LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

My LX570 HID AFS Dash Light Issue- Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-13, 05:11 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Default My LX570 HID AFS Dash Light Issue- Fixed

So guys last year i bought a certified 08 lx570, great car but missing the HIDs..no problem i said to myself since i put it in the 2006 lx470..this should be similar

I got some HIDs 4300k from Xenondepot (great quality and awesome output) installation was ok, little more effort than i expected..but the thing that drove me NUTS was the AFS..

I read around in the forums that if we have enough play in the wire where the bulb/ lamp sits the AFS would work since it would move without any thing stopping it..and to trouble shoot it was just a a Pain in the A$$.. i mean on the driver side unless you take the battery out every time to adjust the wires inside was just too much effort. The problem i was having ...is the AFS would work with out any issue for some time about 20-50 miles but if i hit a Bump or something it would just throw the AFS light on the dash and it kept blinking .. i would turn the car off an on it would go away...so i did it for about a month...i was ok with it but after a while it drove me nuts.

Even if i turned the AFS off from the dash it would still throw that light..so i didnt really care for AFS anymore i looked at the manual and just disabled it by taking the fuse out from box under the passenger side dash..now everything is great.

its the fuse number #11 5A ...for AFS

I have HID without that stupid AFS light + its all level nothing crazy

just thought of sharing if someone runs in the same issue..you can always take the HID out and put in the fuse and everything stock again

Last edited by UZ214; 01-13-19 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikedmr (07-31-18)
Old 02-22-13, 08:02 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I just picked up a '10 LX570 and its killing me that it does not have HID lights.

Nice work on pulling the fuse, but after HID install, can't you just permanently turn the AFS off by using the dash button? It would still light up even after disabling it?
Old 02-23-13, 12:44 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

This is exactly i was thinking, just turn the button off and that would solve it. But it didn't i guess whenever you start the car it checks the AFS system..if anything out of the ordinary it will throw that blinking yellow AFS light on the dash the dash (on/off) does not matter ...to it

if the fuse it out it just bypass that and no light on the dash..

Again that is just my experience and observation..but since the fuse it out i have driven few days and no light

Originally Posted by slowdiver
Thanks for posting this. I just picked up a '10 LX570 and its killing me that it does not have HID lights.

Nice work on pulling the fuse, but after HID install, can't you just permanently turn the AFS off by using the dash button? It would still light up even after disabling it?
Old 02-23-13, 01:42 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UZ214
This is exactly i was thinking, just turn the button off and that would solve it. But it didn't i guess whenever you start the car it checks the AFS system..if anything out of the ordinary it will throw that blinking yellow AFS light on the dash the dash (on/off) does not matter ...to it

if the fuse it out it just bypass that and no light on the dash..

Again that is just my experience and observation..but since the fuse it out i have driven few days and no light
Good to know.... I'll be doing HID and LEDs soon. Thanks again for posting.
Old 02-23-13, 06:11 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default You can have your cake AND eat it...

It was a major pain, but I got AFS to work long-term (others had as well - before me).

Post #20: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx5...dlights-2.html
Old 02-23-13, 09:28 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

i did read your thread and that is one of the reasons i actually got the the HIDS ...but i did try to troubleshoot but mine over few days but they would work like in a garage, but when i drive it after some miles something would mess it up i guess the wires inside would move or whatever and i don't have that much time on my hands..i think one issue is the stock bulbs are like L shaped and the HIDs bulbs are more like straight like and "I" so the when the wires are connected to them they almost hit the dust cover ..i think this can also be solved if we can some where get slim or thin or HID bulbs like the stock ones..

Originally Posted by caha14
It was a major pain, but I got AFS to work long-term (others had as well - before me).

Post #20: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx5...dlights-2.html
Old 02-24-13, 10:07 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by UZ214
i did read your thread and that is one of the reasons i actually got the the HIDS ...but i did try to troubleshoot but mine over few days but they would work like in a garage, but when i drive it after some miles something would mess it up i guess the wires inside would move or whatever and i don't have that much time on my hands..i think one issue is the stock bulbs are like L shaped and the HIDs bulbs are more like straight like and "I" so the when the wires are connected to them they almost hit the dust cover ..i think this can also be solved if we can some where get slim or thin or HID bulbs like the stock ones..
That's what I remember as well (on the profile of the bulbs). To boot, when the AFS is in its "neutral" position, the back of the bulb is not lined up with the center of the dust cover, but slightly off to the side, so the wires need to loop to the opposite side and under - just enough but not too much (i.e., there can't be too much resistance when the AFS is pulling the harness as it turns in one direction, or when it "pushes" the opposite way ).

Enjoy your lights!
Old 02-24-13, 10:27 AM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

I guess another option for people with older LX models is to swap in the '13 OEM HID lights.

Would the '13 lights work with the older AFS functionality? Would this type of swap be easier than the one that is described above? What would be the best option be to utilize the '13 OEM HIDs?

I really want to be able to retain the AFS functionality.

Last edited by slowdiver; 02-24-13 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-24-13, 10:55 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by slowdiver
I guess another option for people with older LX models is to swap in the '13 OEM HID lights.

Would the '13 lights work with the older AFS functionality? Would this type of swap be easier than the one that is described above? What would be the best option be to utilize the '13 OEM HIDs?

I really want to be able to retain the AFS functionality.
The upgrade to '13 lights with full functionality is a work in progress, and even Sewell Lexus has put that mod on hold as there are some compatibility issues with wiring harnesses, etc.

If you want to retain AFS functionality as I wanted to, you can, but you might need time and a lot of patience. Then again, I got lucky with the passenger side on the first try, and it was just the driver's side that took a lot of tweaking. It could very well work for you on the first try too, so go for it!
Old 02-24-13, 01:42 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caha14
The upgrade to '13 lights with full functionality is a work in progress, and even Sewell Lexus has put that mod on hold as there are some compatibility issues with wiring harnesses, etc.

If you want to retain AFS functionality as I wanted to, you can, but you might need time and a lot of patience. Then again, I got lucky with the passenger side on the first try, and it was just the driver's side that took a lot of tweaking. It could very well work for you on the first try too, so go for it!
I figured somebody was working on this swap already. If anyone comes out with it, it will be Daryl at Sewell. Sewell has always been solid.

Maybe I will just pull the fuse until the OEM swap comes out or if you have the time to do a write-up on some install pointers that would be great.
Old 08-27-13, 10:39 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

good info...