LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Tire recommendations

Old 10-14-17, 08:18 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by zink
Glad you got your tires installed and the truck repaired Max. What tire pressures are you running and what are your first impressions?
I'm running 46psi. Only need 43 psi but with 46 I won't need to adjust the air pressure during the winter here in north Florida. Love the ride and feel. These big heavy Suv's should come with truck tire's from the factory. I went with the 285/55/20 BFG for the wider tread width plus the looks of the BFG AT/KO2's
Attached Thumbnails Tire recommendations-3f4e336e-9ba4-4aee-a1ef-f8cdc3ecb24f.jpeg  

Last edited by Max707; 11-05-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 05:38 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm seriously thinking about the Terra Grappler G2s when my Defender LTXs wear out. Seems to have a nice blend of ride and a more aggressive tread pattern. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 10-14-17, 11:30 PM
mdjackson2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llcc1975
Thanks @mdjackson2. I took a couple of outdoor pictures (but not close up). Here you go.

Thanks for posting those. You have that 570 looking right!
Old 10-17-17, 05:01 AM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I run BFG KO2's on my LX470, Just put Michelin LTX Premiers on my RX. The LX570 still has stock tires from the dealer. Im watching this threat for thoughts on that one.
Old 10-17-17, 03:09 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate

I'm seriously thinking about the Terra Grappler G2s when my Defender LTXs wear out. Seems to have a nice blend of ride and a more aggressive tread pattern. Anyone have any experience with them?
I have had these on my GX for almost 3 years with 30k+ miles..
Pros: They give a very nice aggressive look, great treadwear (still look almost new), handle great in all conditions (dry, wet and snow)
Cons: kind of noisy on highway - and for this reason I will not get these in future.

I'm considering Defender LTX or Toyo Open Country for my next set of tires - will hopefully own an LX570 by that time.
Old 10-18-17, 09:09 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
I have had these on my GX for almost 3 years with 30k+ miles..
Pros: They give a very nice aggressive look, great treadwear (still look almost new), handle great in all conditions (dry, wet and snow)
Cons: kind of noisy on highway - and for this reason I will not get these in future.

I'm considering Defender LTX or Toyo Open Country for my next set of tires - will hopefully own an LX570 by that time.
Thanks. How would you say the ride is compared to the stock tires?
Old 10-19-17, 11:33 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Thanks. How would you say the ride is compared to the stock tires?
The Nittos are definitely louder than stock. I was trying to go for a more off-road type look, so definitely compromised comfort for that - not much but noticeable enough to have buyers remorse afterwards. They look great and handle well in all conditions, but I will try a different brand for sure next time for comfort.
The following users liked this post:
Chocolate (10-19-17)
Old 11-05-17, 01:36 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I’m running BFG AT/KO’2s 285/55/20 on stock Lexus rims 46 PSI I run 🏃 on sport mode. Feels great. Lexus should’ve put all terrain truck tires on these vehicles to begin with
Old 12-04-17, 07:29 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Just purchased 2016 18" Land Cruiser rims. I plan on putting 18" Michelin LTX tires (Same as Clayton W did - see his previous post). I need to get tire pressure monitoring sensors. Will the sensors Toyota sells at the Toyota dealer work on the Lexus? Or, do I need to buy the sensors from Lexus?
Also, where can I buy the Lexus center caps for this rim?
Old 12-04-17, 06:45 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashron
Just purchased 2016 18" Land Cruiser rims. I plan on putting 18" Michelin LTX tires (Same as Clayton W did - see his previous post). I need to get tire pressure monitoring sensors. Will the sensors Toyota sells at the Toyota dealer work on the Lexus? Or, do I need to buy the sensors from Lexus?
Also, where can I buy the Lexus center caps for this rim?
Good choice :-)
I bought my sensors from Lexus. But probably new generation of Toyota TPMS sensors would also work. The best solution (if you can) is using the sensors from your original OEM 21" wheels.
Just FYI, my local Toyota dealer was not able to program the sensors, I had to go to Lexus. They are usually not able to read the sensor IDs when they are mounted on the wheels. They must remove tires first. So the most important thing is writing the sensor IDs first before you mount them. If you know IDs, then everything is simple. You can for example buy ATEQ TPMS QUICKSET to do it (about $130, very useful tool if you have more Toyota/Lexus cars).
Center caps - I still have Toyota, no big deal for me. But I know that LX is sold in Russia with Land Cruiser 18" wheels so definitely, it exists and can be purchased.
Old 12-04-17, 07:29 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Do they have to "REMOVE" the entire tire out of the wheel to see the TPMS sensor? I thought they can just deflate the tire so that the tire can be pressed down to reveal the TPMS SENSOR to see it? The just reinflate the tire back up.

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
Good choice :-)
I bought my sensors from Lexus. But probably new generation of Toyota TPMS sensors would also work. The best solution (if you can) is using the sensors from your original OEM 21" wheels.
Just FYI, my local Toyota dealer was not able to program the sensors, I had to go to Lexus. They are usually not able to read the sensor IDs when they are mounted on the wheels. They must remove tires first. So the most important thing is writing the sensor IDs first before you mount them. If you know IDs, then everything is simple. You can for example buy ATEQ TPMS QUICKSET to do it (about $130, very useful tool if you have more Toyota/Lexus cars).
Center caps - I still have Toyota, no big deal for me. But I know that LX is sold in Russia with Land Cruiser 18" wheels so definitely, it exists and can be purchased.
Old 12-11-17, 09:56 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Clayton. I ended up purchasing the sensors and tires from my local Lexus dealer. I have them do all my maintenance on 3 Lexus vehicles, so they know me there and pretty much matched local tire store pricing. And they threw in a free alignment as well. Sensors were $79.00 each and everything with installation, tax etc was about $1400.00 or so. While I probably could have saved a little elsewhere, this allowed me to have one company do it all and warranty the tires, sensors, installation, etc. I too kept the Toyota center caps. If I have time, i'll upload some pics. Thanks for all your help. The car's drive is significantly improved, especially over rough roads, with almost no loss in handling on the twisties!
Old 12-22-17, 08:37 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm trying to make it through the rough Florida winter with just some 305/50/20 LTX MS.

Last edited by I6turbo; 12-22-17 at 08:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by I6turbo:
Max707 (12-25-17), mdjackson2 (12-24-17)
Old 12-24-17, 10:15 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta be rubbing with this setup in low mode, no?
Old 12-25-17, 07:57 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
Gotta be rubbing with this setup in low mode, no?
If you're asking about my truck, the answer is, not any more. Without any modifications to the front mud flaps it would rub in both Normal and Low suspension modes when backing up and turning. Keep in mind that I have 25-mm spacers on the front and 30-mm on the rear, which is why the front rubs with the 305/50/20s.

The modifications to the front mud flaps (heating them and re-shaping them a little bit) to create more clearance are easy to make using a heat gun and some basic tools.

Here is where the contact occurs with un-modified mud flaps.

Here's the clearance after re-shaping the mud flap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire recommendations