LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Battery Question/Trickle Charger

Old 07-25-15, 11:59 AM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Question/Trickle Charger

I'm finally taking a much-needed, hard-earned, well-deserved extended vacation out of the country in a few weeks, and I'm wondering what to do to keep my battery charged in the Beast while I'm away.

Given the stories about battery/charging issues with the LX, would anyone recommend, or has anyone on here used a trickle charger with their LX? I normally start my vehicles and run them at least three times per week, and I don't want my battery discharged when I get back. I will be gone for around two weeks- which is longer than I usually vacation.

Should I be concerned, or are the stories overblown. The battery was replaced last year and seems strong.
Old 07-25-15, 12:15 PM
drich2905
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it helps any, I left my 2014 LX at home while my wife and I spent almost 6 weeks in France. No trickle charger and no one started the vehicle while I was gone. The LX started fine a few days after we got back. No issues at all.
Old 07-25-15, 12:19 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

It does help- I called the service dept, and confirmed the battery was replaced before I took delivery. It should make it fine. I turn everything off before I turn the ignition off, too, so I'm easy on batteries.
Old 07-25-15, 12:50 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Originally Posted by drich2905
If it helps any, I left my 2014 LX at home while my wife and I spent almost 6 weeks in France. No trickle charger and no one started the vehicle while I was gone. The LX started fine a few days after we got back. No issues at all.
Fracne- sounds beautiful. One of my best friends is in Greece right now loving that usd/eur exchange rate 😀
Old 07-25-15, 03:48 PM
drich2905
Driver

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Fracne- sounds beautiful. One of my best friends is in Greece right now loving that usd/eur exchange rate 😀
It was a great trip and the EUR/USD were about 1:1 so easy to do the math. My sister rented a 7 bedroom house in Provence and invited us to head over. Much better than a hotel.
Old 08-21-15, 09:18 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Default How I used a battery tender - 3 different vehicles.

Because I drove my 2007 LX470 so infrequently, I was concerned by the stories about the next generation. So, when I bought my 2013 LX570 I had the dealer install quick connect charging wires to the battery, and they supplied me with a Battery Tender. BTW, the battery tender is not actually a trickle charger, Here's a link to their web site so you can read about them.

http://www.batterytender.com/Frequen...ked-Questions/

The problem with the dealer installed wiring for the LX570 was that in order to get access to the connector to use the battery tender, the plastic shroud over the battery had to be removed each time. Someone failed consider that when they came up with the idea. I was able to snake the charging wires through the obstacles so that the connector was behind the slots in the grille and I'd be able to plug in the charger without having to open the hood or remove the plastic shroud.

Another of my seldom driven cars is an older BMW, which I leave connected to another battery tender unit. However, on that car the cigarette lighter socket is always on, so it's easy to simply plug the battery tender into the socket. That's not an option with the Lexus, since there is no connection between battery and accessory socket when the ignition is off. I tried to come up with a way to rewire the accessory socket so that it would remain live, but couldn't come up with an easy fix. Any ideas?

On my LX470, I ran a battery tender cable from the battery, through the firewall via a large rubber wiring grommet which was above the steering column, and using a quick connect fitting was able to keep the battery charged using a Battery Tender solar panel which I simply laid on the dashboard.
Old 08-21-15, 04:41 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I'm finally taking a much-needed, hard-earned, well-deserved extended vacation out of the country in a few weeks, and I'm wondering what to do to keep my battery charged in the Beast while I'm away.

Given the stories about battery/charging issues with the LX, would anyone recommend, or has anyone on here used a trickle charger with their LX? I normally start my vehicles and run them at least three times per week, and I don't want my battery discharged when I get back. I will be gone for around two weeks- which is longer than I usually vacation.

Should I be concerned, or are the stories overblown. The battery was replaced last year and seems strong.
Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. is what I use...no issues whatsoever over the years. I've got 'em installed on my LX, on wife's Dodge / Cummins, and on very large and very small Kubota tractors.

Steve
Old 08-22-15, 02:53 AM
drich2905
Driver

Originally Posted by hankinid
Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. is what I use...no issues whatsoever over the years. I've got 'em installed on my LX, on wife's Dodge / Cummins, and on very large and very small Kubota tractors.

Steve
I agree with Steve. I have Battery Tender brand on 2 Kubota tractors, corvette, boat, jet skis, etc.
They have always worked well. Most of what I use are the Jr size, but have a plus on the vette and pontoon boat. The boat charger started acting funny and I felt it was not charging so I called them and they asked me to send it. It was about 4 years old and they just sent me a new one.

They are also very helpful on the phone for general questions.

have a blessed weekend
Old 08-22-15, 11:47 AM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Originally Posted by drich2905
I agree with Steve. I have Battery Tender brand on 2 Kubota tractors, corvette, boat, jet skis, etc.
They have always worked well. Most of what I use are the Jr size, but have a plus on the vette and pontoon boat. The boat charger started acting funny and I felt it was not charging so I called them and they asked me to send it. It was about 4 years old and they just sent me a new one.

They are also very helpful on the phone for general questions.

have a blessed weekend
Awesome! Unfortunately, my LX will be spending the duration of my vacation in the body shop having the rear bumper/sensors replaced after a most unfortunate parking lot hit and run. Luckily, my damage was superficial and localized. The other guy's vehicle looked way worse, though, and his license will be revoked for being intoxicated. I assume it will start up fine when I get it back post-vacation, though. I will look into buying that model charger.
Old 10-08-15, 11:57 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

We put one on my mother's IS, as she rarely uses it. Also it's garaged in a heated, insulated garage too! We bought the Tender and the pig tail hangs just outside the grill. So if she forgets to unplug it just disconnects at the hookup vs. pulling the works down the street. Her's is a 2009 with only 2500 miles.