LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

any former GX460 owners here

Old 03-06-14, 03:01 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default any former GX460 owners here

interested in upsizing my GX to LX.
just wondering besides the size, cost, and worse mpg, what are the pluses and minuses.

How does the LX handle drive/handle compared to a GX.
Old 03-06-14, 05:17 PM
ccj4
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned a GX 470 for 6 years before switching to the LX. Wish I had done it sooner. As a female, I think the LX is easier to drive. I love the rear split gate versus the awful swing out door, the extra room, the better ride (I always thought the GX ride was great until the LX), the improved visibility because of the driver position, the suspension -- particularly on curves -- doesn't lean like the GX, handling in really bad weather and up on the high roads in the Rockies, the way the transmission performs on really steep up and downhill stretches of curvy mountain roads, and especially love that it goes down like a bowing elephant. That was a huge factor in the purchase. I got tired of having to drag out a step stool for my 82 year old mother, even with the "adjustable" height on my GX. I have an almost 14 year old Aussie with blown ACL's. Having the vehicle low to the ground is sure saving my back while lifting him in and out with his harness. Plus it seems to entertain people at rest areas when they see the vehicle lower itself. Gas mileage is not as good, but not a shocking difference. You go through tires faster and brakes -- the LX is one heavy vehicle. But, I knew that going in and I've been delighted with the fit and finish and the reliability of my LX. I hope the next gen LX has either optional no third row or fold down third row -- but the third row arrangement hasn't been a real problem; just annoying because it consumes space. So, my GX experience was very positive, but I can't imagine owning anything other than an LX now -- even though the only "child" left at home is the dog. And, I'm the only one who gets to drive it. I don't share my LX. I saw your comment about "no other bs" -- I got my LX loaded even though it seemed a bit foolish at the time, and am so glad I did.
Old 03-07-14, 03:58 PM
T4Fun
Racer

thanks for detailed response
Old 03-29-14, 05:18 PM
askad007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
If you can buy LX Yes.
Here in Middle east GX is rare car but LX like Taxi you can see it in all roads because it works in heat and easy to sell because resale value is very good, the biggest problem is price because it start for 90000 $ and top model 110000$
Old 03-30-14, 10:07 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever end up upgrading?
Old 03-31-14, 03:21 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by MjThind
Did you ever end up upgrading?
well, getting a newer GX. LX has out of date technology, so decided against it.
Old 04-01-14, 06:26 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
Just curious- what year LX were you considering? And what specifically did you feel was "outdated technology" with the LX compared to a new GX?

I recently posted something asking about a 2010 LX- I am looking to get one of those and transitioning my wife from a 2004 GX. We looked at the new GX but she wasn't a big fan of it and we also want something slightly larger than what we have. Being Toyota loyalists, we really don't have many options because I'm not a fan of the Sequoia. Seems the only options outside of the Toyota family would be a Tahoe/Yukon or the Infiniti QX56/QX80. I like both of those because you can get them with the captain's chairs but I am hesitant to buy anything other than Toyota due to how incredibly reliable the cars have been for us.

Just curious what made you stick with the new GX- maybe I need to take a closer look.

Thanks,
Old 04-01-14, 10:33 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

If you dont mind explaining what technologies compared to GX are out dated?
Old 04-02-14, 09:26 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by MjThind
If you dont mind explaining what technologies compared to GX are out dated?
hi
theres no bsm, led headlights, driver support package - those are the main things. LX has the PCS, but i want the other stuff too.
http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/features/options/

Last edited by T4Fun; 04-02-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-02-14, 09:40 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Just curious- what year LX were you considering? And what specifically did you feel was "outdated technology" with the LX compared to a new GX?

I recently posted something asking about a 2010 LX- I am looking to get one of those and transitioning my wife from a 2004 GX. We looked at the new GX but she wasn't a big fan of it and we also want something slightly larger than what we have. Being Toyota loyalists, we really don't have many options because I'm not a fan of the Sequoia. Seems the only options outside of the Toyota family would be a Tahoe/Yukon or the Infiniti QX56/QX80. I like both of those because you can get them with the captain's chairs but I am hesitant to buy anything other than Toyota due to how incredibly reliable the cars have been for us.

Just curious what made you stick with the new GX- maybe I need to take a closer look.

Thanks,

i think the GX handles better on the road, thats just me. THe lx drives very nice, and perhaps even better, but leans more in the corners. I have the premium 2010 with air suspension and that makes a big difference over base models.
Other issues i considered - slightly worse gas mileage, more likely to be stolen or carjacked and
bigger drop in resale value over the years made the GX a better continued fit for me. I dont think there is much more space than a GX that commands a $20k increase in price. A honda pilot is technically even slightly bigger than an LX! check the measurements.
LX is also flashy. I dont want to have people looking at me on the road like "wow" he has an LX.
thats just not me.

I had severe buyers remorse when i first got the GX coming from a car. But i love it now. Wont be going back to any car or CUV anytime soon.
check out the GX luxury edition. you wont be disappointed.

Last edited by T4Fun; 04-02-14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 06:30 PM
askad007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to me
if have money go to LX and pay more than 85K or take GX 55K if you couldn't pay fory LX
check your budget first>
Old 04-22-14, 06:51 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

i think the GX handles better on the road, thats just me. THe lx drives very nice, and perhaps even better, but leans more in the corners. I have the premium 2010 with air suspension and that makes a big difference over base models.
Other issues i considered - slightly worse gas mileage, more likely to be stolen or carjacked and
bigger drop in resale value over the years made the GX a better continued fit for me. I dont think there is much more space than a GX that commands a $20k increase in price. A honda pilot is technically even slightly bigger than an LX! check the measurements.
LX is also flashy. I dont want to have people looking at me on the road like "wow" he has an LX.
thats just not me.

I had severe buyers remorse when i first got the GX coming from a car. But i love it now. Wont be going back to any car or CUV anytime soon.
check out the GX luxury edition. you wont be disappointed.
Ironically I bought the LX because it was one of the more discreet pricey cars around, and anyways I come from a family who always had a LX since '96 and every single family in my extended family from both mom and dasd side also have had LXs' since 96-97ish, we all tend to change our LX's around the same time(usually when it gets refreshed or next gen comes out), right now everybody has 13's next time we have get together I'll take a picture its pretty gnarly sighting to see 11 LXs all in the same spot. And actually LX has proven to hold better value than the GX because it is such a hot export vehicle new and used no matter the mileage.

Since I've seen so many Lexus' other than LXs pass through the hands of family members, I know enough to tell you Lexus rarely introduces new technology on a low volume refreshed car. They usually introduce newer tech when they do a full redesign. Usually cars that get new technology in a refresh are higher volume cars like IS, ES, GX, and RX. The LS was more of a redesign IMO. They dont put new technology in low volume cars because they have to change meaning usually redesign components cutting into profit on the low volume cars like GS, LS, and LX.

But your reason to buy another GX is totally justifiable, because you want newer technology.