step by step, if we can get it. You can see my posts in #48... 49... 59.
Old 03-14-16, 03:13 PM
ellags430
Rookie

*shakes fist* reply damnit haha now i want to see too
Old 04-07-16, 07:41 AM
JDJackson
Driver

(First off, I apologize for the long post.)
This week I tried adjusting the AHC sensors to see what effect the adjust might have and this is what I found...

First off, the adjustment itself (1 10mm bolt per corner) was extremely simple. Devastatingly simple...

What I did not realize prior to "playing" with the settings is how much software goes into this adjustment, as well as physical hardware adjustments and just how much the entire wheel alignment plays into these little settings.

To give you an idea, please read the following entire thread within the 100 series on IH8MUD:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ahc-...s-help.485138/

Even though this thread is aimed at the LX-470, it speaks directly to the LX-570 as well regarding software modifications needed to complete the overall adjustment.

Since I did not find this thread until after I started adjusting the sensors, I did not know what to expect. Here is an idea of what happened when we put the truck up on a lift and started adjusting the sensor positions. Please note that the adjustment on each corner is only about 1/2 an inch of travel.
I apologize, but I did not retain the initial measurements between the fender and the hub, so I cannot give those explicitly.

Each time we adjusted the settings, we would start in Normal position, with the truck OFF.
We first started adjusting the fronts (both sides about equally) to see if we could raise the front up to get rid of some of the “stink bug” look the truck has, so we moved the sensor positions all of the way down, thinking that it would move the front up. It did, but not equally. The passenger’s side (right hand side) was always lower than the driver’s side, with the sensors at the same point in the range. We were able to get the front to move up about an inch of actual travel.

We noticed that the back driver’s side was maxed out already and did not play with it, focusing on the front.

We moved the sensors back to mid-range, but the front did not move back to the original starting spot, it stayed up by about 3/4 of an inch.
We tried moving them again, but the physical movement never seemed to match how much we adjusted the sensors, so we put them back to where the original spot was and I drove home.

Once home, I re-measured the fronts, noticing that the passenger side was now sagging about 5/8 of an inch and was thinking that I could at least get that side to even back out, so I raised JUST the right hand front sensor… Raised the truck to HIGH… and it would not go back down… at all. I tried then driving it to see if it would automatically lower to NORMAL… it did not, but now it was WAY pulling to the right. The “L” on the steering when was laying on its side to keep the truck straight. I went home and shut the truck off and restarted it and it thought it was in NORMAL, but the truck was still WAY high. I tried lowering it and it would not lower again. I then put the sensor back to the original spot and started stopped the engine. No dice. I then pulled the positive terminal on the battery to try to reset the electronics, knowing it was an electronics issue. The truck did allow it to move lower, but not as low as LOW position and NOW my Entry setting has NO EFFECT! This is when I gave up and started reading….

It seems that there is a very specific procedure for any movement in these sensor settings. I do not have the hardware (computer module) or software to access this, as described within the link above. I am now purchasing my new tires for my Tundra wheels and then having my certified tech re-adjust the AHC system, the headlights (this setting is affected too), and a re-alignment. Because of this, I am now thinking of sticking with 32” or 32.5” tires instead of 33s to make sure that they do not rub.
Old 04-07-16, 07:44 AM
JDJackson
Driver

As a follow on to the above post, I did find that the sensor adjustment is really meant for bound and rebound adjustment, coordinating directly with the springs and shocks. I am now thinking that you would need a coordinated NEW set of actuators and springs to effectively give the LX a lift... even a small one.
Old 04-07-16, 04:36 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

"paddo" on mud seems to be the resident expert on AHC...I'd pm him and see what he thinks.

Steve