LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Does the LX570 Fit In a Single-Car Garage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 01:42 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Does the LX570 Fit In a Single-Car Garage?

May I ask a small favor of an LX570 owner? Please measure the width from door edge to door edge with both front doors opened to their first detent position. Not fully open ... no garage is wide enough for that ... just to the point where the doors hold themselves open. Thank you!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. We are currently driving a 2010 GX460 and the door edge to door edge width with both front doors opened to their first detent position is 121" (10' 1" or 3.0734 meters). Our garage walls are approximately 11' (3.3528 meters) apart, leaving a little more than 5" from the edges of the doors to the walls ... assuming the vehicle is centered! That's enough to avoid banging the doors against the walls even with the vehicle up to 5" off-center, but parking the vehicle in the center of the garage makes life easier!

There is more than adequate space between the sides of the vehicle and the walls to walk past, even with packages, but the GX is a smaller vehicle than the LX. My concern is that the LX doors will open so wide that even at the first detent they will bang into the walls.
Old 01-25-13, 07:37 PM
ccj4
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I measured 127 inches, but just to the point where both front doors will stay open on their own. I made sure to factor in the outside door trim. The back doors need 130 inches if you were to open both to their first detent. Don't forget this vehicle is long. I have to angle mine to get it to fit in the 2-car part of a 3-car garage because of the placement of the steps going into the house. I upsized last year to an LX from a GX and am very happy I did. I opted for a superbly priced 2010 CPO loaded and with low mileage because I don't want to spend the really big bucks til Lexus does something about the 3rd row in the LX. That's the only nitpick I have with the vehicle. Once you have the split rear on the LX, you'll marvel how you ever put up with the GX's rear door. Hope this info helps with your decision. Best of luck.
Old 01-26-13, 05:53 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ccj4
I measured 127 inches, but just to the point where both front doors will stay open on their own. I made sure to factor in the outside door trim. The back doors need 130 inches if you were to open both to their first detent. Don't forget this vehicle is long. I have to angle mine to get it to fit in the 2-car part of a 3-car garage because of the placement of the steps going into the house. I upsized last year to an LX from a GX and am very happy I did. I opted for a superbly priced 2010 CPO loaded and with low mileage because I don't want to spend the really big bucks til Lexus does something about the 3rd row in the LX. That's the only nitpick I have with the vehicle. Once you have the split rear on the LX, you'll marvel how you ever put up with the GX's rear door. Hope this info helps with your decision. Best of luck.
Thank you for providing the information that I requested. The answer to my question is… Yes, it will fit, but it will be tight. There will be less than 3 inches on either side for the front doors, which makes parking the vehicle exactly In the center even more critical. Even then, opening the rear doors in the garage will be problematic as they would likely bang into the walls before reaching their first detent.

I agree completely with your criticism of the GX about the rear door. I would love if Lexus would offer the split rear door on the GX, but expect that will be reserved for the LX as it is a signature feature.

Thanks again for answering my question, which will help with our decision.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 02-05-13, 03:17 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

A friend of mine hangs a tennis ball on a string, from the ceiling, that he has to drive in and have it touch right on the rear view mirror bracket where it attaches to the windshield. This places his vehicle perfectly, everytime.