LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

How did you test drive your LX before you bought?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 08:59 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How did you test drive your LX before you bought?

The dealers in the Bay Area around me let me test drive no question asked, but only for a few miles. I totally understand they don't want to put hundreds of miles on a new car. But it is hardly enough to get a feel of the LX. I can't seem to find a place that rents the LX. How did you test drive yours?
Old 12-02-15, 09:33 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tqh
The dealers in the Bay Area around me let me test drive no question asked, but only for a few miles. I totally understand they don't want to put hundreds of miles on a new car. But it is hardly enough to get a feel of the LX. I can't seem to find a place that rents the LX. How did you test drive yours?

when you come in for service, ask for a loaner (LX)
that's how I do it with my purchases,
my sales guy/manager already know it,
so when I asked for it, they joke around about getting the docs ready.

for BMW and Merc, it's easier, there's a lot of rentals out there, AVIS, Hertz etc.
Old 12-03-15, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Most dealers don't have LX loaners...
Old 12-04-15, 09:03 AM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I once tried the technique to test drive the ES300h but they didn't have it either. I was given an IS instead, which is a nice car but defeated the purpose.
Old 12-20-15, 05:18 PM
kevikev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sales dude who I talked to when I was buying my LX suggested I do what they call a "demo permit" where they let you drive the car back to your house and then back to the dealership so you can demo the car on more familiar routes than simply around the dealership.
Old 12-21-15, 12:15 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
when you come in for service, ask for a loaner (LX)
that's how I do it with my purchases,
my sales guy/manager already know it,
so when I asked for it, they joke around about getting the docs ready.

for BMW and Merc, it's easier, there's a lot of rentals out there, AVIS, Hertz etc.
Your dealer have LX for loaner?? Ours only have RXsssssssss

I didn't even test drive a LX and placed the order lol, is kind of trusting Lexus, and expecting what it will like, and there ain't much in our area, every car arrived was sold

I remember some luxury car rental has LX before, search for luxury rental in your area may find one
Old 12-21-15, 05:00 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
Your dealer have LX for loaner?? Ours only have RXsssssssss

I didn't even test drive a LX and placed the order lol, is kind of trusting Lexus, and expecting what it will like, and there ain't much in our area, every car arrived was sold

I remember some luxury car rental has LX before, search for luxury rental in your area may find one
I am surprised the " your " dealership, don't have LX as demo/loaners.
maybe it's one of the perks fro living in California.
there are at least 8 Lexus dealerships within a 50 mile radius in my area, closest one is 5 miles from my house.

So when an LX owner needs a loaner.. they give him whatever is on the lot? perhaps a Ct200h? unacceptable.
Old 12-21-15, 05:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I live in a place with 6 dealers within a 50 mile radius...dealers here don't have LS or LX loaners. An LX owner would get an RX, my LS was in I got an ES. They have a couple GS's but that's the nicest loaner.

I think it's far more common for dealers NOT to have LX loaners than it is for them to have them.
Old 12-22-15, 01:04 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Vegas only have 2 dealership and own by same owner

I can choose whatever is available, we have CT, IS, ES, NX, RX now, but usually is all gone

I remember when I work there only one dealership in town, each morning is 120+ service vehicles
Old 12-22-15, 11:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
I am surprised the " your " dealership, don't have LX as demo/loaners.
maybe it's one of the perks fro living in California.
there are at least 8 Lexus dealerships within a 50 mile radius in my area, closest one is 5 miles from my house.

So when an LX owner needs a loaner.. they give him whatever is on the lot? perhaps a Ct200h? unacceptable.
just curious which dealerships you talking about? it sounds like you are in socal

as far as i know most dealerships here in socal do not have LX loaner. even longo lexus they don't have LX. they have LS but they don't give it out easily. glendale also has LS but i also don't recall LX.

demo cars yes, but service loaners i have never heard.

one thing for sure, most people when they take their LS in for services they don't get a LS loaner out of it. that just doesn't happen
Old 12-22-15, 11:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As an LS loaner I don't have an issue driving an ES when mine is in. I don't expect the dealer to provide a $90,000 loaner while my car is there for service.

I mean...its not a Corolla.
Old 12-23-15, 09:36 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As an LS loaner I don't have an issue driving an ES when mine is in. I don't expect the dealer to provide a $90,000 loaner while my car is there for service.

I mean...its not a Corolla.
Lol I was offered a Corolla at my dealership once when I had my GS in for accessories install of glass break sensors and tint. So your comment "its not a Corolla" made me LOLz. I talked to my sales person and he made things right and got me in a Brand new 2014 IS 350 fsport Loaner. Never liked my service manager since.

So yeah.....some Lexus dealers WILL give you a Corolla as a loaner.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 12-24-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-23-15, 10:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Did they rent you the Corolla from an outside rental agency? They can do that if they are out of Lexus loaners.
Old 12-24-15, 01:36 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I gotta believe loaners are a highly effective sales tool. Exposing your own customers to the latest, greatest from the brand they're already invested in makes nothing but sense to me. It's got nothing but "upgrade" and "replacement" written all over it - plus they'll sell the loaner cars later to recoup the majority of their upfront investment.

Stealers never cease to amaze me. Why do they charge for loaners, deny loaners to some folks, not offer a variety of models (even just 2 would be good plus a single high line LS or LX) or flat out not offer Lexus cars for loaners (Carolla or a rental)?!

Consider the battery in your key fob that they charge you $10-20 to replace. In bulk, that tiny little battery can't cost but a few dollars - if that. Why doesn't the stealer offer a "free key fob battery replacement service" to its valued customers?! They could easily train a receptionist or cashier that is already on the clock to replace them (it's not rocket science) and absolutely delight the customer with a "free" replacement service valued at $10-20! Folks would brag that up to their neighbors. It's a simple, inexpensive win for the stealer to continue cultivating loyalty.

The answer, in my humble opinion, is an improper shortsighted focus on near-term profitability.
Old 12-24-15, 10:03 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Did they rent you the Corolla from an outside rental agency? They can do that if they are out of Lexus loaners.
The funny thing is I made an appointment 3 weeks before the service date and requested specifically for a Lexus loaner. The service guy said he can only get me in a Corolla. I was willing to pay $800+ for tinting and glass break sensor but he just didnt want me in a Lexus loaner.
I also just bought the GS 2 weeks before so they should have giving me a lexus loaner because I was giving them my money, I could have installed tint at other aftermarket dealers outside Lexus so i figured they would return a good gesture and at least get me in an ES 350. It not until i talked to my sales person did he made it right. And then all the sudden they had a brand new 2014 IS 350 Fsport available miraculously.

Quick Reply: How did you test drive your LX before you bought?