LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Quick oil change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 03:57 PM
umarali
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quick oil change DIY

I have just changed oil on my lexus and wanted to put the pictures and a short video which would help in locating the places where to reach and how to do it yourself. I did not take detailed pictures but will definitely do that on next oil change and update this thread with more pictures and details.

First of all you need to drain oil pan and it can easily be accessed close to the passenger side front tire and you dont need to take off any shields to drainn oil. Make sure you place pan corectly and slowly drain oil otherwise it can get little messy as you can see in the picture.

To reach the oil filter you need to remove driver side shield at the botton which is hiding the oil filter. It is secured by i believe 6 of 10mm bolts and 2 smaller bolts on plastic cover close to hook.

Once the shield is removed you can easily access the oil filter.

Now you have two options:

1. you can first remove small plate on the bottom of filter by using 3/8th wrench and then use plastic drain plug included in the new oil filter.

2. no need to bother with drain plug, bypass that step and remove the whole filter using filter tool and let the oil drain in pan.

I used the second method where i removed the whole oil filter and changed it. This way i only had to replace one gasket out of 2 included.

Just reverse everything back and put in new oil.

I have 129,000 on my lexus so i opted for Mobil 1 5w20 extended mileage full synthetic oil. Reason was because 5w20 is better if you have over 80k miles and the extended milage give you room for 15000 mile change level but i am going to change every 7500 miles.

Now the important part, manual states that if you drain only oil without replacing oil filter put 7.0 quarts and if you replace oil filter also then put 7.4 quarts oil. My theory is that you can`t really drain all the oil so its better to fill less and add more than fill more and then sit there and figure out how to remove.
So i put 7.0 quarts of oil and the dip stick showed about quarter of an inch above the upper fill level which is fine since once you crank it up, the oil filter will take about half a quart or so which would bring it to the max fill level.

Old 02-22-16, 12:15 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by umarali
I have just changed oil on my lexus and wanted to put the pictures and a short video which would help in locating the places where to reach and how to do it yourself. I did not take detailed pictures but will definitely do that on next oil change and update this thread with more pictures and details.
Good work...is there a place on clublexus where often needed diy stuff can be posted??

These links from mud may also be of interest...it's saved as a bookmark in my LC/LC folder...

Engine oil and filter change, 200-series... 200-series oil change/

Fluid change for diff's and transfer case, 200-series... 200-series diffs and tc fluid change

I would suggest 3 things helpful for the oil change...

1. Replace the plastic canister base with an aluminum base...simply stop by your 'Yota dealer and ask for a canister filter base for a Yaris. Once you have it, simply remove the center perforated tube from your 200-series plastic base and replace it on the Yaris base.

2. Make sure you use filter wrench that grabs the canister base by the two casting lugs 180 deg apart on the base....not on the flutes of the base alone.

3. An empty wine or soda bottle makes the initial draining of the canister easy. Stick the plastic cool that comes with the filter in the neck of the bottle, and shove the bottle up into the filter base. Zero leakage.

hth

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 02-23-16 at 10:34 PM.