LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Dealer or locksmith for extra smart fobs

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 12:26 PM
CBRDude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer or locksmith for extra smart fobs

Trying to figure out how many smart access fobs the LX holds? Would like to add another fob for another driver and or buy the smart card as well.

Also if it's able to use the smart card as well or is that included in the total picture count?

I'm reading many posts to determine if buying them used is worth the aggravation for the service end of the deal. The common theme seems to be if they were bought used they don’t want to screw with them, but if bought new and from them they seem to be all over the idea of adding as many as you want and in different flavors too! Can you say hum…?

I see Sewells has them the cheapest. The closest dealer to me charges way over retail for parts.

Am I better off getting it done at the dealer as they don’t have to wipe out the codes? And wiping out the codes does what for me down the road? Or is a locksmith the way to go?
Old 07-02-13, 03:20 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

You can't blame the dealer for not wanting to mess with a "used" fob. They are in it to make money just like you when at work.
Old 07-06-13, 05:19 PM
gstanton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer dont mess with it
Old 07-08-13, 05:50 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

Ok, here's what's I've found out. My local dealer won't touch it. Was not surprised as they are rip off artists from the word go anyway! They totally have the Lexus market cornered here in Northern VA. They even over charge for the parts. It's so bad I can buy them somewhere else, pay the shipping and still have money left over for a tank of gas and lunch to go with it. I'll be doing the mail order deal from here on out.

So I called the other dealer which is a good hour away. They were willing to do it, but if the fobs were no good I would still be paying up for the process.

Then I called my local Toyota dealer. He was on it like white on rice. Just need to give him a heads up on an appointment and he'll do the job. They use the same scan tool as Lexus does.

Seems the dealer wants it's cake and eat it too! Can't sell squat so why not make up the difference in the parts and service end is my guess.
Old 07-08-13, 01:03 PM
CBRDude
Rookie

So what's the difference between a locksmith and the dealer doing the programming?

Besides the cost factor?

I'm told the locksmith deletes the brains and Lexus no longer has access the numbers. So you get what you pay for?

How much truth is in this statement.

Thanks,
Old 07-12-13, 12:55 PM
CBRDude
Rookie

Bump.

No know it alls here that know this. Surprised!

What's the difference between an locksmith or the dealer programming the fob beside the cost?
Old 07-13-13, 04:20 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I would answer but it would only bring out your hatred for all Lexus dealers.
Old 07-25-13, 12:38 PM
CBRDude
Rookie

OK, called a few locksmiths. All said it was a PITA and that the dealer was the only one that could do it.

All I've gotten so far is previously programmed transmitters are not doable period. Toyota even stated it. They would not elaborate either!

What's with the previous programming issue? Is it a one time deal? Pure BS? What? I'm not trying to get one remote to run 2 vehicles!

What does a locksmith do that's different than the dealership? Besides price?