LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Stone chip repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 07:01 PM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stone chip repair

After a highway ride on the weekend, I came away with a stone chip. It's driver side, just at the edge of the wiper, approx 1/3 from the bottom.

I thought I'd try the quick fix first. I've never tried the stone chip repair before, it's free with my deductible, and I thought what the heck. It seemed like the auto glass shop wanted me to replace the whole windshield, but then I'd have to pay my deductible, and the whole process takes much more time. The chip was fixed in about 45 minutes, and it seems to be a great job. Now you really have to look for it.

We'll see if it holds up, or reflects light or something annoying.

JG
Old 02-22-16, 09:08 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jacal
After a highway ride on the weekend, I came away with a stone chip. It's driver side, just at the edge of the wiper, approx 1/3 from the bottom.

I thought I'd try the quick fix first. I've never tried the stone chip repair before, it's free with my deductible, and I thought what the heck. It seemed like the auto glass shop wanted me to replace the whole windshield, but then I'd have to pay my deductible, and the whole process takes much more time. The chip was fixed in about 45 minutes, and it seems to be a great job. Now you really have to look for it.

We'll see if it holds up, or reflects light or something annoying

JG
I'd give stone chip repair over the years on my cars as 50-50 at best.

Let us know what your insurance guy says when you ask for real Toyota glass if you replace the windshield...that request tends to separate the men from the boys.

Steve
Old 02-22-16, 10:38 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
I'd give stone chip repair over the years on my cars as 50-50 at best.

Let us know what your insurance guy says when you ask for real Toyota glass if you replace the windshield...that request tends to separate the men from the boys.

Steve
Is there even an aftermarket windshield for the LX/LC available that has the heating strip? I know what my insurance guy will say 😉. He is smart- not penny wise and Dollar foolish...
Old 02-23-16, 06:01 AM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Great question. I'm prepared to do battle for OME glass. I had enough trouble with my 4Runner and non-factory glass. That's a whole other story.

I agree - is there even aftermarket glass available? Between the low volume and the heat strip I figured not likely.

J
Old 02-23-16, 01:03 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Is there even an aftermarket windshield for the LX/LC available that has the heating strip? I know what my insurance guy will say 😉. He is smart- not penny wise and Dollar foolish...
See below...

Great question. I'm prepared to do battle for OME glass. I had enough trouble with my 4Runner and non-factory glass. That's a whole other story.

I agree - is there even aftermarket glass available? Between the low volume and the heat strip I figured not likely.
J
Actually, very likely...

OEM glass and Pilkington come with rain sensor, w/w de-icer, and the black dots at the top center of the w/s applied. You couldn't tell which is which without reading the DOT number.

Steve
Old 02-23-16, 05:14 PM
umarali
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you post the picture of chip, whats the size?
I have used a chip repair stuff from ebay in the past and it worked great.
Old 02-23-16, 06:52 PM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
See below...

Actually, very likely...

OEM glass and Pilkington come with rain sensor, w/w de-icer, and the black dots at the top center of the w/s applied. You couldn't tell which is which without reading the DOT number.

Steve
The glass that's on now still had the made in Japan sticker, and is clearly stamped Lexus. It may or may not have been replaced, but no doubt in my mind that it's oem.

JG
Old 02-23-16, 06:54 PM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by umarali
Can you post the picture of chip, whats the size?
I have used a chip repair stuff from ebay in the past and it worked great.
I can't give a before shot at this point, but if the camera picks up anything then I will post on the weekend.

J
Old 04-09-16, 04:08 PM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Long delay, but it's good in a way, because the "repair" isn't as nice as when it was first done, the area has turned white. For the first couple weeks it was clear and it was almost hard to find.

Pics.
Attached Thumbnails Stone chip repair-20160409_174203_resized.jpg   Stone chip repair-20160409_174149_resized.jpg  
Old 04-09-16, 05:38 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

The glass that's on now still had the made in Japan sticker, and is clearly stamped Lexus. It may or may not have been replaced, but no doubt in my mind that it's oem.

JG
I agree, definitely OEM.

I've had the chip repair done more than a few times, 90% of the time they don't stay fixed.
Old 04-10-16, 03:59 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Chip repair is always the best option as the windshield is a structural element of the vehicle...If that was my car, I would just live with the repair as long as the crack is not spreading. A replacement will never be as secure as the factory windshield, and a poorly installed windshield can blow out of the vehicle in a roll over situation. Avoid mobile installers of windshields (ie. satellite etc) at all costs as they are doing the work outdoors and have no control what is blowing onto the adhesive while they are doing the installation. This is a good article at edmunds which includes a link of where to find a good installer.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/repa...right-way.html

Last edited by malba2366; 04-10-16 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 08:55 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by malba2366
Chip repair is always the best option as the windshield is a structural element of the vehicle...If that was my car, I would just live with the repair as long as the crack is not spreading. A replacement will never be as secure as the factory windshield, and a poorly installed windshield can blow out of the vehicle in a roll over situation. Avoid mobile installers of windshields (ie. satellite etc) at all costs as they are doing the work outdoors and have no control what is blowing onto the adhesive while they are doing the installation. This is a good article at edmunds which includes a link of where to find a good installer.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/repa...right-way.html
Step-by-step...http://moranbahweather.com/toyota/re...039di001x.html

Finding a good installer is not complex...I simply called my local Lexus dealer and asked. The guy I use is the go-to guy for Lexus, MB, Porsche, Lard Rover, etc. dealers.

Steve
Old 04-11-16, 09:25 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On chip repair, I would suggest always asking what the warranty is before having them fix it. We caught a rock a month ago and had to have the same type of fix done to ours... in a very similar spot on the passenger's side. Similar to yours, they worked fast and did a fairly good job. Mine can be seen similar to yours after the fix. They warranty the job for the life of the windshield.

With that said, I am keeping an eye on ours as well.
Old 06-08-16, 09:45 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Long delay, but it's good in a way, because the "repair" isn't as nice as when it was first done, the area has turned white. For the first couple weeks it was clear and it was almost hard to find.

Pics.
Sorry for bringing back an old thread. But I recently got a chip about or slightly small than the size of your second picture. (Your repaired picture).

The chip didn't go thru or crack, but I can definitely feel it there if I run my fingers across.

Should I get this fixed?
Old 06-08-16, 11:02 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Sorry for bringing back an old thread. But I recently got a chip about or slightly small than the size of your second picture. (Your repaired picture).

The chip didn't go thru or crack, but I can definitely feel it there if I run my fingers across.

Should I get this fixed?
I would definitely fix it before the fracture runs away from the bullseye. I have fixed my truck shields many times. It is quite easily to fix. Go to Pepboys, O'Reilly, they have shields kit repair. Post the pictures would be better to analyze the damage.

There are a couple of ways to fix it. 1. Use a pin tag to clean the bullseye and apply the shield kit repair on. 2. If it is big enough, use the SMALLEST drill bit to drill ( not through to the other side), clean out the debris, and apply the shield kit repair. Make sure it has enough resin to hold itself together. BE AWARE .. the repaired chip does not become totally invisible, but it looks better when it first happened, and the repair keeps it from spreading.

If you don't trust yourself, call this guy....http://www.novusglass.com/services/

Last edited by DocT; 06-08-16 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Stone chip repair