LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Tow Package Questions on 2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-15, 11:12 AM
ChickweedA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Package Questions on 2010

We just purchased a 2010 and I made the wrong assumption that it was already set up for towing. I called the local dealership and they can't seem to figure out what is required and I can't find pictures or instructions.

I will be pulling a boat that requires a 7 pin connection, so do I just need to buy a wiring harness and plug it into the two plugs I see tucked to the right of my spare? Where will it need to be mounted?

I see a pigtail in the glovebox, but assume this is for a brake controller which I don't think I need as my trailer has surge brakes.

Thanks
Old 07-10-15, 12:48 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I thought every LX has a trailer hitch receiver built in with wiring.
Old 07-10-15, 01:01 PM
ChickweedA
Driver School Candidate

If mine has a 7pin connector, then it is hidden extremely well. I've dropped the spare and looked in all the nooks and crannies behind the bumper. I've also done an internet search and not found a single picture of an LX's connector.
Old 07-11-15, 04:02 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

In a few posts down from this one I posted an image of my 2015 LX rear end showing the plug. yours has to be in the same place. It is off to the passenger side and a good bit under the vehicle. Mine might look different than yours as I have the 4 pin adapter plugged into mine. When this adapter is removed, it had a spring loaded door that seals the opening.

The red arrow points to the plug/outlet.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...e648144f12.jpg

Last edited by ggebhardt; 07-11-15 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-11-15, 06:15 PM
ChickweedA
Driver School Candidate

On my 2010, there is nothing in the area that you identify in your picture. Is it possible that it was removed? There is a bracket with two holes that looks like it could have held something similar to what you posted.

Thanks for helping me figure this out. I may have to drive over to the dealership because they were no help on the phone.
Attached Thumbnails Tow Package Questions on 2010-img_2555.jpg  
Old 07-12-15, 03:01 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Good luck. The dealer will be able to help.
Old 07-12-15, 10:19 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickweedA
On my 2010, there is nothing in the area that you identify in your picture. Is it possible that it was removed? There is a bracket with two holes that looks like it could have held something similar to what you posted.

Thanks for helping me figure this out. I may have to drive over to the dealership because they were no help on the phone.
Just a suggestion, looks like you need to get under your LX with some petroleum jelly rust arrester and after its eliminated the rust spray the areas with several coats of rustoeum. I did that every year when I use to live in KC with my old 100 series. Keeps everything rust free and looking good.
Old 07-13-15, 09:41 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

We were looking at a 2011 last fall at a Lexus dealer.

I got down on my hands and knees and discovered that the outlet was gone as well. I knew the hitch was under the cover. The cover had never been off, as the clips were still in place. The hitch was never used!

I made mention of it to the sales puke and then another sales puke brings out the outlet in a box along with some other stuff. Hum.... Had I not checked where was that stuff going to end up? eBay or Craig's List?

Some one else may chime in here. I suspect they are shipped with plug in a box, as well as the slide in hitch? Installed at the time they are prepped?

Also missing were the floor mats. Again they had been removed as well.

We ended up not buying it.

When we bought ours it was stripped of everything not bolted down. I asked for the mats at closing. They brought me some used mats out of anther LX and I refused them. Then a set of universal mats. Said no to that too. I refused to sign for the truck until I had floor mats. Ended up with the OEM mats. They were pissed and so was I. One of the remotes were dead too. Had them replace the batteries too.

The owners manuals were out of the vehicle too. Not sure where they were, but they produced them.

After that ordeal. I did complete the survey and someone from Lexus did call back and say all of those items should have been caught in the CPO inspection. The dealer called back and of course cried foul. Saying they were removed to prevent thief. Hum...