LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Quality of interior materials is still low.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 08:39 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality of interior materials is still low.

I've been lurking on this forum for several years. I've owned the 2nd generation GS430 and have considered the LX for my last 3 SUV purchases dating back to '05.

Recently I went SUV shopping to replace my Range Rover Classic HSE (BTW it replaced another RR HSE with no quality issues after 85K miles). I narrowed the list down to 3: Range Rover, LX and Mercedes G (not the GL class). In case you're wondering, I never considered the Infiniti for obvious reasons --it's unsightly, even at a bargain price The Escalade has a nice exterior; though, lacks class. Benz GL is not my cup of tea.

Before test driving, I really thought after 8 years of driving 2 Range Rovers, I'd go with the G class because of its exterior presence equaled by only the Range Rover. The G class test drive underwhelmed me. The interior quality was nice, but the truck handled like it was built in the 70s (and it was). My wife couldn't get past the excessive wind noise which is due to the lack of aerodynamics given its 70s design. So sad, I really like the exterior especially in white.

Next we looked at the '13 LX. Exterior and interior improved over the '10 I looked at previously and the vintage 2nd gen I looked at in '05. My biggest gripes are still the same, this SUV handles subpar and the interior quality (type of leather, buttons, etc.) still feels out of place in an $80K+ vehicle. I'd somewhat give Lexus a pass when the LX was less expensive, but at $80K I expect more. Might explain why this generation significantly sells less than the previous generation.

Last stop of course was the Land Rover dealership. I was almost tempted to look at the Sport, but passed. Interior quality of the '12 is even better than the '09 and '05 versions I owned. Also the drive train is smoother and quieter, and for a vehicle it's size it moves and handles.

Long and short is the LX is nice, though still falls short of true luxury. I'll test drive the next iteration in a fee years when I'm in the market again for another SUV.
Old 03-08-12, 08:55 AM
chicky
Driver School Candidate

Good to hear you had no problems with your Range Rovers. I didn't consider one because of reliability issues, but obviously that's a case by case thing.

So did you buy another RR?
Old 03-08-12, 09:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i guess it's all relative and subjective, but i have yet to see another suv with better interior build / design than the lx570. even with leather quality, it's much softer and smoother than competitors. i have looked at rr, and escalade and mb and again, personally, i think lx is the best
Old 03-08-12, 10:08 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

I went with the Rover. Reliability is subjective. The quality of manufacturers across all makes has become extraordinarily good. When you dig into the JD Power dependability study, you realize that there is a minor difference between the first (.86, <1 problem) and last place (1.92 < 2 problems) manufacturers. The difference is insignificant and I refuse to buy a vehicle based on a quality study with 30K responses. Millions of vehicles are sold yearly! Now JD Power's study would be more effective if it identified the trends in problems (i.e, cup holders, engine, transmission, etc.).

At the end of the day all of the SUVs I looked at and even the ones I didn't consider are nice. It's all about preference.
Old 03-09-12, 10:05 PM
DarkStar12
Rookie

KWR, sorry but the points you make about the LX, while valid opinions, miss important points about why to choose a Lexus in the first place. How about dealer proximity, product longevity, general parts availability to name a few. How about independent service departments that know their way around your car. How about a dealer service force that has a generally better business plan than others in it's class (customer is mostly right). There are many more reasons to buy a Toyota product than how sightly the car is, how much class it has, the exterior presence and "70's design". I'm sorry you are of course entitled to your opinion but you don't mention any of the qualities that a lot of us buy Toyota products for. If people are looking for status I would think we are beat by the GL or RR. Most laymen, including the dudes at my office, can't distinguish my LX from a GX. "What kind of car is this again?" I personally like it that way.

Another opinion.
Old 03-09-12, 10:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
I've been lurking on this forum for several years. I've owned the 2nd generation GS430 and have considered the LX for my last 3 SUV purchases dating back to '05.

Recently I went SUV shopping to replace my Range Rover Classic HSE (BTW it replaced another RR HSE with no quality issues after 85K miles). I narrowed the list down to 3: Range Rover, LX and Mercedes G (not the GL class). In case you're wondering, I never considered the Infiniti for obvious reasons --it's unsightly, even at a bargain price The Escalade has a nice exterior; though, lacks class. Benz GL is not my cup of tea.

Before test driving, I really thought after 8 years of driving 2 Range Rovers, I'd go with the G class because of its exterior presence equaled by only the Range Rover. The G class test drive underwhelmed me. The interior quality was nice, but the truck handled like it was built in the 70s (and it was). My wife couldn't get past the excessive wind noise which is due to the lack of aerodynamics given its 70s design. So sad, I really like the exterior especially in white.

Next we looked at the '13 LX. Exterior and interior improved over the '10 I looked at previously and the vintage 2nd gen I looked at in '05. My biggest gripes are still the same, this SUV handles subpar and the interior quality (type of leather, buttons, etc.) still feels out of place in an $80K+ vehicle. I'd somewhat give Lexus a pass when the LX was less expensive, but at $80K I expect more. Might explain why this generation significantly sells less than the previous generation.

Last stop of course was the Land Rover dealership. I was almost tempted to look at the Sport, but passed. Interior quality of the '12 is even better than the '09 and '05 versions I owned. Also the drive train is smoother and quieter, and for a vehicle it's size it moves and handles.

Long and short is the LX is nice, though still falls short of true luxury. I'll test drive the next iteration in a fee years when I'm in the market again for another SUV.
To each his own. Your RR will spend more time broken down than the LX
Old 03-09-12, 10:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kwr

To each his own. Your RR will spend more time broken down than the LX
Old 03-10-12, 02:47 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

LexsCTJill, what a superficial reply? Did you not read my posts? This is my 3rd Range Rover. I DIDN'T have any issues with the last 2 and don't expect to have any with my current one. Clearly perceived reliability is not the only to reason to buy a vehicle or else EVERYONE would buy a Lexus/Toyota. I hope YOU get this!!!

In addition to the Range, I have a 10 YR old MB CLK430 with over 100K miles. There have been some reliability issues, but I've dealt with those instead of driving an "appliance." Furthermore, I don't miss the Lexus GS430 I traded in to get the CLK in 2000. My 3rd vehicle is a '12 BMW 750i. My point is I care more about handling, presence and interior quality, etc. than reliability.

Also I never said the LX was a bad vehicle. It's just not worth $80K+.
Old 03-10-12, 03:12 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KWR,

Did you have any issues with your '09? I only buy used and have been considering the late model Range Rover and Range Rover Sports and was curious if you had any out-of-the-ordinary issues.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-12, 04:18 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

DarkStar12, So why didn't you buy a Land Cruiser if you just wanted to "blend in"? There are more Toyota dealers, it is less flashy than the LX and it is just as reliable. Let me guess you wanted some PRESTIGE and something to stand out more than a Toyota! For most people buying a vehicle is an emotional purchase. I am a car guy.

BTW, the 70s reference was pointed towards the MB G Class. For $125K I expected not to be reminded that the vehicle was designed when I was a kid. I didn't test drive the MB GL Class because it reminded me of a minivan.

Jayson, No issues with the '09 (45K miles). I bought the '05 and leased the '09. The thing about RR is you MUST do the recommended service (on time) or else it is a crap shoot. You can't skip service like you can with a Lexus or Toyota. I will say that overall the LX is more reliable than the Range, but the LX is an acquired taste for some. Definitely buy CPO for the piece of mind. In fact I'd skip the '09 and get a '10.

Although the interior of the '09 is upgraded compared to the '05 and the BMW engine was replaced in favor of a Jag derived, the '10 has an even nicer interior. Also the '10 has a more powerful engine, is quieter, handles better and the exterior styling is more crisp. It would be awesome to snag an autobiography version with all of the custom goodies to boot. For the most part, the '10, '11 and '12 are about the same.

I can't speak in detail about the Sport. I do know that the later model year sports have nicer interiors than the early model years. PM if you want more details about the full size Rover.
Old 03-10-12, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kwr
LexsCTJill, what a superficial reply? Did you not read my posts? This is my 3rd Range Rover. I DIDN'T have any issues with the last 2 and don't expect to have any with my current one. Clearly perceived reliability is not the only to reason to buy a vehicle or else EVERYONE would buy a Lexus/Toyota. I hope YOU get this!!!

In addition to the Range, I have a 10 YR old MB CLK430 with over 100K miles. There have been some reliability issues, but I've dealt with those instead of driving an "appliance." Furthermore, I don't miss the Lexus GS430 I traded in to get the CLK in 2000. My 3rd vehicle is a '12 BMW 750i. My point is I care more about handling, presence and interior quality, etc. than reliability.

Also I never said the LX was a bad vehicle. It's just not worth $80K+.
I know too many people who have RR that are always breaking down. My friends always tell me how they are scared to go to far off the beaten path because of reliability issues.

As for the interior, to each his own. The RR is very nice, but so is the LX.

So where exactly do you feel the LX is laking? What specifics?
Old 03-10-12, 09:26 PM
DarkStar12
Rookie

Originally Posted by kwr
DarkStar12, So why didn't you buy a Land Cruiser if you just wanted to "blend in"? There are more Toyota dealers, it is less flashy than the LX and it is just as reliable. Let me guess you wanted some PRESTIGE and something to stand out more than a Toyota!
No, I own a Toyota already, it's not about prestige. I wanted the LX for the PCS, AHC, and other options not afforded to a LC that year.

And Toyota dealer service, compared to Lexus, flat out SUCKS.

Last edited by DarkStar12; 03-10-12 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 11:04 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, interesting. It is obviously so subjective. I never went with the RR for I perceive it a low-quality, unattractive vehicle. Certainly checking one out at the dealership and going for a test drive re-enforced that impression. On the other hand, the LX won over by the build and design quality, and the superior interior. To each its own, as they consistently say BTW, same goes for the G-klass. Even though I owned one in the past, I would not be able to say it is comparable with the LX. Technically - yes, but once you experience both and live with both for a while - no.
Old 03-11-12, 06:15 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

kwr:

While the LX570 is a great car (my family got it in 09 right when it came out) that will last you a long time, hold its resale value, and take care of you in poor weather, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to others. For context, we have always been a Toyota truck family (4Runners, LX470, LX570) and I love the truck feel of those cars. However, the LX570 just feels too soft and "boaty". It's not an inspiring drive at all. It feels neither like a truck nor a car.

I haven't ever driven an RR, so unfortunately I can't provide any comparisons with them. However, I do feel that the LX470 has a decent interior. I remember being impressed with this (huge improvement over our LX470) when I hopped in the car. I also feel that Lexus provides the best leather out of the luxury brands I have experience with (sorry, no experience with Jag, RR, or the other British marks which are known for their leather ).

I've realized that this post is probably not helpful to you. Regardless, enjoy the car shopping experience. In this price range, you really can't go wrong.
Old 03-11-12, 11:48 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

My neighbors RR has been in the shop 4 times in the six months he has owned it.

Worst is the loaner they gave him would not start and I had to take him to work in my LX

I have owned 5 LX470 and three LX570 and could count my problems one one hand. Non of my LX units have ever left me on the side of the road or failed to get me where I needed to go.

That is worth something to me.

Quick Reply: Quality of interior materials is still low.