LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX570 18" Wheels 42611-60690

Old 03-20-13, 11:48 AM
Traturn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX570 18" Wheels 42611-60690

Does anyone have familiartiy with the 18" wheel that is listed in the EPC for an LX570?

I have the wheels; I am looking for the proper CENTER CAP for the wheels.

Does anyone have the factory 18" LX570 wheels on their car? what center cap did you use?

The 18" Wheel is a 6 spoke. All the center caps i have tried are 5 spoke and dont look good.
Old 03-23-13, 06:36 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The current specification for the Lexus LX 570 calls for 20" five-spoke wheels:

http://www.lexus.com/models/LX/specs/

I still have the brochure for our last LX ... a 2004 LX 470 ... and it was fitted with 18" five-spoke wheels.

The current specification for the GX 460 calls for 18" six-spoke wheels:

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/specs/

This begs the question ... why is the larger, heavier and more expensive vehicle using five-spoke wheels?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 03-25-13, 01:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

I do not think the number of spoke is the total factor as to the capacity of wheels. I am sure you "could" make two spoke wheels that would be stronger than required. It is just how they are engineered.
Old 03-25-13, 07:33 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I do not think the number of spoke is the total factor as to the capacity of wheels. I am sure you "could" make two spoke wheels that would be stronger than required. It is just how they are engineered.
No doubt! However, it's really more a matter of marketing rather than engineering. Most cars and light trucks have five bolts. Very light cars have four bolts, but that is becoming less common. As the weight and rating of the vehicle increases, the number of bolts increases. At the extreme ... count the number of bolts on heavy-duty highway trucks!

My point is that the Lexus GX has six bolts ... and 18" wheels with spokes that are symmetrical with six bolts. Why does the LX, which has 20" wheels, have only five?

Not that I have "bolt envy" but it sends a subtle message that the GX is a "more serious" vehicle. I remember an advertisement for Land Rover in which they simply compared their lug nuts to the competition. Their message was ... "our lug nuts are better, so our vehicle is better". We know that's not the case, but neither is the GX. I should know ... I drive a GX, but want an LX ... and if I get a bigger garage I'll have an LX ... again!

It seems with larger wheels and larger tires, the Lexus LX should have six bolts rather than five.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 03-26-13, 05:17 AM
Traturn
Driver

figured it out. the 4260B-60050 center cap fits perfectly. the cap only fits one way. its a 6 spoke wheel with 5 lug pattern. it looks strange until you rotate it so the cap matches the wheel.

thanks for your responses.
Old 03-27-13, 04:38 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
No doubt! However, it's really more a matter of marketing rather than engineering. Most cars and light trucks have five bolts. Very light cars have four bolts, but that is becoming less common. As the weight and rating of the vehicle increases, the number of bolts increases. At the extreme ... count the number of bolts on heavy-duty highway trucks!

My point is that the Lexus GX has six bolts ... and 18" wheels with spokes that are symmetrical with six bolts. Why does the LX, which has 20" wheels, have only five?

Not that I have "bolt envy" but it sends a subtle message that the GX is a "more serious" vehicle. I remember an advertisement for Land Rover in which they simply compared their lug nuts to the competition. Their message was ... "our lug nuts are better, so our vehicle is better". We know that's not the case, but neither is the GX. I should know ... I drive a GX, but want an LX ... and if I get a bigger garage I'll have an LX ... again!

It seems with larger wheels and larger tires, the Lexus LX should have six bolts rather than five.
Regards,

SaniDel
Number of bolts is overrated, LOL - it's extra work to swap tires! Bolt circle and stud diameter also matter. Bolt circle on the LX is over 0.4" larger than on GX - not sure about the studs, though. It's all pretty massive, so don't be fooled by the lower lug nut count.

I wonder what the history behind this is... 4 Runners have had 6 for the longest time, and Land Cruisers used to have 6 all through the LX450. LX470 (and corresponding LC) were the first to have 5.
Old 03-28-13, 02:52 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Interesting ... thanks for introducing me to the term "bolt circle":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing
It would seem that as the number of bolts increases the "bolt circle diameter" also should increase to provide adequate spacing for more bolts. However, your claim that the "Bolt circle on the LX is over 0.4" larger than on GX" goes in the opposite direction ... five LX bolts need more space than six GX bolts?

Apparently ... even without knowing any of the technical details, the LX 570 is a heavier vehicle than the GX 460 so the total load rating of five LX bolts must exceed six GX bolts!
Regards,

SaniDel

Originally Posted by caha14
Number of bolts is overrated, LOL - it's extra work to swap tires! Bolt circle and stud diameter also matter. Bolt circle on the LX is over 0.4" larger than on GX - not sure about the studs, though. It's all pretty massive, so don't be fooled by the lower lug nut count.

I wonder what the history behind this is... 4 Runners have had 6 for the longest time, and Land Cruisers used to have 6 all through the LX450. LX470 (and corresponding LC) were the first to have 5.
Old 06-06-15, 07:01 AM
travolta76
Driver School Candidate

http://carreleasepics.net/2016-lexus...se-date-price/

http://carreleasepics.net/2016-lexus...-release-date/