LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

My 2013 LX570 Stolen/Carjacked

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 06:56 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry My 2013 LX570 Stolen/Carjacked

When I bought my 2013 LX, I really did not think that the car was in demand by thieves. I did not get LoJack and relied on Lexus telematics.

My car was stolen/carjacked during detailing, at a shop that i have been using for the past 10 years specializing in detailing high end luxury cars. overall the theft was ery professional job. I reviewed the video from the security camera, took all of 15 seconds and they were gone.

Now I have the inconvenience of leasing a new car, talking with the police and insurance company and the state drug enforcement agency. The most painful experience will be getting a replacement handicap placard. I will need a notarized letter stating I lost the placard.

The dealership was very accommodating finding and delivering a replacement vehicle identically equipped except except in Black exterior/black interior which I wanted, but could not get in December.

Now I need LoJack installed, to minimize any repeat. I am very fortunate that I am not hurt.

I picked up my new truck this evening, pictures to follow.

Last edited by dochusar; 02-18-13 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-18-13, 06:58 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Wait, what exactly happened?

It was stolen while you yourself were detailing the car, or a shop?

If thieves want your car, they'll take it, no matter what deterrence you have
Old 02-18-13, 07:01 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Wait, what exactly happened?

It was stolen while you yourself were detailing the car, or a shop?

If thieves want your car, they'll take it, no matter what deterrence you have
It happened at a very reputable local shop that I have been using for the past 10 years without incident.
Old 02-19-13, 04:31 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your LX being stolen, what a pain to have to deal with! Just curious, how did they get into the vehicle? Did they get the key from your detailer? I was under the impression the built in security in these vehicles would require a bit more time than 30 seconds to break into and drive away, unless you had the key.
Old 02-19-13, 07:32 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damn mann that sucks..i just hope the detailing folks were not involved in this. What is LoJack
Old 02-19-13, 12:45 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please share more details...

1. Did the detailers left the car unlocked?
2. If so did they leave keys in the car? (hope not)
3. Did you leave ownership documents in the car?
4. I understand you live in NJ? Living in a port city increases the risk since these cars get put into containers and ship into middle east.
Old 02-19-13, 10:22 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quadro
Please share more details...

1. Did the detailers left the car unlocked?
2. If so did they leave keys in the car? (hope not)
3. Did you leave ownership documents in the car?
4. I understand you live in NJ? Living in a port city increases the risk since these cars get put into containers and ship into middle east.
I was informed by the police that there were a gang of car thieves and about 18 cars stolen in a ten mile radius concentrating on car detail/car wash, restaurants and other areas where they perform valet parking.

Yes, the car is unlocked, the key fob is usually in the car and during the detail process on top of the windshield, and my leased registration and insurance card was in the vehicle (last required by law). The process is usually the same regardless whether the detailing is done at the dealership or in the shop.

My educated guess is that the car is either in pieces or in a container in the Atlantic. 15 minutes after the incident Lexus used the telemetrics to track, but there was no signal indicating either it was jammed or the car was off and the battery removed.
Old 02-19-13, 10:25 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Sorry to hear about your LX being stolen, what a pain to have to deal with! Just curious, how did they get into the vehicle? Did they get the key from your detailer? I was under the impression the built in security in these vehicles would require a bit more time than 30 seconds to break into and drive away, unless you had the key.
I think that the key fob was in the car as the detailing staff was just hand washing or lining the truck up for the wash.
Old 02-19-13, 10:26 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by imherenow
damn mann that sucks..i just hope the detailing folks were not involved in this. What is LoJack
LoJack is a theft preventive system, always on, and the police are the only ones that activate the tracking.
Old 02-19-13, 10:33 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

[QUOTE=dochusar;7773341]When I bought my 2013 LX, I really did not think that the car was in demand by thieves. I did not get LoJack and relied on Lexus telematics.

The dealership was very accommodating finding and delivering a replacement vehicle identically equipped except except in Black exterior/black interior which I wanted, but could not get in December.

Now I need LoJack installed, to minimize any repeat. I am very fortunate that I am not hurt.

I picked up my new truck and here are some pictures that I took this morning.

Old 02-19-13, 10:50 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

i like the black one better than silver, how long the insurance take to complete the whole thing till you get the new truck? just curious
Old 02-19-13, 11:11 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

I took delivery of the new truck, as the pictures show. Negotiated with the dealer. The claim will be settled after 29 days if the truck is never found or earlier if they find the truck.

Last edited by dochusar; 02-19-13 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 02:31 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dochusar
I took delivery of the new truck, as the pictures show. Negotiated with the dealer. The claim will be settled after 29 days if the truck is never found or earlier if they find the truck.
It's the detailers insurance that is paying right?
Old 02-20-13, 02:34 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

[quote=dochusar;7776039]
Originally Posted by dochusar
When I bought my 2013 LX, I really did not think that the car was in demand by thieves. I did not get LoJack and relied on Lexus telematics.

I picked up my new truck and here are some pictures that I took this morning.

Best color best year love the new front.
Old 02-20-13, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Man, what a story! Like a scene from Gone in 60 Seconds.

Glad you got it taken care of so quickly,

Quick Reply: My 2013 LX570 Stolen/Carjacked