LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

gave up on the 2013 Lx570, bought an Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 06:22 AM
chicky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrduck
Check with lexus of Sacramento ask for Mike Kennedy in internet sales.
Mike is one of the people I dealt with.

His best deal was $1,500 off MSRP and $57,500 on my LC. (I got $61,000 for the LC).

Uh, thanks anyway.

It's why I'm drivin' an Infiniti.
Old 03-06-12, 07:26 AM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chicky,
How many miles were on your LC when you sold it?
Old 03-06-12, 07:42 AM
chicky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John R.
Chicky,
How many miles were on your LC when you sold it?
The LC had 10,600 miles.

An offer of $57,500 (another Lexus dealer offered $55k, and another said they couldn't come close to $60k) was just insulting. So for me, it was the one-two punch of "we're going to barely discount this LX and we're also going to ream you on the trade" that turned me off the LX.

Oh, and we're going to be rude and obnoxious about it. One dealer called me "dear" which was condescending. Another made a deal and backed out. Another gave me a price of MSRP then when I asked about a better deal, stopped communicating with me altogether.

Lexus may be "more prestigious" in the minds of some, but the dealers are as rotten as they come from my experience.
Old 03-06-12, 08:00 AM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is often related to the sales consultant you get. I have heard of experiences like yours at many dealers, not just Lexus. I had a wonderful experience with my sales consultant at McGrath Lexus of Westmont after a horrible experience with the whole Lexus of Merrillville Indiana. When I realized the games they were playing, I ask for my deposit on an RXh that had not even been built, and they refused to return it. I ended up talking to the Lexus district office. Totally different experience with Steve Gibson at McGrath. I understand the dealers are pestered with requests from overseas for the LX570.
Old 03-06-12, 09:27 AM
chicky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John R.
I think it is often related to the sales consultant you get. I have heard of experiences like yours at many dealers, not just Lexus. I had a wonderful experience with my sales consultant at McGrath Lexus of Westmont after a horrible experience with the whole Lexus of Merrillville Indiana. When I realized the games they were playing, I ask for my deposit on an RXh that had not even been built, and they refused to return it. I ended up talking to the Lexus district office. Totally different experience with Steve Gibson at McGrath. I understand the dealers are pestered with requests from overseas for the LX570.
Oh, I'm sure that's true! I would love to have found a decent Lexus dealer in Northern CA.

When I bought my GS 430 5 years ago I had a horrible experience at Lexus of Roseville. We agreed on a price over the phone and when I showed up they backed out. I stood up, said give me my keys back (they were looking at my trade). I had to ask 4 times for my keys back. I was starting to get hot. They finally honored the agreed upon price, but there is no excuse for shenanigans like that. All the cars I've ever bought I always make deals over the phone and not a single one has ever not honored our agreement--except Lexus. How's that for prestigious? Prestige maybe, honorable, not even close.

This time with the LX I contacted 8 dealers. I didn't have even a reasonably good experience with even one of them. And as you can see, I am very experienced with buying cars and I know my way around a deal. I have had super experiences with many dealers, but my own personal experiences with Lexus dealers in Nor Cal are as negative as they come. Not just in regards to price negotiation, but also in treatment, respect and plain ole telling the truth.

I even used Costco's auto buying service, who directed me to Lexus of Roseville (egh). They contacted me and said, "the MSRP of this car is xxx" I said, are you telling me the Costco price is MSRP? He never did provide me with the Costco member price on the LX.
Old 03-28-12, 05:47 PM
mjc123
Driver School Candidate

My wife drives a 2010 QX56, and I honestly think it's the best/nicest SUV on the road today, and I have owned several LX's, Range Rover's, etc. Feels quicker than the LX, better ride/handling, and the technology much more up to date (surround cameras, reverse guidance/graphics, etc. etc.). That's not to mention it's $20k less than the LX.

That being said I'm picking up a new '11 LX570 tomorrow, mainly because I'm getting $12k off sticker price and a guaranteed trade in value of at least $76k ($1k less than I am paying for it) towards the new LS that is coming out in November.
Old 03-28-12, 08:08 PM
mrduck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mjc123
My wife drives a 2010 QX56, and I honestly think it's the best/nicest SUV on the road today, and I have owned several LX's, Range Rover's, etc. Feels quicker than the LX, better ride/handling, and the technology much more up to date (surround cameras, reverse guidance/graphics, etc. etc.). That's not to mention it's $20k less than the LX.

That being said I'm picking up a new '11 LX570 tomorrow, mainly because I'm getting $12k off sticker price and a guaranteed trade in value of at least $76k ($1k less than I am paying for it) towards the new LS that is coming out in November.
12k off is a great price, We can now get a real comparison on both of these cars since you are and going to have owned both.
Old 03-29-12, 11:40 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mjc123

You must be a good friend with the dealer to get that "guaranteed trade in value". Loosing $1k in 6 months owning is bargain and I would do the same too.

Congrats and please take pictures Side-by-Side.
Old 03-31-12, 01:35 PM
apdxyk
Driver School Candidate

There is something definitely different in North Cali market. Even browsing Craigslist ads conveys the feeling.
I can offer another evidence of this from a very different and, possibly, unexpected prospective. I provide a [town] car service in Portland, OR and every now and then we have these booking calls from CA folks who fly into PDX, have a ride with us to Salem, where they buy a Yota and head back to North CA. And they come in waves, one after another. Apparently, there is enough price differential to justify the expense in time and money.
As for our local dealer - Lexus of Portland, I had nothing but excellent experience in buying and servicing my machines.
Old 04-01-12, 06:18 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chicky
I don't think it has cylinder deactivation....

I got about 12 mpg city with the LC, so I'm used to the poor gas mileage. A cost of driving such a big vehicle.
I'm surprised you were only able to get 12 city. We bought a new Land Rover Range Rover last fall and have consistently gotten 15.8-16.5 city and 18-20 highway.

I know you mentioned reliability in your wish list. Personally, we have had a worry free past 6 months with our Land Rover. I belong to a couple different Land Rover forums, and from what I have been hearing from other owners is that the Range Rover has been mostly trouble free since 2008.

I too like the refresh on the LX and Land Cruiser. If I were to buy another full-size suv right now (to compliment our Range Rover, not as a replacemet) I would buy the 2012 Land Rover LR4 or the 2013 Land Cruiser. I think a lot of my pet-peeves with the 08-11 have been addressed for 13 with the exception of maybe an even nicer interior (example-leather dash pad, real wood, rear seat entertainment in each headrest).
However, the 13 Land Cruiser does have the surround view camera system, cooled/ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel and HID headlights. Still not as much as your QX and most of it's competitors though.

Congrats on your new QX!

Last edited by jjbenzo; 04-02-12 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-10-12, 01:13 PM
genedwes
Driver School Candidate

I did look at the new LC, but I still found the exterior styling bland, so I didn’t even look at the new options available on it.

As far as comparing my 2011 LC to the QX, the QX had the following things I was looking for:

--rain sensing windshield wipers
--cooling seats
--3rd row seats that fold flat into the floor (power)
--power rear liftgate
--rear window intermittent wiper
--real wood trim (the interior of the LC was very nice, but the leather, look and overall feel of the QX is much more luxurious)
--heated steering wheel
--remote power 2nd row seats that fold forward with a button from the front seats
--around view cameras that show all around the truck
--body motion control system
--intelligent cruise control
--distance control assist
--blind spot warning system

I paid a bit more for the 2011 LC which was missing all this stuff than I paid for the 2012 QX, and I like the exterior styling more on the QX. As I said in my original post, most people thought I drove a Highlander!

Enjoy shopping!

Hmmm, a couple more things added on edit: I really wanted dual screen rear DVDs on the back of headrests which my old LC didn't have. AND the sound system on the QX blows the LC system out of the water! I'm not an audiophile so that's not a deal breaker for me, but a nice added bonus.
The 2013 LC has most all those features! Just bought one! It's one fine truck!! Traded in a 2008 BMW x-5 4.8 and had LX 470 prior! Couldn't be happier. Will never have a vehicle with AHC again.
Old 06-23-12, 08:37 PM
skipro01
Driver School Candidate

Default It's still Not a Lexus

After shopping in the large luxury SUV category, I decided to buy a QX56. Here’s what I shopped and my impressions:

GL550-owned one. Hated it. Miserable owner and dealer experience. This SUV was the least ergonomically friendly vehicle I’d ever owned. You load the rear DVD under the back passenger seat? Who thought of that stupid design? The ipod integration was in the glove box. Who wants their ipod in the glovebox? It spent more time being repaired than on the road. I’ll never forget being out in the boonies and the car just died at a stop sign.

Land Cruiser-traded in a 2011 for the QX. Very nice but missing a lot of luxury amenities for the price. I paid for a lot of off road capability I will never use. The ride was somewhat harsh, but I had 22” wheels and low profile tires which could account for that. The steering and handling was great and the interior was top notch, although not luxurious. The exterior styling is bland with the comment I got most often being “nice Highlander”.

Range Rover-definitely has brand cache. Luxurious and I like the looks. But I live 100 miles from a dealer and couldn’t stand the idea of hanging out in the service department waiting room while they fixed it all the time. And after my experience with the Mercedes, I knew reliability was a factor for me.

Escalade-drives and rides very nice. The interior was the worst in it’s class, reminding me of trucks from 20 years ago. I hated the side step that extends and retracts. And it was missing a lot of the technology and luxury amenities that I was looking for. And there’s tons of these around.

LX570-a little bland, but a much better design for 2013. Top notch in every way and I would have been very happy owning one. Interior is a-plus. But you’re paying a hefty premium for the Lexus name and dealers were not willing to budge on price or trade in value of my Land Cruiser. Probably would have bought one if they had been more willing to deal.

QX56-although I have the money to buy the LX, the fact that the QX was $20k less and has all the luxury amenities of the Lexus made this car a great choice. The exterior styling is a point of contention for many, but I for one like it and I like the very different look of this large SUV. The drive and handling is superb and the acceleration was amazing. The interior quality is fantastic. The dealer I bought from (Sacramento Infiniti) was one of the best buying experiences I’ve ever had and it was like night and day from dealing with Lexus dealers. No pressure, great price, and they gave me a super trade in value. I only paid $500 over invoice and I think I could have done better, but I’m very happy with my deal. The fact that the 3rd row seats fold flat into the floor was a wonderful added bonus since I only use them about once a year. I got a fully loaded 4wd with theater package, technology package, touring package and wheel and tire package for about $70k.
I own a 2011 LX 570. I am looking at replacing my wife's GX 470. We took a test drive in the QX56 and as you pointed out there is a $20K difference in price, however, there is also a difference in quality you didn't mention. I wouldn't try to compare it to an LX, nor would I the GX. It is a nice vehicle however, in my opinion, anyone that test drives one will see, hear and feel the difference immediately. If it was the same quality, they would charge accordingly. I do like some of gadgets however when your not number 1 you need something to attract.
Best, T
Old 06-23-12, 09:05 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I haven't drive a QX yet, but the newer look of the QX is not my liking, I rather have the older body style on those QX, I think the newer body style QX is like monster van:-)
Old 06-23-12, 09:37 PM
skipro01
Driver School Candidate

Default Agreed

Originally Posted by ohiois350
I haven't drive a QX yet, but the newer look of the QX is not my liking, I rather have the older body style on those QX, I think the newer body style QX is like monster van:-)
Agreed! No comparison.
Old 06-25-12, 12:21 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I would post up my recent QX experience.

I'm on my 3rd straight Lexus. Time for a family and we decided to buy a full size SUV. My wife will be driving the car so only she test drove the cars. I sat in the passenger seat.

She wants the QX. In my opinion the car looks like an bubbly shoe, she loves it. I hate it and would rather buy the 13 LX, I begged and pleaded but we test drove the cars back to back in Sacramento. I don't know if I can trust the quality of an Infiniti.

I said things like doesn't the LX feel more solid and have a nicer interior, she disagrees and said the QX seemed more modern and luxurious. She also thought the QX drove a lot better on the road and a lot smoother. The two things she loved about the LX was the cooler in the center console and the ability to lower the car.

And she got me in the safety features, why doesn't the LX have a blind spot monitoring system and lane departure. Radar cruise adds precollision have to be ordered.

Why Lexus have you made me buy an Infiniti by not even putting basic tech features found on a Sequoia.

Quick Reply: gave up on the 2013 Lx570, bought an Infiniti