LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Looking at high mileage LX570

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 08:50 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at high mileage LX570

Looking at pulling the trigger on a 2008 from a Lexus dealer, with 120k miles on the clock, all hot miles, with regular and up to date servicing from the dealership. I'm trading in my LX470 (my second - love the LX!).

I know Land Cruisers can do up to 600-800k miles from some of the stories I read over in the LC forum, and I guess the LX will have a similar history of longevity.

My question is, does anyone know what expensive bits will need replacing soon, apart from the obvious, like tires, wheel bearings and starter motor? For example, exhaust, engine bearings, diff etc.

And also, has anyone seen how the driver's seat wears with high miles? I haven't seen the truck yet since it is being groomed by the dealer, but I have seen a 65k mile model on eBay with almost no wear on the seat that I can see, so I'd like to be optimistic.
Old 06-13-11, 10:36 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Oh, and the air suspension of course. Wonder how long the spheres last?
Old 06-13-11, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for air suspension i would be cautious after 120-150k, just look at ls400 and ls430 owners with the air suspension and you can get an idea
Old 06-14-11, 01:35 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
for air suspension i would be cautious after 120-150k, just look at ls400 and ls430 owners with the air suspension and you can get an idea
Thanks. From a quick look it seems that these owners have pre-2003-5 cars. Let's hope the technology has advanced since then!
Old 06-15-11, 03:22 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

Well, I make the decision tomorrow on viewing the 570, so it'll be interesting to see how the truck looks and performs. A lot of the interior equipment is familiar to me since I owned a 2007 LS600hL a couple years back, and it will be good to go back to some really useful technology I miss - like Bluetooth, dynamic cruise and backing camera.

One point in the 570's favor is the 18" wheels, for comfort. I tested a 2010 model with the 20" a while back and wasn't very impressed with the skittish and jouncy ride in the city. My current LX470 rides on 17" Dunlops, and is smooth and luxurious, so the smaller wheels are exactly what I need for my aged frame
Old 06-15-11, 07:56 PM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS600guy

And also, has anyone seen how the driver's seat wears with high miles? I haven't seen the truck yet since it is being groomed by the dealer, but I have seen a 65k mile model on eBay with almost no wear on the seat that I can see, so I'd like to be optimistic.
Well, in my 2008, with 40K, the driver's seat looks like crap, but I have a big azz. Don't be surprised by some wear. And in my experience, it isn't the 20" wheels that gives the problem, it is the Dunlops. I have 20" and when I changed out the Dunlops for Michelins, the difference was amazing. I think the timing belt at 90K is recommended service, but not sure. All that said, I love my 570, way better unit than my 470.
Old 06-16-11, 12:17 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikeivan
Well, in my 2008, with 40K, the driver's seat looks like crap, but I have a big azz. Don't be surprised by some wear.
Did the test drive this afternoon. Looks like the original driver was a 45lb WeightWatcher. The seat was in remarkably good condition, even around the bolster where the most wear occurs.

And in my experience, it isn't the 20" wheels that gives the problem, it is the Dunlops. I have 20" and when I changed out the Dunlops for Michelins, the difference was amazing. I think the timing belt at 90K is recommended service, but not sure. All that said, I love my 570, way better unit than my 470.
I've read the complaints about Dunlops on the 570. The PO went offroad on farmland, so he had fitted Cooper Zeons, a tire brand I'd never previously heard of, and obviously bought for the knobbly tread advantage. It's a little noisy on the tarmac, but the tread is new, so I'm thinking about it a bit before getting to the Michelins.

Good to know you prefer your 570 over the earlier model. On my test drive today I didn't want to get out - it just drives so nicely and got better the longer I was in it. Many 470 owners say they like the upgrade, and I'm very happy with my decision too.

Pick it up tomorrow after the usual servicing checkups etc.
Old 06-16-11, 12:29 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

...I think the timing belt at 90K is recommended service, but not sure...
I thought the timing chain was metal? I'll find out anyway - don't want to be caught out on this part!
Old 06-16-11, 03:36 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Well, in my 2008, with 40K, the driver's seat looks like crap, but I have a big azz. Don't be surprised by some wear. And in my experience, it isn't the 20" wheels that gives the problem, it is the Dunlops. I have 20" and when I changed out the Dunlops for Michelins, the difference was amazing. I think the timing belt at 90K is recommended service, but not sure. All that said, I love my 570, way better unit than my 470.
There is no timing belt.

Has dual timing chains that will not need replacing at 90k
Old 06-16-11, 05:11 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the timing chain was metal? I'll find out anyway - don't want to be caught out on this part!
Oops, you are correct, mixed it up with my wife's 430. Good luck with your 570.
Old 06-16-11, 04:28 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Oops, you are correct, mixed it up with my wife's 430. Good luck with your 570.
Thanks. I wouldn't normally look at anything with such high miles for a car that I only use to go to the shops, but the pedigree and history of the LX keeps me comfortable.

Once I get a couple of very minor cosmetic faults fixed it will look like new.
Old 06-17-11, 02:57 AM
yrbender
Driver School Candidate

Congrats. Get them to throw them in a warranty if it's not too late. The coopers are great tires if you do any off road driving.
Old 06-17-11, 03:48 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by yrbender
Congrats. Get them to throw them in a warranty if it's not too late. The coopers are great tires if you do any off road driving.
We're over any warranty period unfortunately. I have the option of a powertrain warranty, but haven't yet taken the plunge. I figure if transmission has gone this long - still silky smooth - my 8k miles average a year won't affect it much.

I like the Coopers a lot. Nice looking with purposeful tread. I did about 2 hour's city/highway driving today after picking the 570 up from the dealer, and the tires are great. Not only are they reasonably quiet on paved roads, but if I ever wanted to go offroad (not that I would), the advantage is there too. They are very popular with the RR set, and have the advantage of getting almost no negative comments after nearly 200 user reviews at one of the the Land Rover websites.

The only knockback is that I get a slight side to side 'wiggle' turning slightly at city speeds. Might be the sidewall flex, but it is not that obvious and it's easy to overlook.

The tire & suspension setup is something else, far better than my 470. I came back home through some roadworks on a rough road, and it sailed through with only the occasional bump to remind me we were hitting some pretty sizeable potholes. I watched as the SUVs around me were bouncing and taking it hard, while the 570 stayed serene and unflappable. It just keeps on getting better with every mile.

For size, the 570 feels the same size as the 470 to me, even though many people have mentioned that it feels like a big truck to them. I like the interesting view over the sculptured hood - quite unique.

Tonight I got the voice dial running with my iPhone 4, it only took a couple of minutes to set up with the usual Lexus ease. It's a far cry from the phone system in my Bentley Continental GT which I've given up trying to get working.

And the 570 is getting poorer fuel economy than the Bentley round the city. I can get 16 liters/100km with its W12 6 liter engine, but the best today with the V8 570 is 20.1 liters/100km. Same driver, me!
Old 07-10-13, 09:12 PM
chiggy
Driver School Candidate

We're over any warranty period unfortunately. I have the option of a powertrain warranty, but haven't yet taken the plunge. I figure if transmission has gone this long - still silky smooth - my 8k miles average a year won't affect it much.

I like the Coopers a lot. Nice looking with purposeful tread. I did about 2 hour's city/highway driving today after picking the 570 up from the dealer, and the tires are great. Not only are they reasonably quiet on paved roads, but if I ever wanted to go offroad (not that I would), the advantage is there too. They are very popular with the RR set, and have the advantage of getting almost no negative comments after nearly 200 user reviews at one of the the Land Rover websites.

The only knockback is that I get a slight side to side 'wiggle' turning slightly at city speeds. Might be the sidewall flex, but it is not that obvious and it's easy to overlook.

The tire & suspension setup is something else, far better than my 470. I came back home through some roadworks on a rough road, and it sailed through with only the occasional bump to remind me we were hitting some pretty sizeable potholes. I watched as the SUVs around me were bouncing and taking it hard, while the 570 stayed serene and unflappable. It just keeps on getting better with every mile.

For size, the 570 feels the same size as the 470 to me, even though many people have mentioned that it feels like a big truck to them. I like the interesting view over the sculptured hood - quite unique.

Tonight I got the voice dial running with my iPhone 4, it only took a couple of minutes to set up with the usual Lexus ease. It's a far cry from the phone system in my Bentley Continental GT which I've given up trying to get working.

And the 570 is getting poorer fuel economy than the Bentley round the city. I can get 16 liters/100km with its W12 6 liter engine, but the best today with the V8 570 is 20.1 liters/100km. Same driver, me!
I bought a new set of Cooper off road tyres for my LX 470 and went on a 10,000Km drive into the Australian outback in the middle of summer. For the first time ever on one of my outback trips I didn't get a puncture but when I got back to Sydney I noticed the rear tyres had big chunks of rubber taken out. I went back to the tyre dealer who was surprised to see the damage but replaced them free of charge.
I got onto a cooper tyre forum somewhere and noticed I'm not alone with this problem, good for pavement, rubbish on dirt.
Old 07-12-13, 01:47 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

+10 on the Michelins for road work!

Quick Reply: Looking at high mileage LX570