LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

'16 LX570 vs MB GL550/RangeRover SC/BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 08:57 PM
clipsmeyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Gotta test drive them all. Too much money to spend on a car not to drive the competition and make sure that you're making the right choice for you.
I can speak for the MkIV lwb autobiography Range Rover and the 2016 LX and the 2015 LX. I currently have all three in the stable.

The LX and the Range Rover are in a different class.

The LX's are bombproof and reliable. My Range Rover has been to the shop a few times for various things in the year since I bought it.

Driving characteristics the 16 LX is very smooth but not super exciting to drive. The Range Rover is fun to drive with the 510 hp engine.

Interior. The Range Rover I own seats 4 in the nicest leather seats and had everything covered in leather and wood. The LX has room I can fold all three rows in the LX but cannot fold the second row on my Range Rover due to the executive package. We use the lx's the haul the family and the rover is what we use when it's just me or we want to go somewhere nice. The 16 LX interior is much improved from the 15's except for the analogue clock. My wife hates that analogue clock.

They are two totally different unique vehicles. The Range Rover if it has the 510 or 550 hp engine is an awesome machine to drive, but has limited overal space. The lwb does have a huge back seat area but if you get the 4 seat package it's only really for people.
The LX on the other hand less power but has lots of room without being too big.

The other consideration is price. The 550hp Range Rover(SVAutobiography) is 200k. The lwb autobiography with 510hp is 145k and the LX tops out at 97k.

On the GL my father in law had a GL 550 previously and thought it was cheaply built and not as comfortable as the LX.

Hope this helps
Old 01-21-16, 09:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Heres a question for you...if you could only have one...which would you choose?
Old 01-22-16, 07:36 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinHusk
Just got back from the MB dealership from test driving a GL550:
- great torque and acceleration
- very cheap feel in the interior.
- seats are ok/nice but the ugly cheap looking plastic base at the bottom and sides of the seats (including the levers on the rear seats) really scream Chevy/Hyundai/Toyota/Nissan
- Dashboard: ugly, cheap looking. Nav screen looks 2006ish

Also drove the S550. Now THAT's a different deal
Did you think the GL550 is easier to drive than an LX? For me, visbility was better on the GL.
Old 01-23-16, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Did you think the GL550 is easier to drive than an LX? For me, visbility was better on the GL.
to me the GL feels longer though
Old 01-26-16, 01:59 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clipsmeyer
I can speak for the MkIV lwb autobiography Range Rover and the 2016 LX and the 2015 LX. I currently have all three in the stable.

The LX and the Range Rover are in a different class.

The LX's are bombproof and reliable. My Range Rover has been to the shop a few times for various things in the year since I bought it.

Driving characteristics the 16 LX is very smooth but not super exciting to drive. The Range Rover is fun to drive with the 510 hp engine.

Interior. The Range Rover I own seats 4 in the nicest leather seats and had everything covered in leather and wood. The LX has room I can fold all three rows in the LX but cannot fold the second row on my Range Rover due to the executive package. We use the lx's the haul the family and the rover is what we use when it's just me or we want to go somewhere nice. The 16 LX interior is much improved from the 15's except for the analogue clock. My wife hates that analogue clock.

They are two totally different unique vehicles. The Range Rover if it has the 510 or 550 hp engine is an awesome machine to drive, but has limited overal space. The lwb does have a huge back seat area but if you get the 4 seat package it's only really for people.
The LX on the other hand less power but has lots of room without being too big.

The other consideration is price. The 550hp Range Rover(SVAutobiography) is 200k. The lwb autobiography with 510hp is 145k and the LX tops out at 97k.

On the GL my father in law had a GL 550 previously and thought it was cheaply built and not as comfortable as the LX.

Hope this helps
Congrats to the lucky guy owning both of the best SUVs in different categories!
Very well said

Drove a lwb autobiography Range Rover, it is the best cross-over on this planet! Totally different league to the Germans ( and by a long shot). Anyone with good taste can appreciate the aesthetics of the vehicle right away. Other cross-overs may have more seats, but none is close to the comfort of any seat in Range Rover. The design, materials, and built quality inside are not comparable at all. SC-V8 is a blast to drive and flowing on the roads beautifully.
It is the CrossOver close to perfection except the multimedia/headlights and a few small things.

New LX570 is the most refined BOF vehicle. It has the feeling of a tank. The 16MY updated with contemporary style, especially the much needed interior. It should be the most reliable SUV in this world.

In my area, the dealer is still charging good markup on lwb Range Rover in stock. There is a waiting list for new LX570.
Old 01-26-16, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just left the car show and sat in all 3. Interior wise, to me I preferred the LX. Exterior it would still be the Range Rover. Haven't been able to drive a refresh LX but based on the older ones I've driven ride and drive goes to the Range Rover.

I don't find the GL appealing at all compared to these honestly.

Also a point of note, the Range Rover is not a crossover. It's a unibody, but a crossover denotes something similar to the RX which does not describe the Range Rover.
Old 09-17-18, 08:49 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

buy the GL in couple if yours you will be back....and then you will tell us you wished you bought the LX; i have owned the LX470/570 for years and besides brakes and regular service i had spend nothing on them $0.....
Old 09-17-18, 01:50 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

???? Isn't the RX a unibody AND a crossover? Just the same as the Range Rover, except the Range Rover is bigger. ??????

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just left the car show and sat in all 3. Interior wise, to me I preferred the LX. Exterior it would still be the Range Rover. Haven't been able to drive a refresh LX but based on the older ones I've driven ride and drive goes to the Range Rover.

I don't find the GL appealing at all compared to these honestly.

Also a point of note, the Range Rover is not a crossover. It's a unibody, but a crossover denotes something similar to the RX which does not describe the Range Rover.
Old 09-17-18, 02:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusrus
???? Isn't the RX a unibody AND a crossover? Just the same as the Range Rover, except the Range Rover is bigger. ??????
They are different types of vehicles. Being "unibody" alone doesn't make a vehicle a crossover. The RX is on a car frame, its designed for on road use primarily, the Range Rover is ground up designed to be an SUV, has a lot of offload capability, etc. To call the Range Rover a crossover is not an accurate statement. Not at all the same thing as an RX.

Jeep Grand Cherokees are unibody. So are Hummers. They aren't crossovers either.
Old 09-17-18, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
buy the GL in couple if yours you will be back....and then you will tell us you wished you bought the LX; i have owned the LX470/570 for years and besides brakes and regular service i had spend nothing on them $0.....
Well said 👍
Old 09-25-18, 09:27 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Well said ��
Buying vehicle like MB without extended warranty if no, no. 4 year factory warranty + 3 year extended warranty. For 7 years you could drive it with out much expenses.
Most scheduled service is free and big item repair is covered. Usually payment required for the repair is 20.00 fee. GL series is known for issues. There is other ones with much less troubles. Then time to trade it in back to where I bought it. I've been lucky with MB doing this. No major trouble either. Compared to Lexus MB has more complex newest technology is involved. Generally other German brands are like that too. They tend to be over engineered. No wonder they're more troublesome.
Old 09-25-18, 01:19 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!

Last week the MB GLA250 4Matic I had bought recently for my son in college just kept stalling out at red lights. I bought it as a certified CPO and I got them to add 3 more years of OEM MB EXTENDED WARRANTY which had UNLIMITED MILEAGE for a total of 7 years. Anyway went to the local MB dealership and got the main battery and the auxiliary stop and go battery replaced and they did a software update with ZERO charge. In and out in two hours without an appointment. We were treated like royalty.

Yes, MB vehicles are over engineered, but overall nice to drive. That was why I traded in my AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE (which was still running fine, but I was on borrowed time bc warranty had expired long ago) for the GLA250 4Matic.

Originally Posted by Htony
Buying vehicle like MB without extended warranty if no, no. 4 year factory warranty + 3 year extended warranty. For 7 years you could drive it with out much expenses.
Most scheduled service is free and big item repair is covered. Usually payment required for the repair is 20.00 fee. GL series is known for issues. There is other ones with much less troubles. Then time to trade it in back to where I bought it. I've been lucky with MB doing this. No major trouble either. Compared to Lexus MB has more complex newest technology is involved. Generally other German brands are like that too. They tend to be over engineered. No wonder they're more troublesome.
Old 10-02-18, 02:48 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The long wheel base Range Rover in Autobiography trim with 5.0 Liter turbo engine is probably the most luxurious and most fun to drive SUV in the world. And they look great. But they cost $180,000 or more. The LX stickers at $98,000. If you can afford the Long wheel base Range Rover in Autobiography trim with 5.0 Liter turbo engine, go ahead and lease it for 2-3 years and enjoy. (Who cares what happens to it while its under warranty). But in truth, most of us cannot afford one of these and tend to keep our SUVs longer than 3 years. The Range Rover in regular trim and with the V6 costs about $110,000 (if i remember correctly) and price-wise is more in line with the LX. The Range Rover's exterior (in any trim) is much prettier than the LX. The interior of the LX is much more luxurious when compared to the Range Rover in similar price range. The LX is also more advanced technology wise, more intuitive to operate and much more reliable. It will also hold its resale value much more so than the Range Rover. But the Range Rover will handle better on the road than the LX. I chose the LX. I love the size, weight, sturdiness and luxury it offers. I am not racing anyone and drive that car pretty casually, so its truck like handling (while well masked) does not bother me. I kept my first LX-570 (2010 model year) for 8 years and traded it in with zero problems or issues with 160,000 miles on it. (I simply got bored with it) I traded it in for a brand new 2017 model year LX-570. Its much improved and yet in many ways - still the same old tank of an SUV I loved. --- (BTW, for those who really like to spend top dollar on SUV's, go look at the Bentley, Lamborghini and Rolls Royce SUVs. Or for speed, look at the Porsche Chayanne Turbo-S) $200K - $360K - Just saying....
Old 10-02-18, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Comparing the LWB RR to an LX isn't fair, the SWB RR is actually bigger inside than an LX.

The interior of the LX is much more luxurious when compared to the Range Rover in similar price range.
Strongly disagree here. The interior of the LX is full of cheap hard plastic that is totally absent in the RR, and everything else in that segment.

The LX is also more advanced technology wise
Huh!?!? The LX is more technologically advanced than this?

I'm a big Lexus fan, but no Lexus IS more technologically advanced than any competitor, except maybe Acura.
Old 10-03-18, 07:33 PM
fosterelli
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a 2016 RR LWB Supercharged. And a 2015 X5 X35i. And a 2016 Escalade ESV Premium. And a 2018 LX 570 Luxury. So we can compare these rigs pretty easily right now.

I'll say...there are obviously +/- to all of these SUVs. Pros and cons.

The RR is by far the nicest (and most fun) SUV I've ever driven. We've had other RRs, but this one is different...much different. And the LWB is crazy, pretty sure I could park the X5 inside there. Materials are ultra, quality is impeccable, and the sound system is beyond reference.

The LX is my favorite all around rig, but that's the utilitarian within (plus I grew up working at Warn, which built a lifelong love for trails).

Hate the Escalade...we've owned two of them plus a Yukon XL Denali...finally got the wife to agree, no more GM...ever. Fit, finish, quality, reliability, you name it...ugh.

The X5 is a perfect scoot-around-town, don't worry about a thing, and pass onto one of your kids type of rig (which I did). Plus it has massive fat meat hook rear tires on there, and can be tuned to add almost 100hp.

I like that when a hurricane comes we have two great bug-out rigs in the LX and the RR...both are phenomenally capable vehicles. The only 2WD we have is the Escalade. But the X5 is obviously just an AWD w/o any offload prowess.

Any questions/comparisons you'd like about the vehicles we own just let me know! I'm unbiased and we have 5 kids, 17 down to 3...so we experience all sorts of uses and applications.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (10-04-18)

Quick Reply: '16 LX570 vs MB GL550/RangeRover SC/BMW X5