High Mileage LX purchase

Old 02-12-15, 10:48 PM
AlexL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage LX purchase

Hi guys,
New Guy here
I own a 07 LS, 80k miles and going strong.
I am currently thinking about getting a LX (08 or 09). Should I consider the really high mileage ones? The ones that are 100k or so miles? I feel it should be fine but want to know what to be careful about.

Currently I know of:
(1) LX570 uses timing chain. So no worry about that.
(2) Drive belts should be replaces around 90k
(3) around 120k or so, I might need to replace the "air" suspension. (I think they have coil spring inside so it is not pure air suspension)

What else should I be worry about?

thanks,
Alex
Old 02-13-15, 01:50 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 375 Posts

Only way I would consider is if I could get Lexus to take a look at it. If the vehicle had good care there is little reason to worry at 100k, but there will always be some luck involved.
Old 02-14-15, 10:57 AM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Repeat after me: "ALWAYS buy based on condition!" - Especially something like an LC/LX. I cannot stress this enough. 100k miles is not that high for a 2008 model LX. Price will always take care of mileage, but if you spot neglect, chances are, there is more unseen. Some of the biggest pieces of junk on the road are low mileage "cream puffs" that have not had their age-related components replaced.

As always, verify service history and run your fingers down all body panels to check for smoothness. It helps to look at a vehicle on a cloudy day as well-as dents/dings are easier to spot.
Old 02-14-15, 03:43 PM
AlexL
Driver School Candidate

It has the service record.

Looks fine to me, previous owner took it to dealer almost every 5000 miles.

Tires replaced every 35k miles and brakes about every 25k miles.

Dealer had it since late Nov, not sure if it is a good thing, so I can negotiate the price OR a bad thing, some things is wrong with the truck and nobody wanted it.
Old 02-15-15, 10:59 AM
SeaHawg
Rookie

It's a crapshoot. 2.5 months is about the time dealers are ready to really negotiate. The reason it has been there so long could range anywhere from where it has been placed on the lot, to mileage, color/option combo, smoker's car possibly, who knows? Have you seen it in person yet? Do you have a link? I can tell you how to pull service history ifnecessary.
Old 02-17-15, 11:26 AM
AlexL
Driver School Candidate

Here is the truck.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...71/overview/#0

service record is ok as far as I can tell.

Dealer had another one with 126k miles.

Planning a visit now, 2 hr drive.
Old 02-18-15, 06:15 AM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Looks nice- the price is actually reasonable from a negotiation standpoint. I bought a Silver/black one recently that had sat on a dealer lot for three months- There was nothing at all wrong with it besides being initially overpriced- just not attracting a buyer. Did you do a records search by VIN on mylexus website? Also, the water pump had been recalled on those. You want to make sure it has been replaced.
Old 02-18-15, 03:39 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

I pulled the history on the vehicle you linked to. It looks like the tires/drive belt/spark plugs/fluids have been replaced last summer or around 90k- That was pretty costly for the previous owner. Brakes measure ok at 8 mm (65%)

As far as the water pump recall, I would make sure that it has been replaced if yours is an affected model. Overall, there do not appear to be any red flags.
Old 02-20-15, 05:29 PM
AlexL
Driver School Candidate

actually took a test drive today.

It was OK. Although not as smooth as my LS.

Maybe it is too heavy?

How much should I offer them? Any rough ideas, guys?

Was trying to search for the recent auction prices, but no go.

I feel if the truck stays on the dealer's lot longer, they will put it up for auction soon.
Old 02-20-15, 09:54 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

My grandmother owns a 2011 LX- they are definitely as smooth as it gets in that class/price range. Comparing an LX to the LS is a bit like apples and oranges, but both are commendably refined for their respectable class.

The LS, for instance, has a near-silent tilt/telescoping steering wheel, while the LX wheel is a bit noisier. Obviously the startup is louder, too, but I digress... Basically, the LS will win any and every "smoothness" contest.

As far as an offer price- low 30's for an offer would be a good start, but I doubt the dealer will negotiate more than a couple thousand off that listed price unless the market is saturated out there. I know in AR, the 2008's still fetch mid-high 30's at auction. My auto dealer connections constantly talk about how rare LX/LC models are, so don't expect any bargain- especially if the condition is better than average. Do you have an asking price history via cargurus? You can always spot patterns based on how long asking prices remain the same.
Old 03-12-15, 04:26 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
My grandmother owns a 2011 LX- they are definitely as smooth as it gets in that class/price range. Comparing an LX to the LS is a bit like apples and oranges, but both are commendably refined for their respectable class.

The LS, for instance, has a near-silent tilt/telescoping steering wheel, while the LX wheel is a bit noisier. Obviously the startup is louder, too, but I digress... Basically, the LS will win any and every "smoothness" contest.

As far as an offer price- low 30's for an offer would be a good start, but I doubt the dealer will negotiate more than a couple thousand off that listed price unless the market is saturated out there. I know in AR, the 2008's still fetch mid-high 30's at auction. My auto dealer connections constantly talk about how rare LX/LC models are, so don't expect any bargain- especially if the condition is better than average. Do you have an asking price history via cargurus? You can always spot patterns based on how long asking prices remain the same.
I've used cargurus in the past with good success in setting up negotiations, given that an average used car dealer sits on a vehicle for no more than 90 days before they push it to auction so they'll get desperate towards the 3 month mark.

Am just starting to look for some LX's and realizing there just isn't that many of them around
Old 03-12-15, 05:01 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Ha! Just re-read my post- noticed I said my grandmother drives an LX- She has an LS 460- doh!
Old 03-12-15, 05:04 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Cargurus is pretty good- The ones that had been sitting for close to three months were obviously high on my filter- Then, I looked at asking price, color, options, smoker/nonsmoker, svc history, no accidents, cpo, then mileage. Price almost always takes care of mileage, but it won't take care of condition...
Old 03-15-15, 08:28 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Cargurus is pretty good- The ones that had been sitting for close to three months were obviously high on my filter- Then, I looked at asking price, color, options, smoker/nonsmoker, svc history, no accidents, cpo, then mileage. Price almost always takes care of mileage, but it won't take care of condition...
Words of wisdom for sure...