2016 Lexus LX rear cargo

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-15, 06:46 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus LX rear cargo

This may be lengthy.

I currently have a 2004 RX that I thought I would continue to drive forever; however, we recently had a second child, have moved 9 hours from home and now have frequent visitors, so, we are looking for a third row vehicle. My RX has been a great, reliable vehicle. I am not familiar with the LX at all. Would a stroller, diaper bag, and lugguge for four fit comfortable in the back, with the third row folded up?

I never thought I would spend this much on a car, but, I have been very pleased with my lexus and want to stay with the brand. My dilemma, besides price, is we are now living in base housing. My cars have always been garage kept, but, now we park on a one way street, that is very tight. Since we do live on base, everything is a mile away. I have lived here for 4 months and haven't even put 400 miles on my car.

So, I know this is a completely personal decision, but, I am also wondering if I should purchase the LX at this time. I mentioned a van to my husband, which was completely shot down, but, in this phase of our life, I will consider it. I keep coming back to the LX b/c when I buy a car, I want to keep it for as long as possible. If the LX is as good as my RX, I intend to give it my oldest in 10 years.
Old 11-26-15, 07:57 PM
Dudley33
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are just looking for a third row vehicle, I would seriously consider a Toyota Sienna or Toyota Highlander. I would also be concerned about parking on a one way street. The LX is not gigantic, but it is larger than the RX or the GX. Having said all that, I love my new LX and I kept my prior LX for 13 year (it was a 2003 model). I bought it for its four wheel drive, dependabiliy, and room for 8 when needed. The back of the LX, with the seats folded up, is big enough for luggage, stroller and diaper bag. I think you could fit four suitcases and a stroller and diaper bag, there is quite a big of space. I also use a rooftop carrier for luggage when four or five us are traveling. I love my 2016 LX with the new technology, but a Toyota Land Cruiser or Certified 4-5 year old LX are also great options.
Old 11-26-15, 08:17 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Thank you Dudley33 for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 11-27-15, 02:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

with the 3rd row up it is hard to fit all those stuff in comfortably. i don't know what you consider as luggage for 4, but if you are talking about 4 small hand carry suitcases, i don't think that's going to be easy. the way you describe you need a considerably bigger suv (if you stay with suv). but with your living condition, i really think a sienna is what you should consider
Old 12-08-15, 10:28 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I wouldn't normally persist on recommending a van to anyone (esp. when they already said "no") but in your situation:

1. not driving alot,
2. parking on the street (I would never park a $90k vehicle on the street
3. need lots of cargo space AND fit adults comfortably,
4. Saving yourself $60k+

nothing will beat a van.

Show your husband a picture of the new sienna, specifically an SE (sport version) if he hasn't been updated on one.

Lease it for 3 years. If you guys like it, then buy it out at the end.

I have a 2011 SE and LOVE mine. We take tons of road trips and the cargo space is loaded up. Plenty of passing power for this V6 (I was quite surprised)

stock:

Last edited by GS3Tek; 12-12-15 at 09:48 AM. Reason: info
Old 12-08-15, 11:47 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

(+) on the minivan suggestion.
Go with a Toyota Sienna or a Honda Odyssey.

alternative is the Honda Pilot.
then the Toyota Highlander.

the RX has actually more cargo space than a GX ( with all seats up), so thinking the LX will have more is not true, unless you fold all the seats down/3rd row seat.

Another suggestion, buy a Toyota Land cruiser ( what we did) it's around $10,000 cheaper and it's fully loaded already. Can go off road better than the LX ( thanks to its 18 inch RIM).
The land cruiser also use regular unleaded vs premium with the LX ( if that's a concern for you) since these trucks get 13/15/18 mpgs

Last edited by markrivers; 12-08-15 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-08-15, 03:48 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

well if you ever have someone rear end you, better not be in the back seat of the minivan. Atleast the BOF is much stronger than the car unibody van platform. Safety is #1, room #2. If you really need 8 people in 1 car, just take 2 cars imho. Lot easier than having the headache of a minivan when you know you could of had the LX. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-09-15, 07:44 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How often will you use the 3rd row is the first question you want to ask yourself; with the 3rd row up I really doubt that it can fit all your stuff behind. The LX is rated for 8 passengers, but you wouldn't want to seat 8 all the time, the 3rd row is best for occasional use or for kids.

Cargo space behind 3rd row will always be limited on SUV, I will suggest you go take a look the car physically and decide, the interior space on the 2016 is same as the older model.

If you want to put a lot of stuff behind 3rd row or always want to use 3rd row seats, really still can't beat a mini van, Odyssey & Sienna will be the 2 cars that you want to choose for, Honda will have a sportier feel, but I think Sienna may going to have some more update soon.

LX & RX is completely different car, the LX isn't as big as the Cadillac and GM model, but it is still big, and you won't get as much MPG as a smaller RX.

There is no need to worry about safety in today's new car, doesn't matter a uni body or a body on frame vehicle, with all the new technology and design to the car, they are very safe. Present uni body car is actually safer than a lot of old body on frame vehicle. Of course, if you have a big car and good safety rating is always going to be better than small one
Old 12-09-15, 12:13 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

T4Fun has a valid point.
when it comes to being the "receiving end" of a rear end collision,
you are safer with a truck, pick up truck or an SUV vs a sedan.

there was a similar scenario where an F150 rear ended a Late model Toyota Camry on a stop light here in LA. all the passengers at the back died ( mostly kids) from the impact.
Old 12-10-15, 02:46 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate it. I will update when I make a decision.