Thinking about a 2008 LX...help me make the right choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 07:36 PM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking about a 2008 LX...help me make the right choice

Hi CL Members

Its been a long time since I posted here (last year I sold my SC430). I am seriously considering purchasing a 2008 LX. The one I am looking at is a loaded, dark red specimen with 59K miles and has an asking price of $46K. It is being sold from an individual so it is not a CPO.

I want to make sure this is the right vehicle for me. I am 30 years old, married, and looking to have a family in the coming years. I am an executive at my local hospital (so I think this would be a good vehicle for a junior executive). I keep cars for a long time; I am currently driving my grandfather's (I purchased it from my grandmother after he passed) 2002 Ford Explorer (147K miles).

What are the things I should be looking for with this model? What would be a fair price for the LX?
Old 07-29-13, 10:45 PM
jayhawk89
Driver School Candidate

Just got an '09 LX a few months ago with 53K miles. It is/was a GREAT purchase! In 2003, I made a similar decision when I bought a '99 Land Cruiser with 50K miles on it. Drove it for 10 years and ran it up to 162K miles with ZERO issues! Thus, I'm using the same strategy.

If you're buying from an individual, I would do a pre-purchase inspection. It's the best $100 you'll spend. Also, be careful with options. For the 2008 and 2009, you'd be surprised to know that some of the "little things" are actually options (cool box, navigation, radar-controlled cruise control, and others). True, most people buying these cars new got them decked out nicely, but...even the "luxury package" doesn't guarantee everything.

As for price...I would guess that you should wind up in the low $40K's. Regardless, you will be thrilled with this vehicle. It is truly a FANTASTIC machine!

Good luck!
Old 07-30-13, 03:26 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I 2nd you getting it inspected. A serious issue can cost thousands. If it checks out OK, the chances are you could get 100K miles with little to no problems. They are built very well.
Old 08-03-13, 04:24 AM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

Thanks guys for the advice. I spoke with the seller earlier this week and he said his price was firm at $46K...but then he sent me a note last night saying he was a bit more flexible in price. I want to be closer to $40K so we shall see how things progress.
Old 08-06-13, 05:46 AM
jayhawk89
Driver School Candidate

I would hold out as best you can. Based on my own purchase in the Spring of this year for my '09 (decked out...mint condition from a Cadillac dealer in OK that NEEDED to move it), I would guess you'd wind up in the low $40's. Hopefully no higher than...$42k? Good luck!
Old 08-07-13, 09:41 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

WISLUGGO,

We bought a 2009 a few months ago. Great everything, but a few bugs that bug me.

Hind sight says we should have bought a 2010. The Pre 2010's do not have a USB outlet for your iPhone. It's using the mini jack that went out with the dinos. The jack works and the sound is great, but nothing (Play lists, ect... displays on the screen).

Also the phone book set up is awful at best. You have to manually place them vehicle phone book to use the speed dial features. You have to use your phone vs. the vehicle phone book if the speed dials are not set up or if you don't manually have them in the vehicle phone book. . My iPhone will not export into the LX either. VA has gone hands free so trying not to get caught holding the phone. On the Lexus site it does have a set up chart that shows what works and what does not.

Also it does suck fuel. We had a Suburban 2500 and a Ram 3500 so we were already well versed on fuel consumption. For those not in the know that's another factor to consider. Premium fuel is not needed even though it's recommended. That's all marketing between Lexus and the oil companies. Don't fall for it. It's also old fashion thinking using premium fuel. It drive no better than using the lower grade fuel.

Like your consideration ours was not a CPO, so we are stuck with the owners previous settings. If you can get out of the previous owners what they set it at, this may save you some aggravation down the road. These are not something you can change yourself. They have to be done by Lexus.

Also Lexus servicing is not cheap. They figure if you can afford the vehicle you can afford the over priced service too. We use a local shop for servicing our fleet. The 100 dollar oil change is a bit much to swallow. The overhead is off the chart by the looks of the waiting room, ect. I can see why the prices are in outerspace. Even the parts are over priced. We have several Toyota's and they have agreed to service the LX should I need any factory adjustments. We had looked at the LC but all were trashed. The Lexus owners trend to take care of what they buy as they paid an arm and leg and then some for the product, where as the Toyota is just the opposite even though the LC is also in the same price range as the LX. A go figure deal.

I've bought all my accessories on line much much cheaper. Mats for 100.00 vs. 300.00 from the dealer. All new too. the mark up is over the top to keep these places well oiled they need to gauge your wallet.

Also make sure you get the 2 smart fobs too. Buying those and having them programmed by Lexus equates to several hundred bucks each. Another ouch!

Good luck with your purchase!!
Old 08-12-13, 06:01 PM
tkbalt
Driver

Agree with low 40's after it is checked out.

60K service is big$$ if it has not been done - use that as leverage in negotiation.

We have an 09 - bought it 1 1/2 years ago for low 60's (CPO). I think we have 65K on it now. I'll take it over about any new SUV.

If the 08 is loaded and pristine - I'd be willing to pay a little more than the 40 you have in your head.